Jan 10, 2021, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Big Foiler build

I started this over in the Giant Scale section, but I think it will be better off here.

This will be a plans build of the Big Foiler, a design from the early 90s. This will have an 81" wingspan, and a Tartan 44cc twin for power. It would seem to be a rare bird, because I haven't been able to find much info about it, and nobody has replied to my question in the Giant Scale section.

The plane is described as sport/pattern, and has a symmetrical airfoil, with the wing, horizontal and engine all on the fuselage centerline. The name comes from the fact that the fuselage is shaped just like the wing's airfoil, both in side view and plan view.

The plans showed up in my mailbox yesterday, so I got started right away.

First, I laminated up some 3/16" stock to make the 3/8" sticks for the tail surfaces. Next I cut out the fuse sides from my supply of "lite ply" that I got from Lowes for free.

This morning I cut all of the sticks for the tail surfaces, and will glue it all up later today. Finally, I cut all of the fuse formers from the lite ply sheet.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2021, 06:12 PM
I will follow along. I’ve got these plans as well. Always thought this would fly well. The in-line wing, tail, and thrust line good luck on your build
Jan 10, 2021, 08:35 PM
I am following. I got the plans a couple months ago. I may never build it....but you never know. Glad to see it being built.

I do believe that I had the plans sized to 72" wingspan. I am afraid of the big ones.
Jan 10, 2021, 09:14 PM
Thread OP
I'm more afraid of the smaller ones myself!
Jan 10, 2021, 09:17 PM
Thread OP
A bit more progress to report today. The tail surfaces are all glued up, with hinge blocks in place. The tail wheel on this design is captive in the bottom of the rudder, held in place by a couple of plates of carbon fiber. I spun the wheel out of 3/8" birch ply, and faced it with thin CA to harden it. Finally I made up an engine spacing block to get the right location. The block was faced with a carbon fiber plate.
Jan 10, 2021, 09:32 PM
I wonder what kind of stress that will put on the rudder hinges
Jan 10, 2021, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
I had considered that before. I'm using the big Robart hinges, and I think they'll be okay. With the power I'm using, I can't imagine the tail being on the ground for long, and besides, I fly on a grass field.
Jan 10, 2021, 10:05 PM
subscribed
Jan 11, 2021, 12:34 AM
looking good...where do you buy the carbon material you are using
Jan 11, 2021, 12:49 AM
Thread OP
The carbon plate came from a clubmate leaving the hobby. He said it was a GE product. The stuff is 1/16" thick, 6" squares.
Jan 11, 2021, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJeff View Post
I had considered that before. I'm using the big Robart hinges, and I think they'll be okay. With the power I'm using, I can't imagine the tail being on the ground for long, and besides, I fly on a grass field.
I've had several Robart hinges come loose. Vibration kills them.
Jan 11, 2021, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
I'll have to keep a close eye on the hinges then!
Jan 11, 2021, 11:51 PM
ive never had a hinge point come loose....loose from the actual pivot point or loose from where its glued?? been using gorilla glue (foaming type) never a problem yet...
Jan 12, 2021, 12:39 AM
Thread OP
I use Robarts exclusively, glue them in with Gorilla Glue, and I have never had one go bad or come loose either. I will keep an eye on them just in case.
Jan 12, 2021, 06:41 AM
I use epoxy. But will have to try gorilla glue. I’ve never had one fail, just come loose.

Quick Reply