On the far end. Rich’s has the yellow “P”

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
May 06, 2021, 06:07 PM
I thought so.
I have mine back together.
Would have been fun to come out
May 06, 2021, 09:03 PM
Mine is the one w the black spinner. It was truly fun to have them together and fly them together. Rich took some video of our joint flight so I hope we get to see that soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit n pitts
I thought so.
I have mine back together.
Would have been fun to come out
May 06, 2021, 09:49 PM
Can’t wait to see the video
May 07, 2021, 09:48 PM
Yeah, can’t find the video yet on Richs YouTube.

Quote:
Can’t wait to see the video
Last edited by Skirmishcampaigns; Nov 26, 2021 at 08:14 AM.
Jun 06, 2021, 02:11 PM
AMA 8855
That’s a great review. I only wish my I had seen it before I started assembly. I had all the issues mentioned by your review plus a couple of interesting nuances that resulted in my assessment of the airplane which I rated at the bottom of the scale. The hinge line caused the flaps to become useless as presented due to the foam hinge line being immovable. The elevator suffered the same malady, I corrected both by installing strip hinges sourced from another kit. I prepped the hinge line by cutting it away from the mating parts and flattening the edge slightly. The strip hinge was attached in a slit made by a hobby knife and the hinge held in place by 5 minute epoxy and pinned from the underside. This is not my first Dynam kit, the others flew fine and this spit/float didn’t disappoint in that respect. Power is respectable, and as stated in the previous article, the flaps are a blessing for STOL. There’s a lot more attention that could be paid to the packing as I spent sometime air brushing the rough areas caused by shipping. All in all I rate it a 2+ for the kit and a 7 for its flying capability.
Latest blog entry: Greyhound Express
Jun 06, 2021, 02:55 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
TJ, thanks for the reminder on the foam hinges. I should have mentioned something in the review about "Pre-Flexing" them to limber and loosen them up a bit before assembling the kit. I certainly understand the use of the strip hinges in place of the foam that came with the kit. Here in Texas the foam hinges work fairly well and last a good long while. You definitely have to keep an eye on them though and FoamTac them when/if they start to separate.

Hope you continue to enjoy flying your new Spitfire on Floats!

McD
Nov 26, 2021, 08:14 AM
Anyone know where the video is, that Rich did, of us flying the three Float Spitfires at NEAT 21 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirmishcampaigns
Yeah, can’t find the video yet on Richs YouTube.
Nov 26, 2021, 08:46 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
I'm not sure about the videos from NEAT, but Rich also took a video of three of us flying our Spitfires on Floats at SEFF 2021 this past year. I haven't seen that video posted either.

McD
Nov 27, 2021, 08:15 AM
Sorry, right. At SEFF that was the one I was thinking about. Would be great if we could get a link to that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
I'm not sure about the videos from NEAT, but Rich also took a video of three of us flying our Spitfires on Floats at SEFF 2021 this past year. I haven't seen that video posted either.

McD
Dec 23, 2021, 04:09 AM
Suspended Account
So is this plane really that terrible? I say that initially just because it's a Dynam, and always seem to read bad things about anything from Dynam...

Then there are some comments above. Have not watched the vid..

€177 seems OK though for a 1200mm plane.. I would never really fly it from water, so yeah, weird to ask.. But does this plane take off from grass with the floats? (My Skipper does..) Would be cool off snow too.. But yeah, I have limited hangar space so a snow plane for once or max twice a year would be dumb... Just brainstorming, trying to make it through another miserable northern European winter.. Will check out a video or two...

ps If the floats don't work off grass, I don't suppose hand launching is an option?....
Dec 23, 2021, 08:30 AM
When Hobby Zone use to sell the dynsm float spit they did a video flying it off snow. Search YouTube for it
I own (2) E-flite 1.2 spits, (1) Flightline 1.2 spit and this 1.2 dynam spit
There is a high difference in quality (& engineering) between the e-flite/Flightline and the dynam. I’ve posed the mods I felt needing to be done to get it up to snuff.
That being said it’s super unique and worth the upgrades to me to be able to fly a warbird at my local lake.
If you want a standard land base spit I recommend the e-flight but since it has been discontinued get the Flightline if it is reasonably priced in your area.
I hand launch but would never consider this float plane hand-launchable but there may be bolder folks out there than me
Last edited by spit n pitts; Dec 23, 2021 at 08:56 AM.
Dec 23, 2021, 09:25 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Yes, the Spit has a few issues, but it flies well and looks great. The floats have a plastic overlay on the bottom all the way back to the step that should slide over snow or grass very easily.

McD
Dec 23, 2021, 12:45 PM
Another option if you want a spitfire for belly landing is this flighttest 1.2mm kit

https://store.flitetest.com/ft-maste...ire-wr-1220mm/

Not as much fidelity as a foamy but cheap and easy to fix

I just picked up one for Xmas

Cheers

Quote:
When Hobby Zone use to sell the dynsm float spit they did a video flying it off snow. Search YouTube for it
I own (2) E-flite 1.2 spits, (1) Flightline 1.2 spit and this 1.2 dynam spit
There is a high difference in quality (& engineering) between the e-flite/Flightline and the dynam. I’ve posed the mods I felt needing to be done to get it up to snuff.
That being said it’s super unique and worth the upgrades to me to be able to fly a warbird at my local lake.
If you want a standard land base spit I recommend the e-flight but since it has been discontinued get the Flightline if it is reasonably priced in your area.
I hand launch but would never consider this float plane hand-launchable but there may be bolder folks out there than me

Quick Reply