H-King (PNF) Avro Lancaster V3 "Dumbo" British WWII Heavy Bomber (1320mm)

Following on from versions 1 and 2 of the H-King Avro Lancaster, this version 3 represents the lightest and most well-mannered version yet.

Splash

Avro Lancaster V3 "Dumbo" British WWII Heavy Bomber

The V3 Lancaster is designed to be the most lightly loaded version of this classic model and therefore the best performing, it is a 'Lightweight, Heavy Bomber', that's hand launch-ready right out of the box. A differential thrust set-up for added yaw control and far more realistic flight performance is the key recommendation to get the very best out of the model, but she'll happily fly on throttle, elevator, and aileron control alone. The V3 Lancaster can now achieve up to 7 minutes flight time on a 1400mAh 3S, but still has the option of an electric retractable undercarriage for those that wish to have it. Weight over the earlier versions has been further saved by removing the opening bomb-bay door mechanism and servo, complete removal of the undercarriage, and removal of the tailwheel steering servo. This lighter weight makes hand launching a simple and trouble-free affair, slow, and realistic scale flight is greatly improved for those low, slow bombing passes, and less power is required meaning greater flight times.

The Lancaster was a British WWll heavy bomber that was designed and manufactured by the Avro Company in England. The Lancaster was powered by four Rolls-Royce Merlin engines and first saw service in 1942 and has become one of the most famous aircraft of WW2. It was at the core of RAF's Bomber commands strategic bombing offensive over Europe and it was the main aircraft for the night-time bombing campaigns that followed. The HobbyKing V3 has been finished in a new, authentic color scheme which depicts 619 Squadrons "Dumbo" PG-D aircraft that operated from RAF Strubby, Lincolnshire, during 1943-45.

The fully molded EPO foam "Plug N Fly" Lancaster V3 comes pre-painted with scale panel lines, the decals are factory applied, motors and ESC's are pre-wired and installed, the elevator and aileron servos are also pre-installed. Assembly is very straightforward, the canopy, gun turrets, and .303 machine guns need to be fitted, servo pushrods installed, and the tailplane needs gluing in place. Scale 3 blade propellers with spinners and molded cowlings finish off the Lancaster's stunning scale detail which makes this a practical, must-have model for any scale or warbird enthusiast. Battery and radio access is very easy through the bomb-bay doors and these are held closed while flying with some strong permanent magnets. The two-piece wing simply slides onto the wing joining spars and is held in place with two screws. However at 1320mm, the Lancaster is very easy to transport in one piece, so if you wish, the wing can be glued in place too for extra security.

Features:

• Plug N Fly, just add receiver and flight battery
  • Thin plastic gear door 'skid plates' pre-installed for belly landing operations
  • Fully molded EPO airframe with scale panel lines
  • Detailed graphics and finish in authentic Bomber Command 619 Sqd "Dumbo" color scheme
  • Lightweight out of the box set-up for slow, scale, realistic flying
  • Intended for use with differential thrust set-up via modern radio transmitters for yaw control
  • Option for fitting electric servoless retracts

Specs:

• Wingspan: 1320mm
  • Length: 900mm
  • Flying Weight: 1065g (depending on set-up)
  • Motor: 4 x 2627-1500KV brushless
  • ESC: 4 x 15A brushess (non-UBEC)
  • Servo: 3 x 9g
  • Propellers: 2 x Std 6x4, 2 x Reverse 6x4

CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Jan 13, 2021 at 09:47 AM..
Jan 13, 2021, 11:43 AM
DFS#000178
So it's basically the same airframe as the V2 just without the retracts? Does it come with the retracts but you have to install them or do you have to buy them separately? I see in the photo above that the struts are in the box but are the retract units?

Are the props stronger than the originals? The original's props were very very delicate and belly flopping this thing with props that fragile isn't going to be fun.
Jan 13, 2021, 12:47 PM
Very good point about the props, I was wondering the same thing.
Iím glad theyíre bringing the Lancaster back but Iíll wait and see how people get on with the belly landing before I hit the buy button.
Jan 13, 2021, 01:18 PM
Looks interesting, but a bit too large for me. What blows my mind is 7 minutes on a 1400mAh 3S battery? With 4 props, how is this possible?
Jan 13, 2021, 01:43 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknTan
Looks interesting, but a bit too large for me. What blows my mind is 7 minutes on a 1400mAh 3S battery? With 4 props, how is this possible?
Very small motors. It's not uncommon for 250-size quadcopters to get 10+ minutes of casual buzzing around on 1300mah packs. So that's not all that surprising.

My question is will it balance with a pack that small? Without the retracts infront of the CG? My V2 needed a 3s 2200 pushed as far forward as possible to balance. And that was with the retracts ahead of the CG.
Jan 13, 2021, 02:44 PM
HobbyKing
Hi guys. To answer some questions.

No it does not come with retracts, but covers over the previously open retract wells. These are skid plates that protect this area on belly landing. This was all done to keep the airframe as light as possible and it flies better for it. However if you wish to fit the optional retracts, the mounting blocks can be found under these covers and its a very straight forward job to do.

On props I've been flying the one in the video for a few months now and my old one a lot before that and have yet to break a prop on landing, but you do need to gave it power through the approach and cut the power just as you land, and find good grass too. Do that and you'll be fine, if not, we have spares.

Yes 7min flight times with mixed throttle use are possible on a 1400mah 3S I found. I'd be flying the majority of this 7min flight at mid throttle and just cruising however keep in mind. But even with a more sprightly use of power 6mins is within the norms of this model on this pack.

For balance, if you do not intend to use make use of the optional retracts remove the lump of nose weight from inside the nose of the fuselage and you can balance the model with the 1400mah pack shown approximately here in this image. Note my Rx is at the rear under the foam you can see and the camera on the wing is approx on the CG.

Hope this helps gents.

S.
Jan 13, 2021, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Warne
Hi guys. To answer some questions.
On props I've been flying the one in the video for a few months now and my old one a lot before that and have yet to break a prop on landing, but you do need to gave it power through the approach and cut the power just as you land, and find good grass too. Do that and you'll be fine, if not, we have spares.

S.
Thanks Stuart. Luckily Iíve got two spare sets of props for my V2 anyway.
Jan 13, 2021, 03:48 PM
DFS#000178
Stuart, how much of the airframe is actually different?

Can we remove the retracts and install the skids on a V2 and end up with the same weight or has there been significant structural changes to get the weight down? I have a V2 that I've flown once and I wouldnt mind pulling the retracts and putting the covers over them if that's bring it down to the V3s weight.
Jan 13, 2021, 03:54 PM
Hm. I have v2 already, flies nice. If this were 1875 mm, or scale to the HK B-17, then it would be Game On for me, but, 'til that time...
Jan 13, 2021, 04:07 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewheresmyhuri
Hm. I have v2 already, flies nice. If this were 1875 mm, or scale to the HK B-17, then it would be Game On for me, but, 'til that time...
One in that size would be nice. Roughly 1/16-ish, +-1. Roughly the same scale as the Fliteline B-24, Taft B-25 and the old 650mm Funfighters that really should come back too. 1/16 is a good size.
Jan 13, 2021, 04:19 PM
Too fricking small!
Jan 13, 2021, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANFRED1
Too fricking small!
Agreed. Wouldn't it be great if they made it the same size as the HK B-17?
Jan 13, 2021, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANFRED1
Too fricking small!
Then build one yourself
www.tonynijhuisdesigns.co.uk/Lancaster72
Jan 13, 2021, 07:26 PM
HobbyKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Stuart, how much of the airframe is actually different?

Can we remove the retracts and install the skids on a V2 and end up with the same weight or has there been significant structural changes to get the weight down? I have a V2 that I've flown once and I wouldnt mind pulling the retracts and putting the covers over them if that's bring it down to the V3s weight.
Hi Rampage, weight saving was the focus on this V3, that and there is a little more pre-fabrication out of the box (control horns pre-installed now for example) and a new more high vis scheme (scale red flashes on the tail), structurally its essentially the same airframe. In reality this does translate to a better flying airframe and that was the focus for the V3.

So with that, yes you could do as you suggest and add the skid plates. That's actually a great idea, I will make the skid plates available as a spar part for those that wish to do this, so thank you for this feedback.

S.
Jan 13, 2021, 08:39 PM
Just when I swore to myself I wasn't buying anymore planes.

Interesting that you still get the full bomb load, even though the bomb bay no longer works. I guess you can put a servo on the bomb bay doors. Then add the retracts. Then you have a V2!

Quick Reply