Jan 18, 2021, 11:29 AM
Thread OP

Horizon Hobby Spektrum S2200 G2 AC Smart Charger (2 x 200W)

Introduction

Maximum Charge Rate: 20A
Maximum Continuous Discharge Rate: 1.5A
Number of Cells: 1 - 6S LiPo, LiIon, LiFe, 1-16 cell NiMH, NiCd, 1-12 cell Pb
Input Voltage: 100 - 240V AC
Output: 2 x 200W, or 380W on one channel
Output Connector: IC3 and IC5 selectable
Normal/Standard Charge Rate: 0.1 - 20.0A
Available From: Horizon Hobby
Price: $249.99

The latest in Smart lipo battery charging is available now from Horizon Hobby. Electrics have come a long way over the last couple of years. The performance of electric aircraft and surface vehicles has grown and with that growth comes greater demands on the lipo batteries and the chargers used with them. Horizon is once again at the forefront of development in this field with their new S2200 G2 Smart charger and their new G2 Smart Lipo batteries. In this review I will go over some of the features of these new products and how they perform.

What are the features of the G2 Smart Lipo battery?

• Battery has integrated microchip that stores data on the battery
  • Battery charges through the IC3 or IC5 connector without the need for a separate balance lead
  • Pre-programmed to self-discharge after 72 hours to a storage voltage at up to 1.5A for longer battery life and improved performance
  • Has thicker metal side plates for improved heat dissipation and impact protection
  • Must be charged with G2 Smart Charger (or upgraded G1 Smart Charger)
  • Auto storage setting can be changed to users preference

Horizon sent me several of the new G2 Smart Lipo batteries for testing along with the S2200 Smart Charger. The first thing that I noticed was the lack of any balance lead on the batteries. In the photo above I show the comparison of a G1 Smart Lipo with balance lead and a G2 Smart Lipo without balance lead. The G1 looks more like the batteries that we have become accustomed to using and charging. Both G1 and G2 batteries use the IC3 or IC5 smart connector that incorporates a thinner data wire to transmit and receive information between the Smart Battery and the Smart Charger.

Overview of S2200 G2 Smart Charger

• Two charging channels
  • Up to 200W per channel or 380W for a single channel
  • Charges G2 Smart Lipo batteries with single connection
  • Safe and accurate charging starts automatically on G2 Smart batteries
  • Tracks and stores a variety of smart battery data
  • Has integrated IC3 and IC5 output ports for direct connection to Smart batteries
  • Can charge 1-6 cell LiPo, LiFe, LiIon, 1-16 cell NiMH, NiCd, 1-12 cell Pb

S2200 G2 Smart Charger General Layout

Let's first go over how the new S2200 G2 Smart Charger is laid out. It is a fairly compact charger measuring only a little under 6 inches in width and depth and a little over 4 inches tall. Its compact form doesn't take up a lot of space on your workbench and it's easy to transport to the flying field (if there is AC power at the field). On the top of the charger is a bright 2.8" color screen that displays all the charging information. Below that are the navigation buttons to move through the various menus. I found the navigation to be quite intuitive and became comfortable quickly. Moving to the front of the charger there are 2 each of the IC3 and IC5 output ports built in. The appropriate port can be accessed by sliding the cover to expose it. When charging smart batteries no additional adapters are required. The left side of the charger has a full size USB output for charging other devices. There is also a micro USB input port for updating software as updates become available. The back of the charger has the AC power input. The AC cable is detachable which I like as it makes the charger much less bulky to transport. There is also an ON/OFF switch so unplugging is not required to power down the charger. There is a large cooling fan located in the rear as well.

Charging

Charging a G2 Smart Lipo with the S2200 G2 Smart Charger

To charge a G2 battery all you do is plug it into the integrated IC3 or IC5 charge port. That's it, that's all you need to do. The smart charger recognizes the smart lipo and gets its charge parameters from the batteries internal microchip. The smart charger auto-detects everything needed, cell count, charge rate, battery condition. This is really quite remarkable. Up till now, whenever you charged a lipo battery you needed to plug it in, plug in the balance connector, check the cell count, check the charge rate and set it if necessary and then press a start button. The S2200 boils all that down to just having to plug the battery into the charger. It detects all the specific parameters for that battery and safely begins to charge and balance the pack. If you are charging a G1 Smart Lipo there is one additional step required, you must plug in the balance connector to initiate the charge. When you plug in a G1 Smart Lipo the charger prompts you to do this.

Charging Non-Smart Lipo's with the S2200 G2 Smart Charger

Can the S2200 charge my conventional non-smart lipo packs? Yes it can, although not by simply plugging the battery into the charger. The S2200's IC3 and IC5 output charge ports are backward compatible with EC3 and EC5 connectors. The charge process for non-smart packs is fairly similar to what you are probably already familiar with. The pack and balance connector must be plugged in and then you choose the charge parameters. The cell count is auto-detected from the balance connection. Charge current must be selected and the start button pushed.

Simultaneous charging on the S2200

Two batteries can be charged at the same time. Each battery's progress can be monitored on the main screen, switching between channels via the channel buttons.

A closer look at the information screens of the G2 Smart Charger

Checking your battery before flight

When I go to the flying field I usually bring several models and a tub of batteries. I have developed the habit of checking the pack voltage prior to installing a pack into my airplane. There is nothing worse than thinking you have a full charge when in fact you don't. Up until now I have used a cell checker that measures the individual cell voltages when the balance connector of the pack is plugged in. Well, now with the new G2 packs that do not have a balance connector, something different is needed to check the pack status. Enter the XBC100 Smart battery checker and servo tester. With this the individual cell voltages can be checked just by plugging the IC3 plug into the checker. If your Smart Lipo pack uses an IC5 connector you will have to use an IC5 to IC3 adapter.

Final Thoughts

While I haven't had this charger for a long time, I am very pleased with the performance and ease of use. The new G2 Smart LiPo batteries can be charged and balanced in the simplest way possible. I like the ability to monitor and adjust battery parameters and keep track of battery health. I look forward to exploring all the benefits of Smart batteries in some of my aircraft. If you are in the market for a powerful, intuitive and flexible charger, you should look into picking the S2200 G2 Smart Charger.

Click Here to Visit the Spektrum S2200 G2 AC Smart Charger Webpage

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Hiflyer; Jan 17, 2021 at 01:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2021, 07:51 PM
Great review!

How do you use it in combined mode to get the 380 watts? How many amps does it charge at in this mode?
Feb 03, 2021, 12:31 PM
I set the auto storage to 48 hours on one my smart lipos; 72 hours later and the lipo is still at full, so I discharged it manually to storage charge. I tested my other smart lipos to 24 hours and 48 hours they're still at full charge. What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't they discharge automatically to the settings I selected?
Feb 11, 2021, 07:55 AM
My question is, What can this charger really do? Says "UP TO" 200 W per side.

Take two Spektrum 6S 5000 MAH batteries should be able to charge simultaneously at 7 + amps per side.

I have heard the real world charge rate in amps for this charger is 4 amps for a 6S pack, which is 100 watts per channel. That is a long way from "UP TO" 200watts per side.

Seems the words "UP TO" are marketing attention grabbers, for something that in reality is nothing better than a normal AC charger. With the exception of convenience, which is worth some coin.

Too bad I was ready to sell my DC power supply and 308Duo, and get one of these, for convenience of only having to lug a single device to do my charging at the field.

Can the tester or HH provide counter testimony in the form of a video, showing two 6S packs charging simultaneously at something close to 200 watts per side?
Feb 11, 2021, 05:44 PM
I charge two 6s 5000 packs. It will max out at 8amps each side for those.
Feb 11, 2021, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeit
My question is, What can this charger really do? Says "UP TO" 200 W per side.

Take two Spektrum 6S 5000 MAH batteries should be able to charge simultaneously at 7 + amps per side.

I have heard the real world charge rate in amps for this charger is 4 amps for a 6S pack, which is 100 watts per channel. That is a long way from "UP TO" 200watts per side.

Seems the words "UP TO" are marketing attention grabbers, for something that in reality is nothing better than a normal AC charger. With the exception of convenience, which is worth some coin.

Too bad I was ready to sell my DC power supply and 308Duo, and get one of these, for convenience of only having to lug a single device to do my charging at the field.

Can the tester or HH provide counter testimony in the form of a video, showing two 6S packs charging simultaneously at something close to 200 watts per side?
Sadly, HH have been poor so far with providing answers about this product. The support guys donít seem to know the product and just keep repeating the specs from the website.
Looking forward to real world reviews showing different charging combinations with different size lipo packs.
Mar 13, 2021, 04:05 PM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Nice to see the gen 2 got rid of that stupid ipod wheel.
I'm on my second gen 1 two channel charger, first one shorted out on one of the channels from brand new and the replacement the center button feels like it's sticking and could fail at any time.
Horizon ignored my email.

Wish I'd waited for the gen 2, didn't expect it so soon though.
Mar 13, 2021, 04:08 PM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVail
Just like their discharge rates are exaggerated I would not charge at grater than 1C regardless of what the sticker says.
Even if they can handle it it's harder on the battery and charging more than 1C which will reduce it's lifespan.
Apr 12, 2021, 10:27 PM
Recreational Model Plane Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVail
Just like their discharge rates are exaggerated I would not charge at grater than 1C regardless of what the sticker says.
Even if they can handle it it's harder on the battery and charging more than 1C which will reduce it's lifespan.
That's 200 Watts, so what's the problem. And many batteries are speced. to 3C or greater charge rate.
Discharge rates are not exaggerated but are misunderstood.
Last edited by Rhea; Apr 13, 2021 at 10:49 AM. Reason: to clarify
Apr 28, 2021, 09:56 PM
Is there any way to power this S2200 from a 12v supply for use at the field? Looks like AC only.
Apr 28, 2021, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncoiler
Is there any way to power this S2200 from a 12v supply for use at the field? Looks like AC only.
Yep, it's in the title
Quote:
Horizon Hobby Spektrum S2200 G2 AC Smart Charger (2 x 200W)
Apr 29, 2021, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncoiler
Yes, I too fell for the idea that anyone who's done any electric modeling, would know that most of the charging done at the field is with DC power supplied chargers. But then what do I know, I'm just a Turbine driver these days.

Buckle up your seat belt, you have more surprises in store......
Apr 29, 2021, 04:30 PM
I have begun using my S2200 and it is far more than I expected. I bought it because my iCharger 106B+ has been giving me some questionable results when charging my batteries and I thought I might catch up with the 21st century.
I had planned to keep my iCharger for its DC input feature and for its regenerative discharge ability. Now I think I will buy a second S2200 and the iCharger may not be used again.
It works very well with my old batteries and it is so easy to use without having to think much about what parameter values to set. The G2 batteries make it even easier.
Apr 30, 2021, 11:24 AM
Sorry guys but you have me confused with your answers, as I think the answer is no, but two of you started your reply by saying YES. LOL

Let me reword this. Is there a way to connect this S2200 to a 12V battery supply (for at the field)? We don’t have AC 120V out there. Thanks
Last edited by Uncoiler; Apr 30, 2021 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Apr 30, 2021, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Is there a way to connect this S2200 to a 12V battery supply
Still no
I didn't see anybody say yes to the question of powering the S2200 with a DC source.

Quick Reply