Jan 10, 2021, 08:41 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hobbywing 880 speed control issues

Hi guys. Odd issues with this thing. Hobbywing tech not really much help. Issue is it basically want to shut down if to much throttle is applied. Like a fail safe of some sort. Once it does this it must be shut off and restarted. Not handy in a boat... It's in an old Proboat PT boat with the stock motors. Set up with separate wiring for each motor since it has two sets of outputs. One motor is counter rotating. Using two NiMH packs in parallel. SC is programmed for these batteries. Works fine on the bench with no load but as soon as it hits the water it acts up. Having a hard time believing the motors are drawing to many amps. What am I missing?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2021, 09:12 PM
One of the...actually, THE primary reason I dislike HW so much is their POOR customer service & tech support.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Jan 11, 2021, 04:39 AM
I've had past problems like that with other speed controls. Never could reproduce it on the bench or even at the pool side after recovery.
Eventually did a refit of both ESC (different make) and battery (thinking it might have been going into a brown-out mode). Changing one thing at a time would have been more scientific, but I didn't want to have to do the recovery again.
My ESCs particular problem was that to wake up, it had to see a couple of seconds of throttle neutral, not easy with a ratchet stick. Possibly a low voltage dip put it into a condition that could only be resolved by a full power off.
Jan 11, 2021, 11:11 AM

glgirvin

Hi Salvine, I don't if you the same problem I have had in the past with my Corvette but I will tell you what happened. With the nimh batteries, it would shut down every time I went full throttle. I would pull it back and it would start up again. I changed to lipos and have never had it happen again. If your esc is set with the low voltage cut off enabled, it is probably doing what it is supposed to do. At full throttle, you may be drawing down the battery too fast and shutting down the esc. If you can turn off the lvc function , it may solve your problem. Also check the condition of your batteries. Just remember that you can run nimh batteries down to nothing but ,not lipos.
Thank you, Gary
Jan 11, 2021, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, I'll look into that low voltage cutoff. This is the first programmable ESC I have used. The irony in this is I replace the old proboat esc to make it more reliable!!! I have not tried running the boat with the lipos when in the water, just on the bench. Seems so odd that the load would be that great when in the water as it's not true high speed boat. Looks like the load is just at the limit of whatever is cutting thing off.
Jan 11, 2021, 02:36 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
The 880 has 15 programmable features listed in the manual that comes with it. Program it step by step . I had problems until a a friend with a programming reader set mine up . No problems afterwards.
Jan 11, 2021, 03:05 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Yes to all of the above-that ESC defaults to Lipo protection if you don't program it correctly-and will give you exactly the symptom you describe. Invest in a program card...it will make your day

I do not know the extent of your shop and charging equipment but if you don't have a battery charger that can sense "Peak" or a minute drop off of the charging rate on a NiMH pack you might not be fully charging your battery-even though that a volt meter says you have the volts...you might not have the amps to overcome a ESC set for LVCO.
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Jan 11, 2021 at 03:26 PM.
Jan 11, 2021, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
I have the program card but i did not remove the low voltage cutoff. I'll give it a try.
Jan 11, 2021, 05:07 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
How about charging those NiMHs..are you using a real charger or one of those plug in the wall chargers with the red LED on it? It could make a BIG difference.
Jan 11, 2021, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
Its a real one. it does plug into a wall though...
Jan 11, 2021, 07:26 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Lol-Touche- ah but post #1 where you stated " SC is programmed for these batteries." was not really so was it?... Hope all is back on track ...send pictures when you get some liquid water, we'd love to see the boat!-BG
Jan 11, 2021, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
waiting...
Jan 11, 2021, 08:09 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
great shot! it would have been in the top 10 in the RCG photo contest last July..

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-The-Winner-Is

or better!
Jan 11, 2021, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Bob. Is your MK V a kit?
Jan 12, 2021, 06:29 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
its not.. its all scratch built -the plans , hull and each and every accessory. When you get a chance check it out there's some good tips there https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Craft-in-1-24

Thanks for asking-BG

Quick Reply