Jun 08, 2005, 04:14 PM
Pesky Landings!
Thread OP

Dream flight Alula? Electrified maybe?!

Apologies if this is really the wrong place to ask this, but I'm thinking about getting a couple of the Alula kits from www.dream-flight.com I want to keep one as a complete glider as orginally designed, but I'm really tempted to have a go at electrifying the second kit with a really lightweight power system.

I was just wondering if anyone has any build tips, or has seen electric conversions of this type before?

And to keep it vaguely on topic, are there any tips for a new build? Anything that should be done different to the standard build to improve the model?

Cheers
Andy
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2005, 10:44 PM
Will fly for food
I flew a prototype alula that had split elevators and seperate ailerons 2 weeks ago. It flew great. The pitch senistivity was gone and the roll rate is OK. The 2 aileron servos HS 50's were buried in the wing and the elevator servo in the fuse.
Jun 08, 2005, 11:21 PM
David,

I guess Andy is asking about the conver Alula to e-sailplane
Surfimp had this idea of utilizing CD-Rom motor and 2c lipo for Alula, but not tried it yet.

-Kai
Jun 09, 2005, 04:41 AM
Pesky Landings!
Thread OP
That's exactly what i was thinking Kai, Either a small cd motor, or one of the 12mm class Feigoa BL motors, and a small light Lipo.

I'm also asking for tips when it comes to the build as well, as I want to keep one kit as a glider, and the other try an e-conversion.

I like the sound of the split ailerons and elevator. Have you got any pictures of that anywhere? I'm trying to visualise where the split is, and how the linkages are routed. I guess with seperate elevator and ailerons, then you might have scope for mixing in spoilerons/flaperons to help with the pin point landings.

Cheers
Andy
Jun 10, 2005, 10:28 PM
Resistered Pilot
The process for the mod. is outlined in the most recent issue of R/C Soaring Digest. The authors didn't let on to which version of the Alula flew BETTER (they also have a stock one)......not until next months issue. But it sounds like David may have let the cat out of the bag a bit. Again the real question is, which version flys better. www.nesail.com has the Cirrus 5.4 servos that Micheal recommends for the Alula on sale for $13 (normally $25 I think). I picked up 3 thinking of the Alula modification
Jun 11, 2005, 10:25 PM
Hi there.
Please go to the flying wing section and look at the thred about the Golden Wing that I am working on. Tell me what you think of this 60" version of the Alula.
Later, Kyle Kroker
Jun 12, 2005, 02:48 AM
Pesky Landings!
Thread OP
Thanks for the pointer on the RCSD stueyjames! I've downloaded every issue, and now have enough reading material for lunchtimes at work to last for a good few weeks!

I'm off to Cosford Airshow in a bit, so I'll have alook at the Golden wing thing later if that's okay?

Cheers
Andy

Quick Reply