Sep 15, 2012, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude
Ahhhh... but orange is the most visible colour. It'll offer a great chance to turn TS II into a dot in the sky

Cheers
The human eye can't discern colour at that kind of range.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2012, 06:11 PM
Mini Obsessed
Quote:
May be on a bright sunlight but orange/ amber has overall superior visibility to human eyes even in fog or mist. All traffic lights have amber lights to warn light is going to change and so on.

Cheers
True, in those conditions, you have me beat!
Sep 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
I got FPV fever
Gerry_ The human eye can't discern colour at that kind of range

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
It'd just be a silhouette then - you wouldn't be able to see what colour it was

Pure white is about as bad as it gets up against cloud though - anything is better than that!
Relatively speaking (colourwise)..

Cheers
Sep 17, 2012, 01:42 AM

TS-2 Controller Question

My TS-2 has developed a problem: after connecting the flight battery, I first check the aileron, rudder and elevator functions. These all check out as normal. When I then check the throttle, however, the motors stop after a short run. Repeated tries give the same result, regardless of the throttle position ..... can't fly!

I have brushed motors (480 Long Can) and a compatible ESC (35A, I believe.)

I think I can rule out ESC overheating, since run time is only about 10-15 seconds before the motors cut out.

Any help, or, should I post on the POWER SYSTEMS forum?

Virg.
Sep 17, 2012, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Kee
My TS-2 has developed a problem: after connecting the flight battery, I first check the aileron, rudder and elevator functions. These all check out as normal. When I then check the throttle, however, the motors stop after a short run. Repeated tries give the same result, regardless of the throttle position ..... can't fly!

I have brushed motors (480 Long Can) and a compatible ESC (35A, I believe.)

I think I can rule out ESC overheating, since run time is only about 10-15 seconds before the motors cut out.

Any help, or, should I post on the POWER SYSTEMS forum?

Virg.
Sounds like LVC.

What pack are you using, and what are the settings on the ESC? Have you tried more than one pack? Has it worked ok before?
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Sep 17, 2012, 11:42 AM
gravity is strong where I fly
I thought one ESC and 2 motors were a no-no......... is this why?

I never tried it - because I was told not to
Sep 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
Mini Obsessed
On a brushed it is fine.
Brushless it is a no no.
Sep 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
Mini Obsessed
Make sure you have your LVC set right.
Should be 9V for a 3S pack. I have flown the TS with a 2S pack and had success with bigger props on the brushed motors, but had to set the lvc to 6V.
Sep 19, 2012, 12:59 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
It could also be happening if the motor/prop combo is drawing too much for the ESC rating.
Sep 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
Fly Seaplanes

One ESC 2 motors

You can run 2 motors from the same ESC, The motors need to be identical and the ESC rated for enough amperage.
I have done it on planes and Boats.
Sep 19, 2012, 08:30 PM
Stantheman
Quote:
Gerry_ The human eye can't discern colour at that kind of range

and

Relatively speaking (colourwise)..

Cheers
When I was in the Air Force, ahem, years ago, the Air Force did a study pertaining to what color was most visible at great distances. The winner?
FLORESCENT ORANGE.
Sep 20, 2012, 09:30 AM
Mini Obsessed
Makes sense to me.
Sep 20, 2012, 06:16 PM
I got FPV fever
^^ Well said and I wasn't going to show off my background in aviation. Now you know why windsock and VFR airport symbols are in orange.

Fluorescent orange is the most visible I agree but I don't thing CAA has accepted it yet. May be someone can correct me.

Cheers
Sep 20, 2012, 08:19 PM
Well this color thing is very dependent on angle and distance, weather..
I fly gliders and have no problem seeing 2 m glider as long as it is black. At 1400 ft and higher all colors fade to gray or darker at an angle, looking directly from the bottom all colors turn variation of black, the background sky is always brighter causing this effect. Just like trying to take a picture of a person in front of back lit window.
I can only judge what the plane is doing at this height if I paint it all black on the bottom, top can be orange or red or what ever but if I am very high and roll or loop I loose the view of the plane until the black side is facing me, then the plane is clearly outlined again. I wander what the distance was navy used in their tests. It is also different when you are flying and looking down with the sun behind or above you, then colors are visible much longer, however that is not what we do.
Last edited by ddruck; Sep 20, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Sep 20, 2012, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Sounds like LVC.

What pack are you using, and what are the settings on the ESC? Have you tried more than one pack? Has it worked ok before?
What pack? ...... 2S Lipo

ESC settings? ...... Here are the Mfr's (GWS) specs:

[I]["NOTES FROM OUR TECH DEPARTMENT" (Tower Hobbies)

This is the GWS High Frequency 30A Electronic Speed Control
for LiPo battery packs.

FEATURES: Forward only (no brake)
2-3 cell input
Lightweight
Futaba J style radio connector
Bare wire for motor and batttery allows you to choose your connector
Instructions on back of header card

INCLUDES: One 30A LiPo compatible ESC

REQUIRES: Motor, Battery and connectors

SPECS: Auto Cut (V): 5.4V and 8.1V
BEC: 5V/1.2A
Current: 30A continuous/45A max
Weight: 20g (.71oz) with wire 6g (.21oz) without wire
Length: 38mm (1.5") ESC 19mm (.75") HEATSINK
Width: 23mm (.91") ESC 31mm (1.22") HEATSINK
Heigth: 9mm (.35") ESC 6mm (.24") HEATSINK/I]

With 30A available, I shouldn't be hitting LVC since the 480 Long Cans only want 12A ea.

Tried more than one pack? ..... Yes, I have an identical one, but haven't tried it since the problem began.

Has it worked OK before? ..... Yes, the problem just began.

I'll charge up the batts and see what happens.

Thanks all, Virg.
Last edited by Virgil Kee; Sep 22, 2012 at 04:23 AM.

Quick Reply