May 02, 2006, 09:27 AM
DRAGONUS
Hi all just thought I would say hello on this thread. I have a second hand Twin Star 1 on the way. Its ready to fly, and i have a 4 channel non-computer transmitter to use with it. I hope this is all going to work!

I am a newbie to planks, so i hope i can report with a successful maiden! I will have to wait for a calm day i want it to be as straightforward as possible

Butuz
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2006, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butuz
Hi all just thought I would say hello on this thread. I have a second hand Twin Star 1 on the way. Its ready to fly, and i have a 4 channel non-computer transmitter to use with it. I hope this is all going to work!

I am a newbie to planks, so i hope i can report with a successful maiden! I will have to wait for a calm day i want it to be as straightforward as possible

Butuz
Good luck with your maiden. The TS-II is a dream to fligh especially with a couple of little changes. I'm considering a landing gear on it, should be easy to do
May 02, 2006, 06:38 PM
Yes good luck from me to with the maiden. Landing gear was a big improvement in the fun area. I also added flaps, don't need them but it was fun to do. This one is TS1 and has a lot of flying time and rash on it but a real fun plane to have.
May 03, 2006, 03:54 AM
DRAGONUS
kraaijer thanks. All of the videos and reviews of the TS1/2 have been very good. I was going to go for the easystar - but i think it is somewhat castrated compared to the twinstar? THe twinstar seems to have full aero function (rolls inverted, etc) wheras the easystar seems a bit castrated, optimised for flying in a straight line.

wlengel - wow that sure looks as if it has had a fair bit of flight time! Love the paint job and landing gear!

Landing gear is something i want to do on mine. Also - i really want to do the modification to sea plane. Either waterproof/reprofile the hull, or proper floats. We'll see how it goes, if i get on well with the TS-1 i think i may well get a TS-2 and go brushless on it and make it into a sea plane. My workmate is big into R/C boats, would be nice to go along and buz him hehe.

Cheers

Butuz
May 03, 2006, 10:09 AM
Quote:
kraaijer thanks. All of the videos and reviews of the TS1/2 have been very good. I was going to go for the easystar - but i think it is somewhat castrated compared to the twinstar? THe twinstar seems to have full aero function (rolls inverted, etc) wheras the easystar seems a bit castrated, optimised for flying in a straight line.
I have the easystar too, but did about 2 flights on it before I started with the TS-II. The Twinstar is in general a very easy and forgiving plane with the advantage of having ailerons which is a big plus once you've mastered flying. It floats very well up to a point where landing in a little wind can actually keep the TS from settling down, you have to force it .

So my personal opinion is that spending money on the Easystar is not well spend if you go for the TS after...

As far as the gear goes, I would hold that project until you mastered the plane, unless you're a proficient flyer already

Ron
May 03, 2006, 10:31 AM
If you do a water version of the TS please post a thread about it. I would love to convert mine. I do have a Puddlemaster I fly off of a lake, a TS with floats or something would be great.
May 03, 2006, 11:36 AM
DRAGONUS
No I am not a proficient flyer - the opposite, i am a total newbie. But i fly helicopters so i am hoping my stick discipline will be enough not to crash my plane on the first flight

If i get on well with my TS1 i will definatly add landing gear on that one. If i do a water plane, it will be a nice new TS2 i think with brushless and LIPOs.

Butuz
May 03, 2006, 02:39 PM
I am not sure that a brushless is necessarily worth the money, remember, you would need two ESC, one for each motor...

I've got 480's on it with a Lipo 3300 3s1p and 6/3 blades. A brushless setup will not really give you a lot more for your money.

I would consider going brushless if I would want to carry a lot of stuff like a cam or something, you'll save a couple of gramms per motor.

I started out flying helicopters too, still do that. I found flying planes not overly complicated. Landing is the difficult part when using a gear, other then that I did not have a problem ajusting from helicopter to plane. The obvious control changes are pitch and rudder. Pitch doesn't exist on a plane and rudder is used in a completely different manner.

Good luck and let us know how you do on your first flight!

Ron
May 03, 2006, 03:45 PM
DRAGONUS
Yes it does seem that the plane has fine power on the standard motors. I have been slowly reading through this thread - and have seen the massive arguments about brushless, and motor efficency's etc. All i want do to really with brushless & lipo's, is gain more reliability, use less weight, and get more flight time. We'll see. I want to see how well it flies on the brushed, first

I have FlightPower EVO20 2S1P 1200 batteries for my piccolo, so i will probably use two of those packs in paralel to give 2S2P 2400MAH. I will also want to try out some of those V28 Emoly cells in 2S1P 3000mah format.

I am so exited!

Butuz
May 03, 2006, 11:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I was going to go for the easystar - but i think it is somewhat castrated compared to the twinstar? THe twinstar seems to have full aero function (rolls inverted, etc) wheras the easystar seems a bit castrated, optimised for flying in a straight line.
Cheers

Butuz
The EasyStar is designed for beginners (needs rudder/elevator only and flies fine hands off), while the TwinStar is for advanced pilots, i.e. makes a great ailerons trainer.

A good model in between is the MiniMag. Flies fine on rudder/elevator and can easily upgraded to ailerons later.

Jürgen
May 04, 2006, 08:57 AM
RC Veteran
Well, I wouldn't say the EasyStar is castrated because of the lack of ailerons. It flies VERY well without them, and is a lot less demanding. I enjoy my EasyStar as much as I do my brushless TwinStar II. The TSII is not really a good beginner's plane, IMO, as it is twice as fast, and much heavier. (can cause more damage to itself and other objects it hits)

Whether you're happy with the stock power system of the TSII depends on your tastes and your battery pack. The safest thing to do is to buy the brushed ESC second-hand for a good price, buy the best battery you can afford (a big 2S LiPo is a good idea) and try the stock setup, maybe with slightly bigger props for the lower voltage of the 2S LiPo. See if you are happy with that, and if not, save up and go brushless.

Many of the people who were happy with the stock motors have not tried it on brushless power. The climb is much better with brushless, which means you don't need as much room to fly, you can fly in higher winds, and you'll have some reserve power to get yourself out of the occasional pinch. It is true that it is an expensive proposition, but probably no more than going brushless on any other plane of this size. (i.e. either you buy two smaller, less expensive motors & ESCs, or one larger, very expensive motor & ESC.)

Anyway, it's a great plane if you have some experience. You don't have to be an expert, but you should have some experience.
May 05, 2006, 09:54 PM
RC Veteran

New Video Posted

Direct link for download:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hmentid=819664

Link to the post in the Airplanes - Electric Videos forum: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514079

I have a couple more in the works, but there's a lot of editing to do first...
May 10, 2006, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Z

Nice video. Thanks for sharing !
May 10, 2006, 06:39 PM
DRAGONUS
Great vids!! I hope it isnt that windy when i fly mine or im gonna do some serious crashin!!

Butuz

Quick Reply