Oct 20, 2021, 08:41 PM
The leaderboard and some PMs.
Why are you asking?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2021, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrubaker View Post
I would consider hosting a mirror of it if someone could get ahold of the owner(s). Seems like quite a long shot.

I tried to contact Jason aka "SENTRY" through PM a couple of times. Never heard of him ever since.

Carlos
Oct 21, 2021, 08:20 AM
I had a few threads saved on my old computer, original IBcrazy antennas, trappy videos, some of those epic build logs from pompe, the 2m super alulah and the seagul. Didn't know if I could help
Oct 21, 2021, 06:35 PM

What happened to FPVLab???

I too would love to still have access to FPVlab database, as there was a huge volume of posts with excellent information available at that time.

Perhaps not as important anymore due to the fact that most of FPV gear can now be purchased ready to fly; which completely eliminates the need to build every single cable and adaptors from scratch as we did to make the magic of FPV happen.

I feel we were fortunate to be part of that moment in time. Who doesn't remember about the group buy of Skylark's antenna trackers Sentry organized for us?

Carlos
Oct 21, 2021, 09:32 PM
I just checked for the domain: https://who.is/whois/fpvlab.com
Sentry probably didn't pay for the domain any longer. Now GoDaddy has taken over this domain name. This probably means that Sentry also didn't pay for the server any longer. And then the data are probably lost.
Oct 22, 2021, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Echo View Post
I just checked for the domain: https://who.is/whois/fpvlab.com
Sentry probably didn't pay for the domain any longer. Now GoDaddy has taken over this domain name. This probably means that Sentry also didn't pay for the server any longer. And then the data are probably lost.
You can also request your details to be hidden by registrar which would look exactly the same, in this case its still owned and managed by GoDaddy. A dotcom domain 6 characters in length has a value so not worth not paying, in this case approximate value is $1,846, renewal is approximately $18 a year. Stopping hosting is most viable to cut costs, stopping payment of domain would be stupid. Data been lost is doubtful as host would have put time and effort in it and it would have been of some personal value. btw It looks like fpvlab is hosted by liquidweb and IP is still alive yet no web services running.
Last edited by AntiZen; Oct 22, 2021 at 02:45 AM.
Oct 22, 2021, 11:41 AM
I have called the number from GoDaddy that I found on who.is. I had to wait 25 minutes until my call was answered. The only information that I could get was that the domain is not owned from GoDaddy. So it is probably still owned from Sentry, but his contact information is hidden.
Any more ideas?
Oct 22, 2021, 01:16 PM
The domain name is less important than the actual site data. A mirror can be hosted at whatever domain we want, but we need the actual files and database dumps to spin it up on another server. Getting control of the domain would be gravy on top (since that domain probably still gets traffic), but just having the info available anywhere else (e.g. fpvlabarchive.com or something) I think would be the main goal.

Basically someone has to get in touch with whoever "ran" the site and get their blessing as well as the actual data. Ideally someone knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who could put us in touch with the former operators. I personally have no contacts in that realm. Maybe someone knows Trappy or Tony Cake or someone "higher up" that might have an interest in preserving it for the community?

We could replace all the old advertising banners with "ImmersionRC Ghost" links to get them enticed?
Oct 23, 2021, 10:38 PM
fly by night
I wonder if there is much to be found on the Wayback Machine site? surprisingly I can get to several of the pages and threads on it still:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191019...ab.com/forums/

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Oct 23, 2021 at 11:30 PM.
Oct 23, 2021, 11:11 PM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
The domain name means zero in this case. All you need is the database; knowing what the forum software and version are is good also. It is a simple matter of importing the database onto another host. You can even do it with a local host on your PC using XAMPP. You will probably also need to know what gallery software was used if the gallery was not integrated in the forum software.

However, it appears that the original owner is not responding to queries about the DB. If the information is old and mostly no longer valid then I would let it go and get over the nostalgia of the site. If someone really wants the DB then offer to buy it. If purchased without the domain then sign a deal where you can use the database in a new domain but reference the DB as an archive from FPVLabs and then place that data in a sub-forum off the main forum. Use the main forum as your new endeavour and begin providing ads for revenue.
Oct 24, 2021, 01:38 AM
nevermind FPV lab, this forum and most all rc forum seem to have hit a wall a few years ago
Oct 24, 2021, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden sky
nevermind FPV lab, this forum and most all rc forum seem to have hit a wall a few years ago
True...very true. The last heyday of this site was, as I recall the month or previous month Mr. Bourke sold the site. Since then the monthly post
numbers have dropped a considerable amount. Much of this has to do with public consumption and needs, and the traditional hobby having reached its apex. RCG lost its focus on camaraderie and engaged a rule based behaviour manipulation program that only punished the forth right, dependable member and enabled the trolls and bullys to pester other members by skirting those rules. When a member provides content and then gets punished for pushing back on a bully, a bully the system will overlook, well, folks tend to go elsewhere, and they did.

Every vendor created forum takes posts away from here, FB and other social media sites take posts from here and other hobby specific forums. Frankly, I would not bother to bring FPVLAB back. Technology and personalities have changed.
Oct 24, 2021, 06:52 PM
"this site" as with any other, is exactly what you make of it. You are a contributing member
thus you can make it better or worse or let it die.

The advantage RCG has always had (and still has) over FB and FPVlab is that it doesn't hide anything.
All posts, all images, all attachments are available to both members and non-members and to Google as well.
If I want to find a post about some plane or type of flying from years ago, Google will point you at it
better than RCG's own search function. It's an open forum.

As for people getting booted off of RCG, it has *always* been for breaking the simple
"no ad hominem attacks" rule. Some people can't avoid attacking the person rather
than just sticking to attacking their arguments. Some can't even see the difference.
Last edited by Daemon; Oct 24, 2021 at 07:00 PM.
Oct 24, 2021, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
"this site" as with any other, is exactly what you make of it. You are a contributing member
thus you can make it better or worse or let it die.

The advantage RCG has always had (and still has) over FB and FPVlab is that it doesn't hide anything.
All posts, all images, all attachments are available to both members and non-members and to Google as well.
If I want to find a post about some plane or type of flying from years ago, Google will point you at it
better than RCG's own search function. It's an open forum.

As for people getting booted off of RCG, it has *always* been for breaking the simple
"no ad hominem attacks" rule. Some people can't avoid attacking the person rather
than just sticking to attacking their arguments. Some can't even see the difference.
Ah....the RCG defense team has shown up! I agree with you on the first two paragraphs; it is what you make it but I am afraid the last paragraph is where you lose contact with the reality of the declining post count. Certainly many things have driven the count down but people are pointed and banned for much more than ad hominem attacks. Silly decisions like no FB links because it drives posts away from RCG don't help either. Yet, RCG has a FB account...go figure that one out. As stated before, and it is well known, the bullys and trolls know how to circumvent the rules and drive a good member to making a bad choice. The problem is the site management is loathed to pull in those bullys and trolls. I must call it the way I see it.

I have been here since I believe 2004, my other account became corrupted during the server transfer and would not open back up, so I use this one. No biggie but honestly, I have seen a lot of crap go down on this site and management not step in until there were copious points issued and suspensions/bans. I like RCG but as I said, I must call it the way I see it.
Oct 24, 2021, 11:46 PM
Maybe Sentry has a FB page or account where someone could reach him?

Quick Reply