Jan 27, 2021, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
Help!

YEP 40A ESC slow acceleration

Hi

I guess that ESC comes out of the box programmed for helis. I don't have a programming card. Is there any way I can program the fast acceleration using the transmitter?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2021, 03:09 PM
B for Bruce
What does it say in the manual you can download for them off Hobbyking's web site? I've found, downloaded and printed out the manuals for all the various ESC's and receivers and even the motor data for all the recent stuff I've bought for the past 5 years. That includes one of the lower power YEP ESC's.
Jan 27, 2021, 03:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
What does it say in the manual you can download for them off Hobbyking's web site? I've found, downloaded and printed out the manuals for all the various ESC's and receivers and even the motor data for all the recent stuff I've bought for the past 5 years. That includes one of the lower power YEP ESC's.
What I found is a manual that lists 8 options to setup, from 1 to 8 beeps, but this one loops on 1 to 5 beeps.

But I have another manual that lists these 5 options

The options are
1 brake
2 cells
3 and 4 something about cutoff that I can't remember now
5 governor mode

I tried setting the governor mode on/off but nothing changes.
Jan 27, 2021, 03:23 PM
B for Bruce
In that case look into the modes in the Tx. Perhaps you're in heli mode by accident? Or perhaps there's a slow ramp up power up option in the Tx?
Jan 27, 2021, 03:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
In that case look into the modes in the Tx. Perhaps you're in heli mode by accident? Or perhaps there's a slow ramp up power up option in the Tx?
I don't fly helis. The model is programmed as airplane. The same model setup accelerates fast with other ESC.
Jan 27, 2021, 03:44 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rva1945
What I found is a manual that lists 8 options to setup, from 1 to 8 beeps, but this one loops on 1 to 5 beeps.

But I have another manual that lists these 5 options

The options are
1 brake
2 cells
3 and 4 something about cutoff that I can't remember now
5 governor mode

I tried setting the governor mode on/off but nothing changes.
To disable the soft start have you tried the settings for soft start or quick start?

From the manual....

4. Do not move the throttle stick until you hear these sounds , next is the setup for Soft
start, wait for the acknowledgement of these sounds ,
 The Soft Start was saved.
 The Soft Start with Brake, if activated, will also use this value!
5. For extremely fast response (NOT FOR HELI USE!!!!), the same operation as (procedure 1-3)
the Basic-setup, after the 3 procedures, Please make sure you push the stick back to full power and
wait for acknowledgement . Then back to full back position swiftly and the ESC is
ready to run and wait for the acknowledgement
=> Quick Start is saved.
=> Quick Start with brake, if activated, will also use this value!
Feb 01, 2021, 09:41 AM
Thread OP
A friend told me not to worry about it as it will slowly accelerate the first time after connecting the battery ("otherwise the helis would crash after poor acceleration during flight").

Well I made this video where you can see that after connecting the battery, I accelerate to full throttle three times and it will always slowly acceelerate. The battery is fully charged:

Probando ESC YEP (0 min 48 sec)
Feb 01, 2021, 03:33 PM
B for Bruce
Since it is only that one ESC then it must be in the ESC programming.

You say that it only beeps 5 times instead of 8. And found a manual for a YEP ESC that lists only 5 options. Can you give us the link to the manual you found? Or post the full instructions you found in a post?
Feb 01, 2021, 10:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Since it is only that one ESC then it must be in the ESC programming.

You say that it only beeps 5 times instead of 8. And found a manual for a YEP ESC that lists only 5 options. Can you give us the link to the manual you found? Or post the full instructions you found in a post?
I found this in another post (the guy was as confused as me but he somehow "saw the light at the end of the tunnel"):

"...There is on big confusing thing with the programming and it's not clear in the "manual". Well, nothing is clear there, it's actually the opposite. However there are two modes of programming. Basic and advanced. To get into the basic you need to: full - and as soon as the pipipipipipip starts - down do half. If you don't you will end up in the advanced mode. And the advanced mode is not matching what's in the manual. It says the break option is at one pip but it's not. It's not the first time I run in to an ESC where they order of the different option doesn't match the actual esc...."
Feb 02, 2021, 09:17 AM
I have had the same issue with Yep 40A and end up buying a programming card. It's no way to program with just the TX.
However, the good thing is that, the spool up is happening only when you throttle up first time, so basically if you hold the plane with your hand until the motor accelerate enough to take off, once airborne, you should be able to fly without issues.
Feb 02, 2021, 09:32 AM
Thread OP
But you can see in the video I posted in this thread how it keeps on slowly accelerating three times after start up.
Feb 02, 2021, 02:09 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by rva1945
But you can see in the video I posted in this thread how it keeps on slowly accelerating three times after start up.
Yep, it definitely has the soft start feature enabled. And if there's different options to the time for the soft start I'd even say that it is set for the longest option.

Since I've got a couple of YEP ESC's myself I looked up a couple of the manuals for them at Hobbyking. The one for the 18A unit is gibberish. It'll take a lot of careful reading to figure out what it says. The other for the 40A ESC isn't too bad. Here's a quote and I think it shows you what you need to do. HERE IS A LINK to the 40A YEP page where you can click on the manual to download it.

Quote:
1. Verify that the ESC is off, then switch on the transmitter with the throttle stick at full power (make
sure you achieve full power position by use of fine trimming).

2. Hold the Model, Connect the ESC to the battery pack => a monotonous continuous beep should be
heard. ♪♪♪♪♪♪…: Multiprogramming is activated!

3. Move the stick to the desired neutral position; if the Brake is not required the throttle stick is moved to
the “full back” position. If brake is required then lower the stick to one fifth away from the lowest
point (not fully back), you will hear two beeps (these are high pitch and low pitch) to make sure
the position of throttle stick is recognized. Then the throttle process is saved when you hear these beeps.

4. Do not move the throttle stick until you hear these sounds , next is the setup for Soft
start, wait for the acknowledgement of these sounds ,
 The Soft Start was saved.
 The Soft Start with Brake, if activated, will also use this value!

5. For extremely fast response (NOT FOR HELI USE!!!!), the same operation as (procedure 1-3)
the Basic-setup, after the 3 procedures, Please make sure you push the stick back to full power and
wait for acknowledgement . Then back to full back position swiftly and the ESC is
ready to run and wait for the acknowledgement
=> Quick Start is saved.
=> Quick Start with brake, if activated, will also use this value!
If this procedure above works on your ESC then what I read from this is that after you set for brake or no brake in step 3 there's a two tone acknowledgement for the brake. And if you leave it alone you get a second two tone acknowledgement after a few seconds that indicates it has set the soft start. Then in Step 5 it is explaining that to not have a soft start that you want to wait for the first two tone acknowledgement and right then push the throttle to full power before the second two tone acknowledgement that indicates the soft start is added.

Give it a try and see if that fixes your issue.

In your video I can also hear you flicking the throttle stick all the way to full low. In the full instructions for heli use it warns to not lower the throttle all the way or it will see the full cutoff as a new start from a full stop. Perhaps try lowering the throttle to around 1/5 as it says and then jump it forward and see if it responds right away. If it does then it is promising that it will work with the instructions I found for the 40A unit.
Last edited by BMatthews; Feb 02, 2021 at 02:14 PM.
Feb 02, 2021, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
I've tried that before to no avail. The ESC has 5 options to configure, those are identified by
1 beep
2 beeps
5 beeps

In every manual I found the first one is the brake (I never got it working though)
The 2nd is batt type. 2nd and 3rd relate to cutoff (?)
Abd the 5th is the governor mode (I guess it has to do with helis).

I tried every combination of beeps and throttle lever position but it will not work.

There are a miriad of posts about how difficult to impossible it is to program the ESC without the card. And it is very difficult to find one in my country (or I will have to wait for months until it is delivered if not "lost" at Customs).
Feb 02, 2021, 03:56 PM
It would help us to help you if we knew which country you are in...
Feb 02, 2021, 07:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC
It would help us to help you if we knew which country you are in...
Argentina my friend. The end of the world (from a hobbyst point of view).

That's why every time I visited USA I bought as many items as I could.

Quick Reply