Jul 26, 2021, 11:55 AM
Feebay has the WL Toys V911S with transmitter and two flight batteries for $50.00. I had Hours on these learning. Fun too!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2021, 08:59 AM
Is what I'm doing helping?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCl
Feebay has the WL Toys V911S with transmitter and two flight batteries for $50.00. I had Hours on these learning. Fun too!
For the money they are hard to beat. Fixed pitch helicopters are loads of fun and when properly set up can make some decent banked turns
and actually look fairly realistic. After adding some LED's my son and myself used to play tag on calm nights. You have to work pretty hard
to break them.

Micros are certainly the cheapest way to learn CP's (not counting simulators).
After almost totaling a full CNC stretched blade 400 I decided to get something smaller, the MCPX V2.

At lunch hour I would race to a deserted section of the factory. Took over 3 weeks to fly smooth figure 8's.
My oldest boy picked it up in a few flights. My excuse was that I'm old and can't see.

[EDIT] Went through probably 7 or more tail assemblies, but it was still cheaper than crashing a bigger (modded) heli even once.

Found old pic of the Blade 400. Someone had it upgraded and then never picked it up, so the LHS sold it to me.
Along with the CF and CNC parts it has a Futaba GY520 gyro and a really good tail servo.
In it's day a hard crash would have been expensive.
Last edited by Steve_; Jul 29, 2021 at 10:22 AM.
Aug 18, 2021, 07:47 PM
The real flight trainer sim is a great value and I bound my DX6e to the computer with the usb dongle. I have the Blade 230s v2 and it flies very similar to the 230s in the sim.
Sep 02, 2021, 08:05 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Hi BillM67,
I'm hoping you can answer a question for me...
Learned to hover in 2004 with a helicopter called the honey bee. Never did learn to fly forward. Just hover.
Learned to fly forward on a simulator which inspired me to buy a WL toy v912
Got to where I can do circles pirouettes and recognizable figure eights.
Being 67 and having the onset of cataracts I needed something a little bigger, around a 20 inch rotor span. Was considering both the blade 230 and the OMP discussed on the previous page. Though they're not much bigger.
The only thing holding me back from the blade is that smart battery. I don't want it. Is it difficult to switch over to a normal lipo? Just for the record I have a spectrum dx6e transmitter.
Nick
Last edited by taildragger1589; Sep 02, 2021 at 08:12 PM.
Sep 03, 2021, 03:59 PM
Watch the for sale forums for a good used 230V2. Before the smart stuff. My two fly great and sure have taken a beating!
Sep 03, 2021, 08:00 PM
Appreciate the steer.
I'll do that.
Just in case anybody else is wondering, I've come across several people that just cut off the smart connector and put on a deans or an xt60 connector.
Sep 07, 2021, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589
Appreciate the steer.
I'll do that.
Just in case anybody else is wondering, I've come across several people that just cut off the smart connector and put on a deans or an xt60 connector.
XT60 is a little big most use XT30 but confirm your point. Change it out to ones needs. Or could make up an adapter or buy one.
Sep 07, 2021, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCCHP
XT60 is a little big most use XT30 but confirm your point. Change it out to ones needs. Or could make up an adapter or buy one.
I've made up quite a few adapters, trying to get xt60 or jst as the only two for my entire fleet.
I was just afraid there was some kind of circuitry that would prevent me from swapping connectors.
Now that I know, I'm going to go ahead and order one since it seems to be the most forgiving of all the larger helis.
Sep 18, 2021, 07:32 PM
Got a 230s and it's just the size I was looking for.
Unfortunately I've been wrestling with it for four days now and have yet to leave the ground.
First two attempts, it just rolled over on it's side.
3rd try, I could hold it upright with 25 % right cyclic but the tail rotor was firing off random bursts that jerked it around too much to attempt lift off.
I tried rebinding many times with no luck.
Triple checked the set up table in the book (I have a Dx6e) and it's all good.
Used forward programming to calibrate the controller and it just sits there and beeps flashing yellow, green and solid red.
I let it beep and "calibrate" for 30 min. but it just won't click in.
Also tried a factory reset for the controller, with another failed calibrate and it's uncontrollable as before.

Kind of frustrating but I know where the heli learned how to behave.
From their web site.
At the registration screen, I filled out all of the various numbers, address and such then clicked on submit.
Got the response in red type "submission failed please try again later.
Called them on the phone, got a recording telling me they were too busy with calls, please go to web site, then hung up.
Went to the web site and filled out all of the data (again) along with the problem I was having.
Clicked on Submit....
You guessed it. Failed submission, try again later.
So I sent them an email describing the problem.
They promised to get back to me in 48 hrs, skipping Sunday, I figure they'll get to me by tues night.
We'll see
Sep 21, 2021, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589
Got a 230s and it's just the size I was looking for.
Unfortunately I've been wrestling with it for four days now and have yet to leave the ground.
First two attempts, it just rolled over on it's side.
3rd try, I could hold it upright with 25 % right cyclic but the tail rotor was firing off random bursts that jerked it around too much to attempt lift off.
I tried rebinding many times with no luck.
Triple checked the set up table in the book (I have a Dx6e) and it's all good.
Used forward programming to calibrate the controller and it just sits there and beeps flashing yellow, green and solid red.
I let it beep and "calibrate" for 30 min. but it just won't click in.
Also tried a factory reset for the controller, with another failed calibrate and it's uncontrollable as before.

Kind of frustrating but I know where the heli learned how to behave.
From their web site.
At the registration screen, I filled out all of the various numbers, address and such then clicked on submit.
Got the response in red type "submission failed please try again later.
Called them on the phone, got a recording telling me they were too busy with calls, please go to web site, then hung up.
Went to the web site and filled out all of the data (again) along with the problem I was having.
Clicked on Submit....
You guessed it. Failed submission, try again later.
So I sent them an email describing the problem.
They promised to get back to me in 48 hrs, skipping Sunday, I figure they'll get to me by tues night.
We'll see
Look in the Micro Heli section under 230S V2/Smart. All your answers are there.

But to calibrate the FC you need to unplug all 3 wires for both main and tail motors. HH neglected to put this step in the manual.

Good luck
Sep 21, 2021, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCCHP
Look in the Micro Heli section under 230S V2/Smart. All your answers are there.

But to calibrate the FC you need to unplug all 3 wires for both main and tail motors. HH neglected to put this step in the manual.

Good luck
Thanks for the steer.
The Blade now calibrates in 20 seconds.
But now the tail rotor doesn't answer the stick or the gyro.
but the blade makes nice stable lift offs while spinning around.
Will look at the blade thread.
Nick
Oct 13, 2021, 04:03 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
I haven't flown helis for years but recently got the itch to try again. I ordered the First Step RC Heli 101 from Buddy RC and got it today. Setup consisted of charging the flight battery, installing 4 AA batteries in the transmitter, and , well, that was it. I've flown two batteries through it this afternoon and I'm already hovering nose-in. I think it took most of a year to get that far the first go around. What a difference the stabilization makes. It's not perfect, but it really helps.

My wife won't let me fly it indoors, she's still sore about the last micro heli that put a hole in the living room blinds years ago. So I'm confined to outdoors flying on the patio. It's definitely affected by a breeze so I'm gonna try it early in the morning to see how twitchy it acts then.

There was a guy at the flying field with a Blade 230. I couldn't believe all the 3D stuff he was doing with it. I was trying to take photos but couldn't see it most of the time .

Quick Reply