Spektrum NX10 10-Channel Transmitter Review

The Spektrum™ NX10 10-channel DSMX® transmitter gives intermediate to advanced pilots a new opportunity to explore the advantages of truly innovative radio control.

Spektrums latest powerful 10 channel aircraft transmitter for intermediate to advanced pilots

Introduction

Type: DSM2/DSMX 10 Channel Telemetry Tx
Application: Airplane/Helicopter/Multi-Rotor/Sailplane
Channels: 10
Model Memory: 250
Resolution: 2048
Charger: Yes
SD Card/Airware Capable: Yes
Flight Log Compatible: Yes
Frame Rate: 11ms/22ms selectable
Telemetry: Yes
Transmitter (Tx) Battery Type: 1S3P 6000mAh LiIon
Available From: Horizon Hobby
Price: $499.99

The latest generation of Spektrum transmitters is here and they have a great deal to offer.

This is a review of the Spektrum NX10 10-channel transmitter from Horizon Hobby. There have been several reviews both in print and online, but I wanted to take a slightly different tack. While I will cover most of the basic features of the NX10, I am going to share my experience with this transmitter over the last several months. I have not had a modern Spektrum 2.4Ghz transmitter, the last one that I had was the venerable DX7. I did have it upgraded from DSM to DSMX2 and DSMX at one point. I bring this up because I represent a customer that hasn’t experienced the modern features of the Spektrum line. This puts me in the category of being pretty much a new customer without the background experience on this line of computer radios. Learning a new computer radio is not one of my favorite things but I found that the exercise, in this case, was well worth the effort. It also turned out to be a great deal easier than some of my earlier experiences. So, for someone who has never had a Spektrum transmitter or someone like me who hasn’t had a modern one, this review is for you.

What's in the Box

• NX10 10 channel transmitter
  • Magnetic USB charge cord
  • Magnetic Micro USB charge adapter
  • Decal set
  • Neck strap
  • Manual

Features

Let's go over some of the features that make this transmitter stand out. First on that list for me is the built-in Wi-Fi that allows for wireless updates, product registration and model downloads. Many of us these days have purchased BNF aircraft from Horizon Hobby and the NX10 includes a built in selection of all the BNF aircraft setups, all ready to be added to your aircraft list. No additional setup is required, you have all the radio programming done in seconds, ready to fly. This takes all of the complexity out, making this a very user-friendly transmitter. With the NX10's 250 model memory, you won't run out of space for your air force any time soon.

Quick Startup

Bright Screen

Battery Pack

The NX10 comes with a 6000mAh Lithium Ion battery pack for a very long run time. Charging is done via USB charge cord with a magnetic micro USB attachment.

Back of the Transmitter

On the back of the transmitter is a data port and a headphone jack. A micro SD memory card slot is provided on the bottom of the transmitter.

Easy Store Folding Antenna

The folding antenna is a big plus, it makes for compact storage and transport.

Hall-effect Gimbals

The gimbals are another high quality feature. They are Hall-effect gimbals that use magnets and sensors to determine stick movement all without any mechanical connection and subsequent wear. They have a good feel and are very precise. The stick tension can be adjusted to your preference.

While most will be upgrading from a DX series radio and will already be familiar with the navigation through the menus, it is fairly intuitive even to the new user.

D/R and Expo

Throttle Cut and Mixing Screens

Sequence and Timer Screens

Sound Events

System Setup Screens

Model Type Screen

Who is this transmitter for?

I have been flying this transmitter for the last several months, getting more used to it each time I fly. I am basically an intermediate level flier with a variety of aircraft in my fleet. I fly mostly warbirds with flaps and retracts, but I also enjoy some fixed gear planes like the Ag tractor and Stearman. That being said, it is clear that I am not using all of the features of this radio to their full potential. I am really enjoying it however. It has a very comfortable feel in my hands and the switches all feel like they are in the correct place. The bright color screen is easy to see and the voice feature is a comforting reminder that I have activated the correct switch. I never knew that I would love the voice feature of the radio so much but I really do find it a solid plus. I also utilize the telemetry feature to check on the flight battery voltage. With telemetry capable receivers and additional modules, a variety of functions can be monitored from the transmitter. I think that with ESC's and batteries getting smarter, having a transmitter that gives you access to this information is a very big plus. With its 250 model memory, I won't be filling this radio up for a long time.

Conclusion

The NX 6,8 and 10 are replacing most of the DX line of transmitters. If you are considering moving up from a more basic transmitter or replacing an older model, the new NX series should be very appealing. They are a powerful and capable computer radio that offers flexibility as well as being backed by a company with an excellent reputation for customer service and innovation. If you need a quality transmitter, give the NX series a look.

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Jun 24, 2021 at 01:08 PM..
Jul 09, 2021, 09:01 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Hi-flyer for context, what radio did you jump from?

I'm in the same category, having not flown any recent spectrum radios...
Jul 09, 2021, 09:42 PM
Crashing with style since 1994
I just bought one since February…Great radio, with the release of firmware 3.05 its even better..!
Great solid feeling when holding it in your hands. WIfI and pre loaded templates are the best features when comparing with competing radios in this price point..!! Like the past DX9, i have no doubt this is going to be the best seller radio for Spektrum…. Kudos to Spektrum
Last edited by FLYINGBOXER; Jul 09, 2021 at 09:52 PM.
Jul 11, 2021, 12:39 PM
Are there any 10 channel receivers to go with the NX10?
Jul 11, 2021, 02:11 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmccull
Are there any 10 channel receivers to go with the NX10?
Not available currently.

There are two known to be in the pipeline, the AR10100T and the AR10360T (regular and AS3X/SAFE respectively) but while they are up on the FCC site, they have been there since October and Horizon hasn't officially announced them yet, so who knows when they will hit stores.
Jul 11, 2021, 05:23 PM
I have a Jeti and a DX-9 and love both of them. The DS-12 is in a price category of its own but if someone were moving up the Spektrum line or moving into Spektrum I would say for them to take a strong look at the NX10.

Quick Reply