Jan 24, 2021, 09:23 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Build Log

20mm Brushless EDF 'B̶A̶E̶ ̶H̶a̶w̶k̶ ̶T̶1̶A̶' 'Huckenein Ta183' Jet Build

*** The thread kinda went in a different direction so it's now a Huckebein build thread ***

May I start by saying I had been hoping for someone else to design a peanut size 'stick and tissue' Hawk for years now so I could make one myself. Sure foamie box models are fun and I have loved building them but I want to have a more realistic looking set of lines on the next Micro Hawk I build (hence the long dry spell).

Since modifying the Jetex DH 108 Swallow for 20mm EDF, it has given me more confidence to tackle the project myself as it was becoming obvious no one in the world was going to do it any time soon. I've been waiting a good 6 years already and avoided doing it myself all this time as I felt I did not have the skill set to do it.

So what changed to motivate me to do it?
Due to a very respected clients project I am currently working on (more on that when we reach launch date) exciting my Hawk design urges, I stepped up and went to work on it - the drive being "I've dragged it out for too long, I want the results I am seeing in this project"

I have always admired the West Wings Hawk as it was a built up frame, sheeted with balsa. It always struck me as the perfect candidate for shrinking down to a peanut size model. The problem is I don't have plans and you can't buy just plans, and there are no plans on the net to download either and West Wings is long gone.

So I went on the net and looked at every photo I could find of people building the model (3 lousy threads in total) and pulling shapes and sizes from them all in a 'that looks about right' fashion. I now feel I can say I have drawn all the parts out well enough to start building.

If it looks like a copy of their model, hats off to me for pulling it off based on a bunch of photo's

Last edited by NitroCharged; Feb 24, 2021 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Thread direction kinda took a mind of it's own
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2021, 08:25 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Build delay! My Laser Cutter pooped a sensor board. I am waiting on parts to arrive.
Feb 06, 2021, 09:05 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Beautiful in their simplicity.
Feb 11, 2021, 06:37 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
I hear that.

They only just shipped my components out from China yesterday.
At least it gave me time to do the Komet plans up. Moving on to designing a Huckebein TA183 next as I couldn't find any plans for one online.
Feb 11, 2021, 08:03 PM
Nitro, are you planning on finishing your f9f panter plans anytime soon?
I was realy looing forward to build one of those to shove 1 of my qx 30mm in there.
Feb 12, 2021, 08:54 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Yowsers! I had to go back and see what I was up to - that was a long time ago, 2015 by the looks of things. I was fattening up the fuse as it was too skinny. I'll get onto the plans once I finish the Huck plans. I am half way there already.
Feb 13, 2021, 02:34 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
A Cougar... missed by one design....

All plans for the F9F Panther online - the F9F2 and the F9F5, from Keil Kraft, A. E. Hatfuls design, Comet, all have thinner fuselages. Comets design is the best one and is the one I was modding when the brakes hit.
Feb 16, 2021, 09:30 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
The Komet and Huck should make an interesting project and being relatively 'cut down/basic' provide a nice platform to test your edf's. Using/getting inspiration from Jetex plans is a pretty cool idea.
Feb 23, 2021, 06:14 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Thanks scousethief.

I ran a test through the laser to see if my Huckebein parts I've been drawing up were going to fit nicely together. Should of known better...... like a glove!

If your brain hurts - this is the lower 2/3rds of the fuse. The top formers go on after.....
Feb 23, 2021, 12:55 PM
Very

Could you post some screen shots of your 'Huck' design ?

Thanks.
Feb 23, 2021, 06:51 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Here is where I am at on the design front for the Huck:
I've got the wings sorted and the bottom fuse section as well as tail-plane pieces.
Just need to sort how the canopy is coming off to get the lipo in and out. I'm thinking a balsa section with the canopy connected.
Feb 23, 2021, 07:32 PM
Whoa !!
Where did you find such a nice 3 view (5 view ?) drawing ?

Thanks
Feb 23, 2021, 07:53 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
I found it here:

https://www.nevingtonwarmuseum.com/u...ein13_orig.jpg

I may have to change the title to Hucky build... the Hawks getting a back seat here.
Feb 24, 2021, 11:50 AM
Pro Hoarder
The Huck parts look great..should be a fun jet
Latest blog entry: In flight

Quick Reply