Jan 15, 2021, 10:38 PM
Thread OP
Time for an update. So I tried programming the ESC about every way I could and the NiMH batteries just would not get the job done. Switched over to a pair of lipos and off she went... At least in the bathtub. Admittedly I know very little about the condition of these batteries. They appear to charge fine from what I can tell. Maybe I'll plug one into a car I have and see what happens. They came with the boat used and did seem to work just fine with the old proboat ESC so not sure why the new ESC does not like them even when programmed for them.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2021, 12:25 AM
Not for nothing, the problem yo are having is due to a low voltage cut off not being set to ZERO. If the voltage cut off is set for LI-Po batteries and then run on NI-MH batteries, the difference in the discharge rate between the different batteries will cause the ESC to shut down, thinking it is reaching the low voltage cut off of the LI-PO battery.
Jan 16, 2021, 11:44 AM
Thread OP
I'm also trying some reconditioning of these Nimh cells. What I thought was a fully charged battery lasted for about 30 sec when plugged straight into an extra motor! Ran both batteries down and now charging them at 1 amp.
Jan 16, 2021, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvine
I'm also trying some reconditioning of these Nimh cells. What I thought was a fully charged battery lasted for about 30 sec when plugged straight into an extra motor! Ran both batteries down and now charging them at 1 amp.
Any battery that claims to be fully charged after a very short time charging is suspect. Some duds rapidly gain voltage, but are not storing much charge. Often, it is just one cell in the pack which gets to its full voltage very rapidly then stores no more power. In use, it discharges just as quickly.
Probably the source of the NiCad "memory" of myth and legend which doesn't get mentioned these days as NiMH production gives much more consistent cell performance.
Jan 16, 2021, 02:06 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
I have to ask -Is the charger that you are using charging until the point where it shuts off automatically and says completed with a tone alert or are you just charging by a volt meter reading?
Jan 16, 2021, 10:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
I have to ask -Is the charger that you are using charging until the point where it shuts off automatically and says completed with a tone alert or are you just charging by a volt meter reading?
It's a Hitec X1 and X4. I have both. Pretty sure these batteries are toast. After letting the charger run a couple discharge and recharge cycles they at most look to only be reaching about 1500 ma. One only looks to be holding about 300 if I am reading the screen correctly.
Jan 17, 2021, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
New set of batteries and all is good on the water. I got lost following the red herring that all this came about after the new ESC.
Jan 18, 2021, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvine
New set of batteries and all is good on the water. I got lost following the red herring that all this came about after the new ESC.
You are now officially an "Experienced Modeller". We've all been there.

Quick Reply