Jan 18, 2021, 01:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Horizon Hobby Aftersales?! and AS3X deactivation

Disclaimer On similar previous posts I saw so many "why are you trying to deactivate AS3X" comments, I appreciate it if we can skip this dimension of the subject and focus deactivation procedure of AS3X.

This is my worst customer service experience ever I believe. I will stay away from Horizon Hobby products:

First they wanted me to buy a programming cable which is very stupid to do I believe. Because to use your good that is already purchased they require you to buy another item in a mandatory way. However I ordered the cable. I am a Mac User, they do not have a MAC version .

Anyway, I started watching programming videos on Youtube, It's unbelievable, in Horizon Hobby's programming video there is no PC programming screen at all 3rd parties videos and instructions explain these matters way better.

I reached out product support by chat on their page and asked basically how to deactivate AS3X. Initially, service rep. told me that this is a custom setup???!!! Actually my demand is simple: I just don't want AS3X.

She did not help me at all and she forwarded me to RCgroups on her first response. I am really shocked that a company send customers to 3rd parties for help. When I asked her permission to publish her comments on Rcgroups or on my youtube channel, she immediately kicked me from the chat without saying anything.

Friends, how can I disable AS3X on this Conscendo Evolution model, I am a basic customer with a basic request. I do not want to make things more complicated, just want to deactivate this feature. Also, I downloaded SRM backup files for Horizon models, they do not have a Conscendo within these files, when I asked this, service rep told me there is no file for this model, screenshot is attached.
Last edited by hakinan; Jan 19, 2021 at 01:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2021, 01:16 PM
Rabid Rabbit
Delete post
Jan 18, 2021, 02:08 PM
ALL U had to do was get the PNP planes AND PUT IN YOUR OWN NON AS3X rx.......DUH.....HH did nothing wrong............I am sure HH welcomes the fact that U R not getting there stuff....hahaha
Jan 18, 2021, 03:48 PM
Fly 'm if you got 'm
There are other receivers that don't have AS3X.
Jan 18, 2021, 03:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
ALL U had to do was get the PNP planes AND PUT IN YOUR OWN NON AS3X rx.......DUH.....HH did nothing wrong............I am sure HH welcomes the fact that U R not getting there stuff....hahaha
Thank you very much for your smart suggestion, however horizon hobby has stock issues from the beginning with this model. I initially purchased a model without receiver, it came defected, I returned.

They informed that they are out of stock, so I had to buy a RTF model. From the very begging of their CONSCENDO EVOLUTION launch, they have stock issues, propeller, nose complaints, etc. Probably they stop the sales of the model to improve it. If you make a basic search about this model you will see a huge number of technical issues and stock inconsistency.

What I hate with the horizon is, they keep buying all their competitors and they decrease the service standards of taken companies to their main service line with the power of their market dominance strength.
Jan 18, 2021, 04:04 PM
Fly 'm if you got 'm
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakinan
T. . . .

What I hate with the horizon is, they keep buying all their competitors and they decrease the service standards of taken companies to their main service line with the power of their market dominance strength.
Please elaborate this claim. I would like to know more about it.
Jan 18, 2021, 04:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEFlyer
There are other receivers that don't have AS3X.
I really understand your suggestion but I already purchased this model, Horizon suggested me to buy a programming cable to correct this, then ordered, waited & received. I am questioning this process:

Why I am required to buy additional equipment to make basic changes on the model. (receiver comes LOCKED, you have to buy a cable to unlock, to use the cable you must have windows. Does not work with Mac OS)
Why I cannot access the basic info to make basic changes on the purchased model.
Why Horizon forwards me to get support from 3rd parties for a basic technical procedure.
Why 80%- 90% of the instructional videos of Horizon is worse than 3rd party hobby grade contributors (Except John Adams, Tech Director of HH- he has really very adequate, sufficient videos.)
Jan 18, 2021, 04:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Please elaborate this claim. I would like to know more about it.
My experience until now is so. You can also follow conscendo Evolution topic for some further info (some solid examples) about Horizon Hobby's after sales performance.
Jan 18, 2021, 04:15 PM
Fly 'm if you got 'm
Then we should go back to the question that you don't want to discuss. Why does it matter at all if the receiver has AS3X???
Jan 18, 2021, 04:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Then we should go back to the question that you don't want to discuss. Why does it matter at all if the receiver has AS3X???
OK, lets do this. Since there is too much tech. detail on this matter I did not want to complicate things with too much info.
Actually this model has a Y cable setup. If you want to use Flaperons you have to connect ailerons separately: one to right ail. other to aux1 or aux2 (This is a warmliner but has a decent gliding performance with the flaperon and reflex servo mix)

So, if you don't use the Y cable and separate the ail. servo leads this time AS3X will be confused and will try to control only one AIL servo and you will terribly crash the plane within a few seconds. I just don't want this happen. On the other hand this receiver has telemetry and you can use this receiver for telemetry + variometer function.

I already purchased the model, ordered a cable, ordered a sensor for variometer. Only asked a simple question about deactivation of the AS3X why so hard to get a decent answer? Why after-service complicates basic issues and sends me 3rd parties for basic help?

Maybe another option might be adapting the AS3x for separate ail. channels but, my I am an hobbyist, I am not making money from this why should I try to play with gains, make XYZ axis adjustments for AS3X and why should I make too many trials for flap and reflex reactions of AS3X?

If I was working in horizonhobby service department, I would invest my time for this but right now, I just want to deactivate it and use the telemetry(variometer) feature of this RX with this model. This is a 5 min. job with a decent 5 min to read manual.

I should not be a volunteer for horizon for their tech features, or they should not forward me to 3rd parties for requesting help. This is not ethical nor fare I believe. I just paid the requested amount, and I just want to get the value that I paid for.
Last edited by hakinan; Jan 18, 2021 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typos
Jan 18, 2021, 05:19 PM
Rabid Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakinan
Thank you very much for your smart suggestion, however horizon hobby has stock issues from the beginning with this model. I initially purchased a model without receiver, it came defected, I returned.

They informed that they are out of stock, so I had to buy a RTF model. From the very begging of their CONSCENDO EVOLUTION launch, they have stock issues, propeller, nose complaints, etc. Probably they stop the sales of the model to improve it. If you make a basic search about this model you will see a huge number of technical issues and stock inconsistency.

You are brand new to the hobby. Joined in August. Since you’ve joined it seems all of your issues are the fault of Horizon Hobbies. Have you considered joining an R/C club? You would get lots of first hand help from fellow flyers and they might suggest you try other brands.
Jan 18, 2021, 05:24 PM
Arrowhead
Can you not simply set the gains to zero?
Jan 18, 2021, 05:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookaHat
You are brand new to the hobby. Joined in August. Since you’ve joined it seems all of your issues are the fault of Horizon Hobbies. Have you considered joining an R/C club? You would get lots of first hand help from fellow flyers and they might suggest you try other brands.
Thank you very much for your offer.

I already admit that I regret buying from Horizon Hobby, do I have any other faults in this case?

Do you think this process, after-sales procedures, product support, models (actually receiver) design parameters and methodology are fare or ethical from the business perspective? Are they all my fault?
Jan 18, 2021, 05:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Can you not simply set the gains to zero?
If doing this will stop AS3X I will do that but I didn't not now that was the solution. I tried to speak with product support, they say do your own research. If this will stop AS3x I will definitely try this. THanks a lot.
Jan 18, 2021, 05:33 PM
Electron Whisperer
Very simple- borrow a PC and load Spectrum program software. Plug in the SPMA3065 cable - after it is recognized by USB, start the software. Plug cable in to the ar637TA. REMOVE PROP FROM CONSCENDO !. Then plug in battery and wait for esc to beep. In the Spektrum program, export the code to a file (because you can't get it back from Horizon if you change your mind) - then do a reset on the receiver. This unlocks it. Now unplug battery, remove program cable from receiver. Setup your transmitter (Must be Spektrum Airware with forward programming- not old gen 1 ) - set up the aircraft how you want it. Then follow the videos on doing Forward program and set gains to zero which effectively turns off AS3X.
OR yank the ar637TA , sell it online and put in an AR6110T which has altimeter and vario built in and no as3x/SAFE. .or use the AR8020T if you need 8 channels (it has altimeter and vario too)
/Start RANT **Make sure to glue Stabilizer so it won't slip back (tape no good) and replace the spinner/prop before it explodes and rips the front off. ** /END RANT

Quick Reply