Jan 27, 2021, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Fliteglas Phoebus owners

Hello all Phoebus owners. I'm piecing back together a Phoebus that I picked up in a package deal and I have a few questions;
1) Once you install the rubber grommets to hold the wing rods, do you leave the rods in the fuse or do you remove the rods after flying. Mine are a pain in the @$$ to install/remove. Did anyone epoxy them in place?
2) I can't seem to get the wing root to be flush with the fuse, the grommet keeps them 1/8" from touching the fuse. Is that an issue?
2b) The left wing seems to have a pretty even gap all the way around the wing root (1/8" to the fuse), but the right wing I either get a bigger gap in the front and a small gap in the rear or vice versa.
3) I only have the bottom half of the print (mainly fuse and a few rib templates), no portion of the wing construction. There's a note on the portion of the print that I do have showing aileron construction for rib #20. My wings don't have ailerons. Should I add them, do I need to add them? What ribs make up the ailerons? The wing rods are bent so there is dihedral in the wings.
4) Is there supposed to be any washout at the wingtips?
5) Any idea of flying weight?
6) Any other lessons learned that you can share will be appreciated.

Regards,
Rodney
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2021, 06:13 PM
That thing almost hit me
I have one. it's R E S. No ailerons. I just use white electrical tape to fill the gap when I fly it.
Feb 01, 2021, 09:13 PM
That thing almost hit me
Here's the only picture I have at the moment.... I'll post some more as soon as I retrieve the plane from my storage unit.
Feb 03, 2021, 10:17 PM
That thing almost hit me
No washout. Mine could use a paint job.
Last edited by Tahoed; Feb 03, 2021 at 10:26 PM.
Feb 03, 2021, 10:31 PM
That thing almost hit me
And she's a little bit dusty.....
Feb 09, 2021, 12:29 PM
Sec/Treasurer, Houston Hawks
Mom used to say that she didn’t dust because it was considered a protective coating...

Ya gotta nice variety of control linkage/connectors there...
Feb 09, 2021, 01:25 PM
That thing almost hit me
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo6796 View Post
Mom used to say that she didn’t dust because it was considered a protective coating...

Ya gotta nice variety of control linkage/connectors there...
Please note: It wasn't my build.... It was built by a friend of mine when he was 16 or 17. The S-148's still work like new.
Last edited by Tahoed; Feb 09, 2021 at 01:37 PM.
Feb 10, 2021, 12:09 PM
Anyone know the value of one NIB ?

RCButch
Feb 10, 2021, 12:38 PM
That thing almost hit me
It's a classic, but I don't know if it's in demand. Maybe $200???
Feb 22, 2021, 12:29 AM
If anyone wants pics I own a 17m Phoebus C or any other info just pm me
Mar 30, 2021, 08:00 PM
Thread OP

Phoebus

Thanks Tahoed for the additional pics. Raises more questions LOL. What is the linkage like to activate the spoilers (which were not installed on my set of wings). Also your elevator linkage looks a lot different than mine. I have a bellcrank installed in the VS. The HS has a slot in it for the linkage to the elevator to pass through. Your paint job is way better than mine.
Last edited by bearkarting; Mar 30, 2021 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Mar 30, 2021, 08:09 PM
Thread OP
rcbutch, if you have a set of prints I'd gladly pay you for a copy and shipping.

Rodney
Mar 30, 2021, 08:23 PM
That thing almost hit me
I'll try to post a few pictures of the linkage by Thursday. Mine didn't work when I got the plane, but I fixed it, but it was a PITA. I'm planning on flying it at the end of next month, so I'm going to go over it and make sure it's ready to go.
Mar 31, 2021, 03:42 PM
Bearkarting, Sorry to say, I do not have the wing plan.
However I do have the fuse and tail plan.
If you can use them, I will see if there is someplace in my
small town that can copy them.

RCButch
Apr 01, 2021, 06:26 AM
Thread OP
rcbutch, I also have the fuse and tail plans. LOL Thanks for the offer.

Regards,
Rodney

Quick Reply