Transmitter Mag - Featuring the History of RCGroups!

Here is an RC magazine you might not know about with an RCGroups.com feature this month!

Splash

Transmitter Mag

Radio control is a lifestyle. While the flying field or race track connects us, itís the community that often creates the stories of our lives. Transmitter Mag tells those stories in a unique publication missing from hobby store countertops and work benches: a quarterly, heavy-stock, 56-page storyteller capturing the passion of the RC community.

This ground-breaking magazine features stunning photography, exclusive product features, profiles of RC enthusiasts, and so much more. Transmitter covers radio control like no other. Get your copy at your local hobby shop or join the Horizon Hobby RC Club to start getting Transmitter today! If you are a Pro and Legend Member you will receive a printed copy right to your front door as an added perk of the program.

The History of RCGroups

I was contacted by the staff of Transmitter Mag and asked to write about the history of RCGroups. I was excited to get the magazine in the mail with the origin story of RCGroups.com. My wife even commented on how nice the magazine quality was (she was once an award winning print designer).

I wanted to make sure everyone knew about this new publication from Horizon Hobby!

Links

Transmitter Mag

Horizon Hobby RC Club

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Jan 28, 2021 at 10:58 AM..
Jan 29, 2021, 03:17 PM
Hiigaran member
Ezonemag.com! The OG! I miss "Dear Doctor Spark". Ah memories...
Jan 30, 2021, 11:02 AM
Intermediate Multi
So long as they didn't call it Controller Mag.
Jan 31, 2021, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Ezonemag.com!
You had to be sure you added the 'mag' part, otherwise entering just 'ezone.com" got you a nasty surprise!

CD
Jan 31, 2021, 11:20 AM
Blew out my flip flop
I wish this was available to lowly non pro members...
Feb 01, 2021, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Yankee
Ezonemag.com! The OG! I miss "Dear Doctor Spark". Ah memories...
Those were the days when the writers had to have talent.
Feb 02, 2021, 09:32 AM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
Wendell - if you have any articles you want to get out just let me know. We can bring Dr. Spark back!
Feb 03, 2021, 08:14 AM
RCG Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Spark
Those were the days when the writers had to have talent.

Ouch, you're saying Jim, myself and our other writers/reviewers are not talented?
Feb 03, 2021, 02:04 PM
Hiigaran member
Dr Spark was awesome! He helped me convert the extension cord on my Lockheed Electra to control-line setup!
Feb 03, 2021, 02:43 PM
HobbyView/RCRoundtable
I was there back in them days.
Proud to say I did my part in helping the Ezone and RCGroups grow in my own little way.
Amazing how it's gone from the weird kids in the corner to a major player.
Feb 03, 2021, 03:07 PM
Hiigaran member
Holy cow we were happy with so very little back then. I think my first time on the ezonemag site was back in 1997. There was this article I remember on an e-conversion of a Ringmaster Jr control line model to RC Electric flight.

Back then electric conversions consisted of removing every last grain of excess weight including the undercarriage, canopy etc and replacing metal with hardwood and hardwood with laminated balsa. The $10 Radio Shack ferrite can motor was powered by re-purposed nicads; it was all we had! The quality of the flight was determined on how hard I could throw it~!

We loved every minute of it and ezonemag.com was THE place to hang out.
Last edited by Lone Yankee; Feb 03, 2021 at 03:37 PM.
Feb 04, 2021, 05:05 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
I was almost a moderator once.. On Tuesdays
Feb 04, 2021, 10:35 PM
Sokol
I had the impression that this was going to be available online ...
Feb 09, 2021, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JureZ
I had the impression that this was going to be available online ...
It's a printed magazine, one showed up in my mailbox a few days ago, volume 1, issue 4. According to the masthead it is published quarterly by Horizon Hobbies. It showed a price of $4.99 on the cover. Excellent photography (that's another hobby). Interesting article about RC Groups and how the site was formed, and some other articles including a lengthy one about RC cars.
Feb 11, 2021, 01:10 AM
Great...an entire magazine devoted to abbreviations ,acronyms,and and a lot of electronic witchcraft that I have not a clue what they're talking about!

Quick Reply