This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 05, 2021, 12:24 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
The maiden went very smoothly, here are a few observations:

* Conditions were ideal with almost no wind.

* Throws were according to manual (but including the stated 70% to 80% reduction). The seem ok but maybe just slightly still a bit on the high side for AIL & ELE.

* CG was initially, for safety, quite a bit ahead of manual (black mark below, ca. 130mm. This is the starting CG on the Airworld & Grumania.

* I was paranoid about loosing those tiny black 4mm wing bolts on the black asphalt. Will paint them red !

* There was a moment of excitement when I realized this one does NOT want reversed (a la Futaba) throttle !

* I adjusted the nosegear trim before takeoff, and then re-centered mechanically the rudder. The Me-262 tracks nicely, the wheels & tires work well on asphalt.

* Due to the underslung nacelles she takes off almost by herself (low thrust line). Nevertheless I needed a ton of up trim (about an extra 1mm to 1.5mm).

* Takeoff was uneventful, on asphalt she accelerates rapidly. I used no flaps.

* It needed almost no aileron trim, maybe one click. The wing seems nice and straight, hopefully she holds up in the sun.

* Some rudder helps in the turns.

* Thrust and speed is decent, she will pick up speed if you go into a slight dive. Acceleration in flight is not that great due to that horrible cheater inlet design (with a large rounded blunt edge on the forward side). The outlet (81mm diam) is way to big for a 90mm fan, which means there's hardly any back pressure at reduced throttle.

* Spent a good part of the first (maiden) flight giving lots of up trim, and later testing the flaps. The +1mm to 1.5mm extra up trim on full flaps is close to perfect.

* The camo paint job works rather well, if it was not for that large wingspan attitude would not be the easiest to see.

* Preparing for landing I put gear and full flaps down. The Me-262 definitely does not like tight turns, so I gently eased her in for a landing with a nice wide turn.

* She came in nice and stable but with some good speed (power off as soon as she got over the runway).

* The brakes work well and do not lock, I have my brake EPA at 80% I think. The brakes seem very good on this one.

* After about 4min flying I had around 30% left in my 6000's ... A widely spaced (engine-wise) twin you don't want to run down to zero (deadly asymm. thrust).

* For the next flight I used lighter 5000mAh batteries, which moved the CG back to around 140mm. It flew just as well but I did not loose any up trim. Me thinks there is a slight tail incidence problem in the design.

* All subsequent flights and landings were good with no issues. I did not try any wild aerobatics and just enjoyed the scale look of it.

* The landing gear, struts and brakes seemed to work very well. All my landings were very soft and I don't think I saw any of the shocks compressing at all.

All in all, a very successful set of first flights !
Last edited by Herb; Feb 05, 2021 at 03:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2021, 03:18 PM
Grass field, overrun by environmental extremists, that wouldn’t be HSS would it?
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Feb 05, 2021, 11:25 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Yep that field is GONE ! Whole area turned into a "Nature Park" ...
Feb 06, 2021, 12:17 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Started to respray the Me-262 ... no more forest & bug green camo

Feb 07, 2021, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
It seems rather funny that the HSD Me-262 has the most ridiculous decals applied, including French Mirage ejection seat ones for the fuel type warning signs on the engine pods.

At least they could have left that nonsense on a separate decal sheet ...

Some of the major decals (numbers, crosses) are either applied crooked, or in the wrong spot.

TYPICAL DETAIL QUALITY FROM ASIA lmao
Feb 07, 2021, 09:45 PM
Does it even need a cheater hole with an 81mm intake. Seems like it would be enough. 100% swept area for 40mm motor.
Feb 08, 2021, 06:22 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
The intake is ~81mm diam which gives an area comparable to the FSA for a 90mm fan (~51dm2).

Consequently the large side cheater intake is useless, in fact it is detrimental to performance & efficiency.

The outlet is also way oversized ~ FSA, and thus again detrimental to flying performance. The outlet should be reduced to ~72mm or so.

The two basic design mistakes easily add up to ~20% loss of performance

Feb 08, 2021, 08:11 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
This past weekend I managed to find the time to give it a couple of very thin airbrushed coats of Tamiya water-based acrylics, suitably mixed to match the original RLM 74 / RLM 75 / RLM 76 paint scheme.

There's still a lot of little details to take care of, but at least it safely departed in good measure from the original paint scheme

Feb 10, 2021, 05:06 PM

Great Esthetic Improvement

Looks really nice Herb, But I'm biased to those RLM 74, 75, 76 schemes
Fun to see if you ditch the cheaters and install a thrust tube

DG

Herb, do you notice any difference in the foam density as compared to a typical Freewing model ?
HSD seems to promote a density improvement.
Your repaint makes the surface look pretty darn smooth.
What is your ready to fly weight ? Curious to compare with the Airworld.
Last edited by Dave Grife; Feb 12, 2021 at 08:08 AM.
Feb 11, 2021, 02:27 PM
Pro Hoarder
Looks great Herb...
Latest blog entry: In flight
Feb 13, 2021, 02:11 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Thanks guys ... the original paintjob was a real eyesore, to me

Foam density is similar to Freewing, very lightweight epo foam.

Most of the airframe weight is coming from the strong steel/alu LG & brakes, and the various wing reinforcements I think.

The foam is pretty delicate, I already did two nice fingernail incisions If you pick the wing up near the tip, the foam will bend ... ouch.

Weight RTF is stated around 15 lbs, similar to the AW one (which is very lightweight, but gets weighted down by better fans & robart steel LG)
Last edited by Herb; Feb 15, 2021 at 12:16 PM.
Feb 15, 2021, 06:59 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
The Me-262 was spotted again this weekend at the local flying field,

Feb 15, 2021, 07:49 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Here's a video I took of my last flight, the idiotic phone decided to get out of focus halfway through the video for unknown reason

HSD Me 262 twin 90 (4 min 5 sec)
Feb 18, 2021, 12:48 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
A few pics of how different packs would fit in the Me-262 ...

The 6S+6S 6000's fit well and give a good CG, and so do the 6S+6S 5000's I had lying around.

The problem with my 6S 4000's (paralleled in three, 6S+6S+6S) is that they have a hard time fitting in the battery bay.

Feb 19, 2021, 06:10 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Work on the fans started ...

As outlined before, the intakes on the HSD Me-262 are around 80mm diameter ... The resulting intake area is then approximately 5.03 dm^2.

For a 90mm fan - such as this one - the FSA (Fan Swept Area) is approximately = Pi (90^2-37^2)/4 = 5.29 dm^2 .

Which means that the fan is already getting plenty of air from the front intake

The side cheater hole is thus entirely useless, and in fact degrades performance significantly as it creates a ton of turbulence right in front the fan.

Furthermore the cheese grater side intake on the Me-262 is poorly executed, with blunt rounded steps front and back, which makes things even worse

Quick Reply