Jan 21, 2021, 09:17 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Where to buy aluminum tape to cover planes.

Found two but one is next to Impossible to get ahold of.. and been waiting almost two months for a sample I paid for.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2021, 11:07 AM
JOE MOCERI
Jim I have 2 rolls of 3M 4inch wide adhesive backed I will not be using if your interested in them. I also have some .014 Lithoplate that can be annealed and formed. Let me know
joe
Jan 21, 2021, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
PM sent
Jan 21, 2021, 01:16 PM
I bought a roll of aluminum tape from the auto parts store. Besides being handy for simulating hatches, it's great for making engine gaskets. Clean the surface, lay on a piece of tape, rub it in real good, then cut away the outside and inside; all done.

carl
Jan 21, 2021, 07:47 PM
JOE MOCERI
Here are the tape rolls. Measure 3.875 wide and the tape is .003 thick when the paper is pulled from the back. I took a piece of balsa and the tape sticks securely to it. Let me know if you need more information
Joe
Jan 21, 2021, 08:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDESIGNS
Here are the tape rolls. Measure 3.875 wide and the tape is .003 thick when the paper is pulled from the back. I took a piece of balsa and the tape sticks securely to it. Let me know if you need more information
Joe
pm sent
Jan 22, 2021, 03:29 AM
jofro
Too heavy, not very nice finish showing all the joints. You'll better off using any silver foil applied with the size, or even better and lighter silver gild it using the size.
Jan 22, 2021, 08:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
Too heavy, not very nice finish showing all the joints. You'll better off using any silver foil applied with the size, or even better and lighter silver gild it using the size.
On my particular application I want the joints to show. I am duplicating all the 100's of panels by cutting out small pieces for each one and slightly overlapping each one onto the other to create panel lines. After that using a tool to create the individual rivets. The tape used to do this is very thin like .003" or less. Very equal to monokote in weight when done.
Feb 07, 2021, 12:14 PM
The Old Kraft Guy

Aluminum Tape

Aluminum tape with pressure sensitive adhesive is available from HVAC distributors. It's used for sealing joints in duct systems.
Feb 19, 2021, 12:34 AM
Got mine at Harbor Freight.
Feb 19, 2021, 12:56 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Any home improvement store will carry it. Home Depot definitely, as I've bought it there. Great for sealing the exhaust duct on my laser cutter. But sold for sealing joints on HVAC ductwork. Usually available in a few different widths.

Quick Reply