to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2021, 06:49 PM
Brushfire
Jan 10, 2021, 08:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomaster
Brushfire
Looks like but one of my friends check the Brushfire plans and he said is different.
Jan 10, 2021, 08:19 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafy13bt
Looks like but one of my friends check the Brushfire plans and he said is different.
Here is a link to the Brushfire plan on OuterZone. You can check for yourself. I think it looks pretty close to the Brushfire. There may have been some really minor differences like the top of the vertical fin.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=12374
Jan 10, 2021, 08:46 PM
Looks like someone spent a lot of effort with the building.

Mike
Jan 10, 2021, 08:49 PM
The tail is smaller but sure does look like a Brushfire.
Jan 10, 2021, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
Here is a link to the Brushfire plan on OuterZone. You can check for yourself. I think it looks pretty close to the Brushfire. There may have been some really minor differences like the top of the vertical fin.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=12374
Thanks.
Jan 10, 2021, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
Looks like someone spent a lot of effort with the building.

Mike
Its a good looking well built plane, that's what it is.
Jan 11, 2021, 01:54 AM
DavidsPlanes
Fuse and vertical are a Brushfire.

Flying surfaces appear to be slightly different than the original plans. In particular, the wing doesn’t have the pronounced double TE angle : straight on the “flaps” section and swept back on the ailerons section. Maybe the photos are just misleading in this respect.

Wing and stab tips also don’t conform to plans as these are simply flat balsa sheets lacking the rounded tips of the model depicted.

David
Jan 11, 2021, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia
Fuse and vertical are a Brushfire.

Flying surfaces appear to be slightly different than the original plans. In particular, the wing doesn’t have the pronounced double TE angle : straight on the “flaps” section and swept back on the ailerons section. Maybe the photos are just misleading in this respect.

Wing and stab tips also don’t conform to plans as these are simply flat balsa sheets lacking the rounded tips of the model depicted.

David
I think its is a Brushfire throughout, with tip blocks added and contoured in the usual "classic" tradition of other pattern designs of the period.

I do believe that the trailing edge, in what would be the flaps (not used here) section IS straight (best seen in the last photo of wing bottom side up). The visual throw-off comes from the fact that the cores seem to have been cut with the back sweep all the way from root to tip, and then the trailing edge aileron (fixed flap) stock was glued and sanded to a straight (no sweep) TE angle. Notice the trapezoidal shape of what would be the flaps, to convert the sweep of the cores to a straight trailing edge when accounting for that whole section of the wing as a whole. As designed, the Brushfire wing's double cut is supposed to be done on the core itself, with the straight TE cut set further foward towards the front (chordwise), and the balsa stock used for the flaps (or in this case fixed trailing edge) would be rectangular when viewed from the top or bottom, not trapezoidal, and would have a MUCH bigger chord than the ailerons (take a peek at the plan to see this).

So... (phew) to summarize... A Brushfire with two minor alterations... the way the straight trailing edge in what would normally be the flaps area was achieved, and the addition of contoured tip blocks. Edit: Oh yeah, one more mod... the probe shown on the plan on top of the vertical fin was left out.
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Jan 11, 2021 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Typo
Jan 11, 2021, 08:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
I think its is a Brushfire throughout, with tip blocks added and contoured in the usual "classic" tradition of other pattern designs of the period.

I do believe that the trailing edge, in what would be the flaps (not used here) section IS straight (best seen in the last photo of wing bottom side up). The visual throw-off comes from the fact that the cores seem to have been cut with the back sweep all the way from root to tip, and then the trailing edge aileron (fixed flap) stock was glued and sanded to a straight (no sweep) TE angle. Notice the trapezoidal shape of what would be the flaps, to convert the sweep of the cores to a straight trailing edge when accounting for that whole section of the wing as a whole. As designed, the Brushfire wing's double cut is supposed to be done on the core itself, with the straight TE cut set further foward towards the front (chordwise), and the balsa stock used for the flaps (or in this case fixed trailing edge) would be rectangular when viewed from the top or bottom, not trapezoidal, and would have a MUCH bigger chord than the ailerons (take a peek at the plan to see this).

So... (phew) to summarize... A Brushfire with two minor alterations... the way the straight trailing edge in what would normally be the flaps area was achieved, and the addition of contoured tip blocks. Edit: Oh yeah, one more mod... the probe shown on the plan on top of the vertical fin was left out.
Thank you.
Jan 11, 2021, 09:17 AM
DavidsPlanes
RCY,

Yes I realized that too when I saw the last wing photo but it struck me that the angle at the flap/aileron junction where the sweep back commences looked reduced compared to plans. However, it’s just an impression from a photo and hard to confirm unless compared to the plan. It may well match planform wise as you suggest.

Another aspect that would have to be confirmed is whether the airfoils used are the original rather thick foils of the original. Whether altering this stops making the model a Brushfire or not is the subject of debate. In my opinion it would not and I’d continue considering the model a Brushfire but I’m less of a purist than many classic builders.

Regardless, it appears to be a very nicely built model.

David
Jan 13, 2021, 10:22 AM
80`s COBRA banshee

Ha got ya!

My father built one 30 years ago
Last edited by Louis D; Jan 13, 2021 at 10:22 AM. Reason: timmimng
Jan 13, 2021, 01:34 PM
PhoenixFlyer

Brushfires

Seek and Find.
Jan 13, 2021, 02:29 PM
Last pic is of an EU-1