Jan 17, 2021, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Laser Goo

Really coolant system Goo.

I was doing an engraving the other day and noticed a streamer of Goo in my laser tube. It was hung up on one of the dimples that supports the inner laser tube. At first I just figured I leave it as a flow indicator ( joking ).

I drained part of my cooling system and added some Vinegar to hopefully kill anything that is actively growing. After letting that run a bit, I still had my streamers in the tube, so I did a few cycles or back flushing, forward, back.... Finally got all the streamers loose and cleaned them out of my filter..

I'll let the Vinegar mix run for several hours then do a few flushes of fresh distilled water.

I bought some aquarium anti fungal/algaecide to add when I do the final refill.

I expect part of the reason I have a growth issue is that my laser sits for long periods of time.

Has anyone else had this issue? Do you add anything to your coolant? I've googled this and opinions seem to vary quiet a bit.

Joel
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2021, 10:53 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
If it's a closed-loop cooling system, fill it with Mineral Oil instead of water. It won't grow anything. And if it leaks inside your machine, it won't short circuit anything. Mineral Oil is what's in my Glowforge and all the CPU coolers I have in my workstations.
Jan 23, 2021, 08:53 PM
Thread OP
Interesting thought. Though without a pump designed for mineral oil, not sure I would try it.
Jan 24, 2021, 01:15 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
it is a bit more viscous, but not a lot. They call them "water cooling blocks" in the PC world, but they're all filled with mineral oil, not water. Because: leaks.
Jan 24, 2021, 02:04 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
I use Tetra aquarium water treatment and it has worked fine for me.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jan 26, 2021, 07:51 PM
Thread OP
yep, tetra is what I used

Quick Reply