Jun 10, 2005, 02:13 PM
Thread OP

if you were getting just one good electric setup

what would it be?
I fly glow planes, but want to get a good electric setup, headed toward EDF's. (can't afford turbines...)

Any suggestions for a charger, motor, esc, etc? Or is that too hard to answer, every plane is too different??

thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2005, 02:40 PM
Trapped in California
Personally I like Speed-400 type planes. So I would go with a 6-volt Speed 400 (or brushless), 20-amp ESC, 8-cell pack of at least 1000mAh (I use 1100's). And a 6x3 prop direct drive. That with a small receiver and micro servos, on a plane weighing less than 20 ounces AUW. This has been a success for me.
Jun 10, 2005, 02:56 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Foamflyer, what about brands? chargers? nicd or nimh? I do want to move toward EDF jets and not have to replace many items I buy. I am moderate experience glow flier, and so this isn't a beginner setup necessarily....
thanks!
Jun 10, 2005, 03:05 PM
I have found a few good setups...

1a. Speed 400 direct drive with KAN1400 8 cell Nimh & a 20 A speed control.
(flying wing type)

1b. Mega 16/15/4 with KAN1400 9 cell & Phoenix 25a
(really fun flying wing)

2a. GWS geared 370 with 11/8 prop & 1500 Lipoly 2 cell & GWS speed control.
(Slow stick type)

2b. Geared ST motor from edogflight & a 12/8 prop & 1500 2 cell lipoly
(Really fun slow stick type)

3. Lens 15T with cc10 esc & 900ma 2 cell Thunderpower
(Mini IFO type)

Yes, there are unfortunatly too many variables but these are my favorites.
Jun 10, 2005, 03:53 PM
Mega 16/15/3 because it will be ideal foir an EDF later

3s 3000 Polyquest LIPO pack, to fire it up

Phoenix 35 controller.

Some sort of 3:1 ish gearbox for ordinary planes.

And start with a converted .25 size trainer.
Jun 10, 2005, 03:53 PM
Visitor from Reality
I've just transferred the gear out of my five year old Four Star 40 - which barely resembles Sig's kit anyway after all I've chopped and changed - into an own design pattern type model. Hacker B5013S, geared 6.7:1, 16 x GP3300 NiMh cells, 14 x 12 APC-e prop, flying a 5.25lb model of some 540 square inches. Hacker's controller, UBEC to drive the radio, Hitec HS225 servos. I charge those 16 cell packs with a FMA Direct Supernova charger off a big RV lead-acid battery.

Modestly, the model is capable of kicking most 46 sized sports models out of the park. It is designed for FAI type maneuvres - hovering, to me, is ugly and best left to ugly things, like helos Aircraft fly by aerodynamics - YMMV.

The old Four Star 40 was much the same in intent and performance, though its being 53" span was only the simplest of what I'd done to it.

This lot isn't cheap. However, it can hold its own on anyone's club field and the motor has proven to be bullet-proof, if noisy for an electric. While some may argue for the newer LiPo batteries, I have three NiMh packs for less than one LiPo at this size, and don't have to worry about it catching fire if it gets a little less than ideal treatment.

Suggest you check out the sports electric forum - most of the popular sports models you'll see on club fields under glow power have been converted to electrics by now, while some newer ones are even marketed as suitable for electric power.

You've plenty more questions coming up! Choice is wide if you build with a cheque book, or absolutely mind-boggling if you think for yourself and build your own models.

Hope that helps

Dereck
Jun 10, 2005, 04:23 PM
It's been a while.
A mega 16/15/5 with 7x5 prop on a 25amp brushless with 3s 3000mah lipos for a 48 inch wing.
Jun 10, 2005, 04:25 PM
There are simply too many model styles and sizes to make such a recommendation. Even the charger would depend somewhat on what you went with.

I suggest you browse these forums for ideas, spend some time researching and don't just jump in and buy from the first suggestions you get. Look at hotliners and pylon racers, aerobatic and 3D models, regular sport planes, and ducted fans. All could potentially make a fine first electric model IF you are an experienced pilot.
..a
Jun 12, 2005, 10:02 AM
Trapped in California
Quote:
Thanks Foamflyer, what about brands? chargers? nicd or nimh? I do want to move toward EDF jets and not have to replace many items I buy. I am moderate experience glow flier, and so this isn't a beginner setup necessarily....
thanks!
I agree with what Andy W said, it is difficult to actually recommend, all I can tell you is what I've been using (that works). I use both NiMH (with Hitec CG-315 charger - good for up to 16 cells), and lipo (Apache 2500 charger - good for up to 4 lipo cells).
Jun 12, 2005, 10:19 AM
Here's a couple of planes that you might like to check out. All are pusher props and would fly great with a Mega 16/15/3, Phoenix 35 speed control and either NiMH or Lipo packs.

http://www.ultraflymodel.com/airplanes/ufla1090.html

http://www.ultraflymodel.com/airplanes/ufla1080.html

http://www.ultraflymodel.com/airplanes/ufla1020.html

the above are available from Tower:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0002p?&M=UFL

The Wattage F-22 Raptor was also a good pusher jet and the Wattage F-86 flew pretty good and came with a EDF. Both have been discontinued but might be found in a LHS.

Can't go wrong with a Triton charger.

Quick Reply