This thread is privately moderated by --Oz--, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 20, 2021, 02:15 PM
Quadaholic
Thread OP
Discussion

Micro ESC from servo driver

I wanted to be able to control the brightness of some LEDs from Ardupilot flight controller.
I wanted 0 to 100% pwm output from the FC pin to drive the gate of a FET, then you can control anything (LEDs/motors/solenoid/etc), but Ardupilot does not have that function.

Ardupilot has servo passthrough function, it passes a RC channel from the Rx through the FC to a output pin. This will require a brushed motor esc, most of them are larger than the size of the FC, and fitting them on a 5" quad is a bad choice. Then I found on AliExpress for $3 shipped, a servo motor esc (for continuous rotation servos).

I got one and have tested it on the bench, its got some issues that I was not expecting.
1. Most Tx/Rx will not output below 1000us and above 2000us, this means you will maximum get +/- 70% speed (see picture).
2. Lowest PWM output is 17.5%
3. Maximum 6V. Maybe possible to modify for more voltage by cutting the FET driver supply trace and feeding more voltage, but I have not found the datasheet to the FZMOS-5X (so-8 package).

Large zero thro dead band 1390 to 1591 (200us)
See the attached picture for the PWM info.

So with the limitations of 6v, 1A, 17% to 70% max output, it will work out of the bag and its low cost and tiny.

AliExpress INFO:
1pcs DIY Dual-way 1A Mini ESC 5V DC Brushed Speed Controller Module Winch Control Bidirectional Driven Circuit Board for DIY RC Part
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...36e34c4duQeMF3
Specification:
- Size: 12x8.5mm
- Voltage: 3.5-6v
- Continuous current: 1A, maximum current 1.5A
- PWM range: 1000~2000US (Warning, its a LIE)
- Wire length: 200mm
- Motor cable length: 20mm
- Single board weight: about 0.4g (not include wire)
- BEC output: None
- Dual way,can be positive and negative,
- Applicable motor: brush motor
- Compatible with Futaba, JR, SANWA, Hitec and other remote control systems

Application:
- RC Mini Car, DIY model airplane,rc mini drone / multicopter aircraft 
- Remote control model car,winch control circuit and other model parts
- Used for 360 degree continuous rotation servo

Feature:
Digital circuit, no need potentiometer to adjust the stop position

ATX_Heli wrote:
fyi you can get 800 to 2200 output to that device controlled by an RC input channel....takes a little slight of hand...(With ArduPilot)

what you do is you use a camera mount output function... say, assign a servo output to camera pan function....then that servo output range can be changed to 2200 to 800, which you cannot do if its RC_Passthru...then use MNT_DEFLT_MODE=3 (rc targetting) and MNT_RC_IN_PAN= whatever channel in to control it....and MNT_TYPE = 1(servo)

and wrote:
btw, you can set the output limits to any PWM value, not just 800-2200.... you have to use the full parameter tree editor, but I have used 2400 to 500uS (yes some servos actually accept that range..almost all will take 800-2200us....many normal 90 deg servos will get almost 180deg if you put in a bigger PWM range)...
avoids using a servo pulse stretcher on my pan servos
Last edited by --Oz--; Jan 30, 2021 at 12:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply