Jan 28, 2021, 04:02 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Thread OP
Build Log

Next project; some kind of boat. OK this one!,

My last couple of builds used several items from the parts bin. Decided it was time to use some of the wood scraps I have on hand. So, goiing to scratch a simple 18” long boat. Not sure what kind of boat just yet.
Thinking about a Lafitte skiff look-somewhat- alike. Then again, a slip on the bandsaw & it might be a tug; another miscue & it might be a pilot boat!
Last edited by chum444; Feb 07, 2021 at 10:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2021, 10:09 PM
The Sicilian Texan

Another boat

Chum444, just watch your fingers and thumbs using that bandsaw.
Feb 01, 2021, 04:35 PM
Thread OP
Initial look at bulkheads mated to keel blank. Now it’s time for error corrections.
Feb 01, 2021, 06:03 PM
Ummm....I think I saw that at the Museum of Modern Art..........
Feb 01, 2021, 06:43 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Oh No Jeno...it's the Long Island trademarked Eco Logo by Reid T. Carlton !-"save our Island" (Carlton Clothing Co.)
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Feb 01, 2021 at 07:33 PM.
Feb 01, 2021, 06:53 PM
Thread OP
J, I hope. It doesn’t turn into fire wood. The lines I had were minuscule. By the time I enlarged them they were almost illegible; using proportional dividers to get the final size was largely guesswork. Good brain exercise project so it’s still interesting at this point. It is going to be a challenge to make this one work.

Sure hope we can get a Maine event together in 2021.
Bill
Feb 01, 2021, 07:31 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Bill-pick up a roll of this stuff at the local home store.-its fiberglass drywall tape with a resin adhesive on one side-its cheap -I use it all the time to see the form of all the frames before it all becomes permanent.
Feb 01, 2021, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
Excellent tip Bob. Thanks.

Bill
Feb 02, 2021, 08:15 AM
Old Duffer
Bill, if it all comes out true with the tape just 'glass it ! Instant hull!
Feb 02, 2021, 08:25 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
LOL- that's how I made the master for my fleet boat mold-several layers of crisscrossed tape and skim coats of Bondo and some creative body work.
Feb 02, 2021, 09:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garboard
Bill, if it all comes out true with the tape just 'glass it ! Instant hull!
Tim,
I already have discovered the bulkheads are not fair. So my “working from lines” skills will need significant improvement before I can get to an instant hull.
Feb 02, 2021, 10:12 AM
Bob, Interesting technique!
Bill, you will need to bring if/when we get together this year, probably toward fall. You are welcome to come up today....but it is not a good one for boating, to much wind for the ice boats!
Feb 02, 2021, 11:57 AM
Old Duffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
LOL- that's how I made the master for my fleet boat mold-several layers of crisscrossed tape and skim coats of Bondo and some creative body work.
Looks great from here! How long is it?

Bill, you would think Jeno would plow the snow off the lake in his front yard so we could use it when the wind moderates. .....
Feb 02, 2021, 12:06 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garboard
Looks great from here! How long is it?
Thanks , Its been a while (don't remember)...50 something inches or 1/64
Feb 02, 2021, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
Took out a couple of frames; adjusted height of some others resulting in hope that this might actually turn out okay. Frames now mostly fair with just one or two needing further attention. Still doesn’t look very good but I’m gaining confidence it will work out.

Have decided which vessel I will simulate but don’t want to disclose it yet just in case this ends up being converted into a teapot!

Quick Reply