Mar 11, 2006, 02:33 PM
Got shenpa?

I don't think so, Bill! If run at or below the rated 12 A current, I don't think these motors are going to make 1:1 thrust, though they might come close.

Amazing how well that Twinstar II hovers, with those small control surfaces and zero elevator input to correct for that not quite 90-degree pitch angle.

-Flieslikeabeagle
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2006, 05:06 PM
I am having trouble trimming out my TS ll. I am using four Hitec 81 mg servos and a Futaba R127DF receiver. The radio I am using is a Futaba 6EXAP 6 channel computer radio. The rudder and elevator are no problem to set but I am having trouble setting the ailerons. I am using channels 1 and 6 for the aileron servos . Should I use the flaperon mix for the two servos . The trouble I am having is to get the ailerons to go up 18mm. but down only 10mm. as the manual suggests. THE WALRUS
Mar 11, 2006, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE WALRUS
The trouble I am having is to get the ailerons to go up 18mm. but down only 10mm. as the manual suggests.
Simply swing the servo arms forward so they are angled towards the wing leading edge by 30 degrees or so when the ailerons are neutral (centred).
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Mar 11, 2006, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl

I don't think so, Bill!
OK I confess, my Super Star does hover though
Mar 11, 2006, 07:03 PM
sensitive artsy type
Bill, what is the deal on the hovering TSII? Nice pic. tt

Edit: You funny! got me!

beagle is so observant!
Mar 11, 2006, 09:31 PM
SlopeHead
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE WALRUS
I am having trouble trimming out my TS ll. I am using four Hitec 81 mg servos and a Futaba R127DF receiver. The radio I am using is a Futaba 6EXAP 6 channel computer radio. The rudder and elevator are no problem to set but I am having trouble setting the ailerons. I am using channels 1 and 6 for the aileron servos . Should I use the flaperon mix for the two servos . The trouble I am having is to get the ailerons to go up 18mm. but down only 10mm. as the manual suggests. THE WALRUS
Ok, just reread the manual.

1 - Use the flaperon mix

2 - Adjust up throw with the EPA (end point adjustment)

3 - Adjust the down throw with differential in the Flaperon mix. For the down throw you mention it should be 45%

Ask if you have any more doubts.
Mar 12, 2006, 01:22 AM
Got shenpa?
TT, us flying beagles have to be observant - it's necessary for survival. We beagles are poorly equipped by nature when it comes to weaponry, and between the continual threats of attack from hawks, vultures, and opinionated RC pilots, we have to be alert at all times!

Made some progress on my TS-II today. I cut and soldered extensions to the aileron servos, speed control signal leads, and speed control power leads. I finished routing channels in the wings for all the extra wire, cut away more foam to make room for the Spektrum AR6000 receiver in the center of the wing, and have just started to glue the two wing halves together.

Actually what I did was tack-glue the carbon spar into one wing half (without the foam retainer strip on the underside, wait a few hours for the CA to set, and now I've just positioned the second wing half onto the carbon shaft and applied CA to tack-glue it too to the shaft. I'm using masking tape at the TE and LE of the wing halves where they join to ensure both are at the same incidence angle (the TE's and LE's of the two halves mate up as they should).

Tomorrow I hope to finish routing and soldering up all the leads, and install the receiver. I still have to crimp and solder on some servo connectors and do some creative wiring - I have to make a final decision whether to use my switching BEC, or split up the load between the two BEC's in the two Thunderbird 18 ESC's, two servos to each.

If all goes *very* well I should have everything together and ready for a test flight by evening, but we'll see how many unexpected distractions come up.

Now it's off to hang out with the wife and watch a DVD together. It's a cold night by LA standards, good for snuggling with your honey!

-Flieslikeabeagle
Mar 12, 2006, 01:46 AM
sensitive artsy type
Well, seems beagles like to fly "on the prop".
Mar 12, 2006, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcosta
Ok, just reread the manual.

1 - Use the flaperon mix

2 - Adjust up throw with the EPA (end point adjustment)

3 - Adjust the down throw with differential in the Flaperon mix. For the down throw you mention it should be 45%

Ask if you have any more doubts.
That will probably work, but if you're never going to deflect the ailerons fully down then it's mechanically more efficient to angle the servo output arms as I suggested.
Mar 12, 2006, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
Bill, what is the deal on the hovering TSII? Nice pic. tt

Edit: You funny! got me!

beagle is so observant!
All this mega-power brushless talk tempted me

I could easily have given it some control surface deflections - the TS2 was screen-grabbed from my AFPD sim.

But I thought leaving a clue or two was the decent thing to do
Mar 12, 2006, 12:35 PM
RC Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
Made some progress on my TS-II today.

Whatever you do, make sure you don't rush through this build.
Mar 12, 2006, 01:21 PM
Got shenpa?
Jeremy, I haven't heard all that much about you rushing through yours, either! What's the state of your TS-II at the moment?

Not to bore anyone with details, but in the last few weeks, when I haven't been working or asleep, I've been too exhausted to do any building.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Last edited by flieslikeabeagl; Mar 12, 2006 at 01:34 PM.
Mar 12, 2006, 01:32 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
All this mega-power brushless talk tempted me
This comes down to opinion again, of course, but Franck's brushless setup (300W, IIRC) might reasonably count as mega-power.

But IIRC, it was mentioned earlier in this thread that the stock setup has each motor pulling some 12 A (and conseqently running at about 45% WOT efficiency), from, I think, a 7-cell pack. That's about 168 W into the motors. The twin 400XT setup (and the Typhoon setup just discussed) pull about the same or a bit less current - 10 A per motor for 400XT's - off a 3S lipo pack. That's about 200W into the motors, so these upgrades draw only about 20% more power from the batteries than the stock brushed setup. Not a huge increase, really.

Due to the poor efficiency of the stock motors, the actual power making it to the props at WOT will be only 45% of 168 W, or about 75W. The 400XT's run at about 75% efficiency WOT, so 75% of 200 W will make it to the props - that's 150W, or 200% more than the stock setup!

That's where these brushless hop-ups show their benefit: the battery isn't being asked to put out much more power than with the stock setup, but about twice the power consumed from the battery is actually making it to the props instead of heating up the motors.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Mar 12, 2006, 01:39 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
Well, seems beagles like to fly "on the prop".
Dunno, TT, looks to me more like Snoopy's flying "on the roof"

-Flieslikeabeagle
Mar 12, 2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks for your advice Beagle, your knowledge never ceases to amaze!

Cheers

Quick Reply