Jan 10, 2021, 05:24 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Dashware for Flight Controller Software

I had looked at Dashware a while back but it seemed like a lot of work. More recently, I was inspired by videos from Flynn203 and Painless360 to take another look. I was disappointed to find that whilst Atx_Heli has done a lot of work to get things going, Ardupilot was still not very well supported.

To this end, I have made versions of a number of the stock Dashware gauges that now work in Ardupilot. Some of the attached gauges already worked with Ardupilot, others needed altering, and I've made some others in both KPH and MPH versions. I've also made some in both airspeed and groundspeed versions.

I will add these files to the Github repository shortly.
https://github.com/Hwurzburg/ArduPilot_Dashware

To install the gauges, you will need to take the following steps (assumes Windows 10 install):

1. Install Dashware
2. Make back up copies of the following folders (location may vary depending on your install)
C:\Users\*Your user name*\Documents\DashWare\DataProfiles
C:\Users\*Your user name*\Documents\DashWare\Gauges
3. Replace both these folders with the ones I have attached below

When you run Dashware you should now have access to all the new gauges. If you want to add any of the old gauges, copy them from your backup folder (you did back up those folders, right?) and paste them into your 'gauges' folder.

Here's a video demonstrating a few of the gauges. Bit of a breezy day, made for an easy takeoff, but an interesting landing.

Dashware Ardupilot Gauges Demo (7 min 53 sec)
Last edited by Ben Nachie; Jan 12, 2021 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Updated title to include all flight control software types and clarify folder location
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2021, 06:10 AM
Hi Richard - are you restricting this to AP I can't use Arduplane at the moment since I only fly DJI FPV and there's no stable release to support it yet. So iNav for me at the moment, but once you have a txt file, the principle is the same.

Here's a small binnacle I worked on yesterday.
More custom gauges - small binnacle (0 min 52 sec)
Jan 10, 2021, 06:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn203
Hi Richard - are you restricting this to AP I can't use Arduplane at the moment since I only fly DJI FPV and there's no stable release to support it yet. So iNav for me at the moment, but once you have a txt file, the principle is the same.

Here's a small binnacle I worked on yesterday.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbvd...ature=youtu.be
I've updated the title to be all-inclusive!

Neat binnacle! Are you willing to post the files for that? I'll convert it for Ardupilot.
Jan 10, 2021, 07:11 AM
Atx_Heli pointed me to the code for creating Distance to Home columns. The formula is for Ardupilot csv, but not having any luck so far using it for iNav csv. Have you used it Richard?

Distance from Home – Atx_Heli
Since ArduPilot does not provide this as a logged value, once you have created the .CSV file, you will need to add a column next to the GPS Lat/Lon column labeled "Home_Dist" and at the first row with a value, add something like this for the Home_Dist calculation for row 18, with GPS Lat and Lon in columns H and I,and home value in row 8,for example:
=IF (I18 = "", "",ACOS( SIN($H$8*PI()/180)*SIN(H18*PI()/180) + COS($H$8*PI()/180)*COS(H18*PI()/180)*COS(I18*PI()/180-$I$8*PI()/180) ) * 6371000)
where the home lat long is in H8/I8 (or change to whatever row has the home gps value after lock) and then fill the column downward with this formula in order to compute each GPS entry into a distance (in meters) from home. Note: you wont see this formula in the example file, since its already been converted back to CSV.
Jan 10, 2021, 08:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Atx_Heli pointed me to the code for creating Distance to Home columns. The formula is for Ardupilot csv, but not having any luck so far using it for iNav csv. Have you used it Richard?

Distance from Home – Atx_Heli
Since ArduPilot does not provide this as a logged value, once you have created the .CSV file, you will need to add a column next to the GPS Lat/Lon column labeled "Home_Dist" and at the first row with a value, add something like this for the Home_Dist calculation for row 18, with GPS Lat and Lon in columns H and I,and home value in row 8,for example:
=IF (I18 = "", "",ACOS( SIN($H$8*PI()/180)*SIN(H18*PI()/180) + COS($H$8*PI()/180)*COS(H18*PI()/180)*COS(I18*PI()/180-$I$8*PI()/180) ) * 6371000)
where the home lat long is in H8/I8 (or change to whatever row has the home gps value after lock) and then fill the column downward with this formula in order to compute each GPS entry into a distance (in meters) from home. Note: you wont see this formula in the example file, since its already been converted back to CSV.
No, I haven't tried it yet, I just glanced at it, I was concentrating on getting as many gauges converted as I could. I'll take a proper look when I get a chance though.
Jan 10, 2021, 09:33 AM
Ok, I'm in. I won't be contributing much since I'm very much playing catch-up at the moment but my recent building frenzy is now complete and I have lots of spare time to get into this.
Jan 10, 2021, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
Here's a few more matching gauges. Ammeter, and a few voltmeters in different ranges.
Jan 10, 2021, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianda217
Ok, I'm in. I won't be contributing much since I'm very much playing catch-up at the moment but my recent building frenzy is now complete and I have lots of spare time to get into this.
Howdo Ian - a period nacelle for that Fokker you just finished, perhaps..
Jan 10, 2021, 11:47 AM
Distance from Home from iNav telemetry

Managed to get a derived value for Distance from Home from the GPS coordinates. Not tested on a gauge, but I have what looks like sensible values in the csv file. 3D distance should be that value + BaroAlt (cm), I would say.
Last edited by Flynn203; Jan 10, 2021 at 12:15 PM.
Jan 10, 2021, 04:44 PM
Ben, Thank you very much...
Jan 10, 2021, 07:04 PM
Last week I started playing with Dashware again with iNav. I loosely followed this guide (in German?) because I want to use openTX telemetry logs from iNav for my OSD info instead of black box.
Tutorial: OpenTX Logs in Dashware | Telemetrie OSD im HD Video (29 min 3 sec)

The main point of it is that the author has created a macro that runs in google docs (Google Sheets) that performs a few functions on the csv, the macro can be download from his video description. I don't know if my telemetry log column order and column names are dependent on iNav or crossfire or if they are universal in how OpenTX records telemetry. For all I know the logs would look different in Betaflight or with a different receiver type like FrSky R9. The script splits the GPS data that is in one column into two columns and also does some distance to home, total distance COS magic.

These are the notes I took while running through the first time:
  1. Open csv in google docs move columns around date, time gps, altm, sats go in order in starting with column A (you have to move them yourself)
  2. In scripts Tools copy and paste Snappy's macro. New function: Run DashWare OpenTX Import and then Calculate Distance functions (makes more sense when you watch the video)

When you are done, Column W header name is really rXBt(V) but the script has changed the name to Speed. In dashware open the csv file with Snappy's template. He provided a gauge template as well but I ended up modifying it to display more fields and in a more simple way.
Jan 10, 2021, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nachie
Here's a few more matching gauges. Ammeter, and a few voltmeters in different ranges.
thank you Ben -
I got MP (Version 1.3.74 built 1.3.7563.27684 downloaded ca. Oct 2020) to create the CSV File, exporting GPS;BAt;BARO;ARSP;AETR;ATT;RSSI
I could read the file by DASHWARE and GPS data is working, however the other data like Airspeed, Bat data, etc are missing. I can import your gauges, but they don't read any data.
Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Thanks, Rainer
Jan 10, 2021, 08:19 PM
Just fyi...I will be updating the ArduPilot Dashware repo shortly....we need two different data profiles now...one for Stable code and one for current "latest" code (the development branch that will become Stable4.1 releases of ArduPilot in a few months)...the logging names changed from current Stable to what they will be in the next release. My repo reflects the next release. I will create two different profiles: ArduPilot(4.1) which what is there now.. and ArduPilot(pre4.1) which is appropriate for logs using present Stable release of the code (what it was before I "fixed" it)
Jan 11, 2021, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
Last week I started playing with Dashware again with iNav. I loosely followed this guide (in German?) because I want to use openTX telemetry logs from iNav for my OSD info instead of black box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UY5R80u8QE

The main point of it is that the author has created a macro that runs in google docs (Google Sheets) that performs a few functions on the csv, the macro can be download from his video description. I don't know if my telemetry log column order and column names are dependent on iNav or crossfire or if they are universal in how OpenTX records telemetry. For all I know the logs would look different in Betaflight or with a different receiver type like FrSky R9. The script splits the GPS data that is in one column into two columns and also does some distance to home, total distance COS magic.

These are the notes I took while running through the first time:
  1. Open csv in google docs move columns around date, time gps, altm, sats go in order in starting with column A (you have to move them yourself)
  2. In scripts Tools copy and paste Snappy's macro. New function: Run DashWare OpenTX Import and then Calculate Distance functions (makes more sense when you watch the video)

When you are done, Column W header name is really rXBt(V) but the script has changed the name to Speed. In dashware open the csv file with Snappy's template. He provided a gauge template as well but I ended up modifying it to display more fields and in a more simple way.
I see you have Home Distance displayed Steve - does that value array come from Opentx?
Jan 11, 2021, 10:11 AM
Quote:
I see you have Home Distance displayed Steve - does that value array come from Opentx?
This is calculated when formatting .csv file with Snappy FPV script.

Quick Reply