5 Ways to Survive Winter as a RC Pilot

5 things you can do to survive the winter months and make it with a sound mind to the spring flying season.

Splash

What to do in Winter

I don't know about you, but I'm having a hard time remembering the last good day I had at the flying field. I hate cold weather and that makes it hard to get out there and have some fun over the winter months. March is not too far away and with it comes the promise of warmer weather and better days of flying. I was just thinking how am I going to make through nasty February and came up with this list. Let me know if you plan to do any of these too or if you have other ideas on how to survive until spring.

1. Simulator Time

The first thing to do on my list is to use the Realflight simulator. It's fun, gets your hands on a transmitter and lets you fly indoors where its nice, warm and comfortable. You can practice new maneuvers, try new aircraft and even meet up virtually with your buddies to hang out, chat and fly together. It's a great way to scratch your RC itch.

2. Tinywhoop Flights

After the simulator, you might be looking to fly a real world aircraft. Well you can still do that indoors with a Tinywhoop style FPV drone. These tiny quadcopters are perfect for flying around your house. You can set up items you might have laying around to create an obstacle course. Check out the race course I built in my house back in 2019 here.

3. Work on Project

The next best thing from flying a plane is building. Now's a great time to clear your workbench of clutter and get started on that build project you've been putting off. I have a couple of sailplane fuselages I need to work on and I always enjoy the time I get to spend at my work bench.

4. Discuss on RCGroups

If you need something to do with between flying on the sim and building, then hanging out on RCGroups is just the ticket. The world's largest RC forum has discussions for any RC topic you can think of. Maybe you want to show off your current project in a build thread or help out a new pilot with an answer to a question. Time spent on RCGroups is a great way to help you get through the winter and dream about the coming flying season.

5. Travel

This might not be an option for everyone, but it's certainly an option. Pack up your planes and plan a weekend getaway to a warmer location like Florida. There's nothing like a warm sunny 70 degree day in February to get your mind right.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Jan 28, 2021 at 10:57 AM..
Jan 28, 2021, 09:47 AM
Take a long Nap until Spring......
Jan 28, 2021, 09:57 AM
EAT

Drink

Watch T V
Jan 28, 2021, 10:08 AM
Rabid Rabbit
Play guitar
Jan 28, 2021, 10:10 AM
Arrowhead
I’m with Dale! Hibernation is underrated.

Projects and fleet maintenance & overhaul are my other coping strategies.
Jan 28, 2021, 10:31 AM
Watch YouTube channels:

Rich Baker, Brian Philipps, Pilot Ryan, RC Saylors,
Petrencic Brothers, Discover RC, Merry Boozer, RC Geek and many others.

Fly Simulator

Design and build small delta wing jets
Jan 28, 2021, 10:46 AM
Just get out and fly. Flying off the snow with floats is fun!

EFLITE VALIANT 1.3M BNF WINTER WONDERLAND AEROBATIC FUN (4 min 33 sec)
Jan 28, 2021, 11:01 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Spectacular flying r/cdawg; I love my Valiant on or off floats but I'll keep it hung up until spring - 4 minutes in 18 degrees F would find my arthritic knees and back seized up for 24 hours and that's not to mention the frostbite due to poor circulation which would leave me flying from the shoulder! So I'm with Dale - hibernate, or build.
Jan 28, 2021, 11:56 AM
1. Keep Flying!
2. Build
Jan 28, 2021, 12:39 PM

Simm time

Mostly simm time for me but I've burned through a few batteries weather permitting.
Been doing some airplane maintenance work.

Yes, I play guitar as well.
Jan 28, 2021, 02:06 PM
CR5
CR5
Pick your days and keep flying. -10C is about my limit but until then I fly every chance I get.
Floats, skis, handlaunch, plow off the pond, there's always a way if you're not being a little wussy
Jan 28, 2021, 02:41 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Under 50F and I'm not a happy flyer.
Jan 28, 2021, 03:43 PM
Electric planes are a blast.
Grab plane and radio, throw on some warm gear and go fly in a low wind clear situation..
Jan 28, 2021, 04:37 PM
Right Rudder

Move to Central Florida and enjoy almost year round RC flying!

Like the post title says!

Quick Reply