Jan 24, 2021, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

DigiSwitch v2 Alternative?

Hi all, are there any good alternatives to the Powerbox DigiSwitch v2?

I'm using LiFE RX packs so do not necessarily need voltage regulation. Are there any good non-mechanical switches out there? alternatively is there a good mechanical switch system with a proven track record and high quality?

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2021, 01:07 AM
ancora imparo
Something like this? No idea how good they are though. Their chargers are pretty well made though and they are the OEM for a number of "brand names chargers" like Hyperion and Hitec as well as under their own name. The stuff I have had of theirs has impressed in general.

Doesn't have an LiFe capacity indication though - just LiPo and NiMH

https://www.freakware.de/technik/SKYRC/power-switch.pdf

The LiPo cutoff is a daft idea in any case. Why would you want to preserve your Rx LiPo by disconnecting it while airborne!
Last edited by jj604; Jan 25, 2021 at 01:15 AM.
Jan 25, 2021, 01:28 AM
Thread OP
Yes had seen these. I agree, I don't want a cut off. From memory these cut off at 6.2v (bad news for LiFE)
Jan 25, 2021, 01:39 AM
ancora imparo
I would always run it in NiMH mode where there is no cutoff at all - but then the charge (voltage level) indication is of no use.
Basically in NiMH mode it is just a simple solid state switch: On and Off. If the supply voltage ever drops to a level where this gadget stops working you have a bigger problem on your hands!
Jan 25, 2021, 01:55 AM
Thread OP
Yeah, but still, are these a proven device? not much info out there on them.
Jan 25, 2021, 03:17 AM
ancora imparo
Sorry, I can't help with that.

However two things may be of interest:
1) SkyRC are a big established company and do understand power engineering. Their chargers are actually fairly conservative by the standards of most Chinese model electronics mobs (who understand electronics but are often woefully deficient in thermal design).
2) This thing isn't rocket science. It is a power MOSFET driven by a simple minded microprocessor. If they got the thermal design correct (pretty easy to do in an ON/OFF MOSFET circuit) and the logic and interference rejection is correct, which is also pretty trivial, it should be reliable. Provided the mechanical design is OK and it looks reasonable to me.

I'm a bit old fashioned though. I would like to see eveidence of people who have actually used it and proved it works reliably.

My friend, Mr Google, can probably help with that.
Jan 25, 2021, 03:24 AM
Thread OP
Yeah, not apposed to using PowerBox, just wondering if there is anything out there accepted to be as good. Not having a dig on SkyRC, sure they make fine products, my current project just is not one I want to roll the dice on.

Quick Reply