What the Heck Wednesday - F-16 Crash Oopise!

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a turbine powered F-16 crash that could have easily been avoided.

Splash

Don't Forget Your Pre-flght Check!

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a turbine powered F-16 crash that could have easily been avoided. This is less of a what happened post and more of a public service announcement and reminder to do a full pre-flight check on your plane, especially before the maiden flight. This F-16 was doomed as soon as the pilot failed to properly check the control surfaces. The ailerons were reversed and it goes to show how skilled the pilot was to be able to correct for it at the first sign. He managed to get it level and make a turn before it became too much to think about and ended in a smoking pile. This can happen to the most skilled and experienced pilots so don't get lazy and do a proper pre-flight!

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Jan 27, 2021, 10:43 AM
"The ailerons were reversed and it goes to show how skilled the pilot was to be able to correct for it at the first sign. He managed to get it level and make a turn before it became too much to think about and ended in a smoking pile. This can happen to the most skilled and experienced pilots so don't get lazy and do a proper pre-flight!"
Amen to that Jason!!
Jan 27, 2021, 11:26 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Only an idiot would forget to do that. That's never happened to me. It would certainly never happen more than once to the same pilot. *cough*
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Jan 27, 2021, 05:56 PM
over it
No preflight on a turbine!? That guys a liability, lol..hey, its only 10k
Jan 28, 2021, 12:29 AM
Wow... Harsh.
Jan 28, 2021, 03:58 PM
Rudder is there for a reason.
Jan 28, 2021, 05:11 PM
Beyond the fact of no flight control check or if there were one, the control movement did not register in the pilots mine, this looks like pilot overload. Unexpected situation, mentally not prepared for it, possible no expo or low rates, did not settle mind to comprehend the switched ailerons ... should have gone straight to rudder, gained altitude and then reevaluate the situation. He could have flown a lazy, easy circuit while getting a grip on the situation.
Jan 28, 2021, 05:30 PM
Scott
I just can't fathom not doing one last stand behind control surface check on a maiden before engine start. When one of my flying partners brings out a new plane I always take their transmitter and check control directions one time before flight.

Scott
Jan 29, 2021, 02:45 PM
I always make one final check of control direction before EVERY flight, even if I just flew it 10 minutes ago, it takes what 2 or maybe 3 seconds to do. It is a habit I got into from when the first computer radios came out where it was real easy to have the transmitter set for the wrong model. It is a habit I see no reason to break.

I have seen a few aircraft with reversed controls because they were set up on the bench with the plane in a cradle upside down . WAY to many people check control by stiring the stick to see that everything moves. That is not a direction check, that is only a check to see if everything is turned on.
Jan 29, 2021, 05:26 PM
The absolute coups de grace and what ultimately determined the fate of the plane was the man that came up behind the pilot and interrupted him and asked him to move to the left. The breaking of the pilots attention on his plane led to the final, mental chance he had of checking his controls.

That distraction / interruption by the spotter or Field Marshall was unnecessary. He should have waited or even assisted the pilot and when confident the plane was ready then instruct him to the left.
Jan 29, 2021, 08:46 PM
over it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinfool
I always make one final check of control direction before EVERY flight, even if I just flew it 10 minutes ago, it takes what 2 or maybe 3 seconds to do. It is a habit I got into from when the first computer radios came out where it was real easy to have the transmitter set for the wrong model. It is a habit I see no reason to break.

I have seen a few aircraft with reversed controls because they were set up on the bench with the plane in a cradle upside down . WAY to many people check control by stiring the stick to see that everything moves. That is not a direction check, that is only a check to see if everything is turned on.
Totally agree and I do the same...but even upside down ailerons are not reversed
Jan 30, 2021, 10:51 AM
Intermediate Multi
Anyone know what this plane is, a little further along in the video?
Jan 30, 2021, 10:56 AM
Intermediate Multi
I may have found it. I think it's a Morrisey Bravo, possibly built from an old Sig kit.
Jan 30, 2021, 03:08 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Seen it, done it. You do a check, but for some reason your brain doesn't pick up that the aileron direction is wrong.
Jan 30, 2021, 04:10 PM
Yeah ... done the same myself. Playing with the TX at the field and I reversed the ailerons. Got into the air and quickly realised what I had done. Went straight to rudder and brought the plane back safely.

Put the prop on backwards on a pusher once. Plane flew but had little power, confused me a good bit, brought the plane back and me and my buddies are looking at it. Young kid comes up and says "hey mister, I think you got the prop on backwards". No one likes a smart-ass kid with good eyes.

Quick Reply