Jan 21, 2021, 09:18 PM
Jesper Frickmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwimbish
Hi Mike,

I'd be very interested in the Jeti if I had the budget.

Perhaps someday I'll pick one up used as I did with the Graupner. After the new car smell has worn off the mileage brings the price down to my level that is.

Keep us posted on how you like the Jeti over time. I know Jason really likes his.

Wayne
I would be willing to pay $630 for a top quality dual band Tx like the DS-12, if it didn't come with crippled firmware, and it would cost me another $365 to un-cripple it. But I am just not playing that game, period.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2021, 12:42 AM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawksjon
I know people say use what everyone at the field uses but I am curious what people have been using the last 12 months or so and been happy with.
I think you will find that there are pilots that do well that use each of the major brands. That should tell you that many things can be successful. Using stuff that other local pilots use can be very useful. I think you should research the brands you are interested in looking into the cost of the gear, features, ease of programming, flexibility, quality of build, availability of product, distributors, etc. Nothing in the world is perfect and there are advantages and disadvantages to everything. Best of luck in with whatever you decide to go with.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jan 22, 2021, 01:20 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrickmann
I would be willing to pay $630 for a top quality dual band Tx like the DS-12, if it didn't come with crippled firmware, and it would cost me another $365 to un-cripple it. But I am just not playing that game, period.
I understand. Iím not willing to fly a radio that requires me to have someone like yourself program it for me because Iím not a computer programming professional. Some people would prefer to learn to program others would rather spend a few extra $.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Jan 22, 2021, 02:11 AM
I have been flying with Futaba 18SZ about one and half year, and before that I used spektrum DX8 for about eight years. 18SZ meets all my needs: drones, heli, fixed wing and gliders. But when I started to F5J flight, I found that 18SZ was not good enough. For example, 5J needs more flexible telemetry and timers in practice, so I bought Jeti DS24 this year. Jeti's system is completely different with Futaba and comparable to OpenTX, very powerful( I owned a Frsky 3 months to learning optx and finally give up ). It can complete very complicated settings and more flexible setting like timer, servos balance, telemetry analyze tool, self definition voice output and so on. Jeti's hardware is also quite reliable. The only thing that makes me criticize is that Jeti's joystick feels very "hard"(I change the spring now) and the throttle is relatively jerky compared to Futaba, whatever the flaws, I think this investment is worth the money.
Jan 22, 2021, 07:03 AM
Jesper Frickmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
I understand. I’m not willing to fly a radio that requires me to have someone like yourself program it for me because I’m not a computer programming professional. Some people would prefer to learn to program others would rather spend a few extra $.
Well, someone at Jeti programmed that for you... Supposedly someone who does it for a living, rather than an amateur like me. And probably, the installation process is easier too - just hand over your $$
Jan 22, 2021, 09:47 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Quote:
Well, someone at Jeti programmed that for you... Supposedly someone who does it for a living, rather than an amateur like me. And probably, the installation process is easier too - just hand over your $$
I definitely paid someone at Jeti to write some software that I could understand. That was my point. I didnít ďjust hand overĒ my money. I made a time/value choice. Honestly, if I understood OpenTX as well as you, Iíd stay with the Taranis. Then anytime I needed to do something different than the wonderful templates you offer, Iíd be all set. But I donít understand it and I donít want to have to rely on someone like yourself all the time. Now I could spend the hours you have to learn OpenTX but my time is valuable. Is it worth what I paid for the Jeti? I think so....and I have a much nicer piece of hardware now.
Jan 22, 2021, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Sorry to say, but this is nonsense. You have obviously not taken the trouble to find out what is needed and at what costs ...or.... not answering the question for F5J and use your radio for different models.

As written, I was thinking about a DS12, besides my full equipted DS16. The only things I was missing are:
more flight positions, servo ballancer, logical switches and voices. To make the DS12 function like my DS16 for competition flying I had to add. 165 euro to the price. Not full house.

But in summary, compared to other suppliers, the price is high(er).
Jan
Last edited by dutchsoarer; Jan 22, 2021 at 12:28 PM.
Jan 22, 2021, 04:49 PM
I am not defending Jeti but for the TOP quality you eluded too, $630 doesn't get you into the ball game regardless of the brand. That said, there are many choices for that price or less that will do a fine job.

I have both a high end and less expensive type....I fly just as bad with both.
Last edited by mark426; Jan 22, 2021 at 04:56 PM.
Jan 22, 2021, 05:49 PM
Team Futaba
I've been using Futaba radios in all my gliders for years (9Z, 14MZ, 16SZ, 18SZ, 18MZ & 32MZ). Never had an issue and not found anything I want to do that I cannot find a way to program.
Jan 22, 2021, 05:49 PM
Really tempted to grab a DS-12. I love openTX, but I also love good quality hardware. After taking a deeper dive into the functionalities of Jeti programming and the support for logical switches and LUA scripts, it does all I need it to do. Straight forward dual-band support for F5J will be a big plus.

I have several dozen FrSky receivers and a half dozen transmitters... might need to start unloading some stuff!
Jan 24, 2021, 09:59 PM
I was where you were, as far as support, wuality, and something that will last the test of time.....futaba, i use a 16sz my friends use 18sz and mz
Jan 25, 2021, 12:58 PM
Thread OP
One quick question I have after talking to a couple guys at the field. They are into JR T44 here and I wonder if that is more of a regional thing to our location in AZ or how that radio performs for electric sailplanes. Obviously it works for them but just curious about the brand support, etc. in the near term.
Jan 25, 2021, 01:27 PM
Time for me to Fly...
If the local guys are using them and they're happy you should be good going with the JR T44. I use to fly JR years ago and was very happy. A few years ago they changed owners and distribution got spotty so I'd be a little cautious but again, if it's working for the local guys, that's a big plus you you. That means you can get hands-on help setting up a plane, if you need it.

Cheers
Mike
Jan 25, 2021, 01:42 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawksjon
One quick question I have after talking to a couple guys at the field. They are into JR T44 here and I wonder if that is more of a regional thing to our location in AZ or how that radio performs for electric sailplanes. Obviously it works for them but just curious about the brand support, etc. in the near term.
I have been using JR DMSS since May 2013. I like the DMSS stuff a lot. I find its quality of build and how well it works in practice in gliders quite good. I don't have the T44 (I have three XG6 radios and an XG14). JR went through a corporate restructuring a few years ago. That isn't super uncommon in this day and age with companies restructuring or filing for some type of bankruptcy or changing management/ownership etc but like many people I thought that was a bit concerning. For a few months about the time that happened it became hard to get DMSS receivers apparently because of supply issues. But right now and for the past year at least the supply chain for DMSS receivers seems to be pretty great. There are a number of places in America to order DMSS stuff and they seem to have it pretty well in stock. I have used the original JR DMSS stuff that I think was made in Japan, the newer JR DMSS stuff that was made in Malaysia, and the newer still JR/Dee Force branded stuff. All of them seem to have the same great build quality when a person looks at the boards. One ongoing concern with JR is that the release of brand new designs and what not seems to be a bit slower than other manufacturers. I don't know if that is a problem for a person flying RC sailplane contests or not. In my case I have the DMSS stuff and I like it and don't have any plans to change to anything else. I could see where it could be concerning for somebody looking to start out though. If I were starting from scratch today I don't really know what I would go with so I feel for you and the decision you are trying to make.

Nothing in this world is perfect and everything has different advantages and disadvantages.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jan 25, 2021, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
I have been using JR DMSS since May 2013. I like the DMSS stuff a lot. I find its quality of build and how well it works in practice in gliders quite good. I don't have the T44 (I have three XG6 radios and an XG14). JR went through a corporate restructuring a few years ago. That isn't super uncommon in this day and age with companies restructuring or filing for some type of bankruptcy or changing management/ownership etc but like many people I thought that was a bit concerning. For a few months about the time that happened it became hard to get DMSS receivers apparently because of supply issues. But right now and for the past year at least the supply chain for DMSS receivers seems to be pretty great. There are a number of places in America to order DMSS stuff and they seem to have it pretty well in stock. I have used the original JR DMSS stuff that I think was made in Japan, the newer JR DMSS stuff that was made in Malaysia, and the newer still JR/Dee Force branded stuff. All of them seem to have the same great build quality when a person looks at the boards. One ongoing concern with JR is that the release of brand new designs and what not seems to be a bit slower than other manufacturers. I don't know if that is a problem for a person flying RC sailplane contests or not. In my case I have the DMSS stuff and I like it and don't have any plans to change to anything else. I could see where it could be concerning for somebody looking to start out though. If I were starting from scratch today I don't really know what I would go with so I feel for you and the decision you are trying to make.

Nothing in this world is perfect and everything has different advantages and disadvantages.

Ryan
That is my only concern with the platform. Just don't want to start with something that then goes down the drain a couple years later. And there are many more programming videos on Futaba and Jeti than JR by a long shot. There have been some issues with range with Jeti with some of the pilots there which has narrowed it down a bit (though could have been antenna, location, etc....except the location does not affect JR and Futaba radios) though Jeti was my first choice. But with the issues they have had I am reluctant to use that platform. So most likely Futaba with Jeti second at the moment. Luckily I am not in a screaming hurry!

Quick Reply