Apr 16, 2002, 10:43 PM
Thread OP

Newbie looking for radio suggestions

Ok Ive had my fun with ground vechicles, ie boats and cars. Now im looking for some airplane action. I plans to get the GWS Tigermoth as my first plane.
First of all though just like cars and boats Im looking for a good radio to last me when i start upgrading to bigger and better planes.
I plan to stay with electric planes, so will a good 4 channel radio do or should i get one with more channels. Also what is everybodys pick for a radio? So far ive looked a the JR and Hitec ones. Thanks for you help.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2002, 11:19 PM
I have a JR xp652 (just got discontinued for the xp662 with a few changes but the same price) and love it to death but it is a little pricey, The Hitec Flash 5 is a great radio with all the options you will need but programming is a little more confusing than my JR is. Also what I love about the JR is the RX is so much smaller than the Hitec 555 and workes just as well for range and dependabilaty as the Hites 555. Both are great radios and the Hitec price is unbeatable but like you said I would go with a good radio you won't grow out of any time soon, I got a basic 4ch when I started then sold it and got the JR. If I got the good one first I would have spent less in the long run.

Dauntae
Apr 17, 2002, 07:38 AM
Rehab is for quitters
I have a Hitec Flash 5. Great radio for the cost. For rx's, the Hitec 555 is a great item. 1500 feet or better range. I also like
the Cirrus 4 channel rx. Rated at 1000 feet. You can't beat the price for it. At $20, its a steal. I use one in my E-Plane.

Dave...
Apr 17, 2002, 02:26 PM
I have to agreee with Dave only way to go is with the Hitec flash 5, it will grow with you and the price is right
Apr 17, 2002, 04:58 PM
Rod
Rod
I have 2- Hitec Flash 5's now and am very happy with them. The 555 is a great receiver. I am also using 2 - FMA Extreme 5 receivers anmd find them very reliable. They a lighter than the 555 and seem to work just as well. I have one in my Embat which is a relatively fast flier, and performance of the FMA Extreme 5 has been excellant. I also use a Futaba radio but like the smaller sizes of the Hitec equipment.
Apr 17, 2002, 05:00 PM
Lets crash and go home
Personally I love my JR652, although they have discontinued it I would buy a 662 in a heart beat. This radio can do anything, it has ran my helicopter and can run alot of things on a plane, you will be glad you got a 6 channel radio once you get into airplanes more because there are endless posibilities as to what you can install in an airplane; gears, JATO, flaps, spoilers, lights, bombdrops, missiles....etc.
Apr 20, 2002, 01:56 PM
jak
jak
I like the Cockpit MM. 9 Model memories, and I can dump the rest to the computer via the interface. You can order the Radio Only, and then add your normal Hitec 555 gear - the only recievers I use. and Servos.
I also have a Futaba 6XA - that I truely Love, It is a no brainer via setup and rock solid.

Note: The Cockpit MM can be sent in to be configured for both positive (Airtronics Radios) and Negative (Futaba, Hitec) radios, switch can be installed. I've done this, So I can use it will all my neg shift gear.
Apr 20, 2002, 07:18 PM
Clinger, MAGA
I've got the Hitec Laser 6. For a 'simple' non computer radio it seems to be working pretty good. Been using the TX with my scooter and now will be using with my GWS Zero. Have yet to use the dual rates or channels 5 and 6; but it's there if I need it (like channel 5 for retracts??).

Another 555 Rx just arrived for the Zero, as my other 555 Rx is working great in the scooter and I want to continue to fly it. Had problems with the Feather Rx.
Apr 24, 2002, 10:52 AM
Lazy sob
Hitec flash 5- go for it!
Apr 24, 2002, 11:23 AM
Just an average RC'er
You'll find as many opinions on this as there are radios out there, everyone always thinks theirs is the best (and very likely that is true for each individual). When buying a radio you have to make some decisions. 1. How much money do you have to spend?: If your budget is endless why not get the best (Futaba 9Z or JR10X) 2. How serious are you about the hobby?: If your just seeing if you like airplanes then by all means buy something cheap so you won't be out if for some odd reason airplanes are not for you. However if you really think that you'll stay in the hobby then it behoves you to buy the best you can so that you can "fire and forget" and not have to worry about your radio for many years to come, this is both convenient and money saving. 3. What features do you need?: Almost any TX will fly the tigermoth, but you'd really be surprised at how many of the advance features you use if you had them.

Keep in mind that the TX is one of the few items that you will use everytime you fly no matter what (the only other thing that this is true of is you battery charger). That means that if you have a cheap TX then you ALWAYS will be flying with cheap equipment. It's really worth spending extra money on and a computer radio will truely make your flying experiance better, computer radios are WELL worth the price.

That said here are my recomendations:

Just trying things out: Hitec Focus III FM, a great radio with elevon mixing and servo reversing, this is what I started out with.

You know you want to stay in the hobby, but don't have a lot of money to spend: Hitec Flash 5, it has a lot of features for the price and breaks through the 4 channel "trap". Will get your feet wet in computer radios.

You know you want to stay in the hobby, and have a little more money to spend on something that you probabaly will never need to replace: Hands down the Futaba 9C, there used to be a big debate on between Futaba 8UA and the JR8103 camps, however with the new Futaba 9C that debate is over. It offers unsurpased programming ablility as well as EASY programing and a nice fit to the hand. This radio does EVERYTHING and makes the RC experiance much more fun... plus it looks cool.

So answer those questions and pick your radio.
Apr 24, 2002, 11:24 AM
the flash 5x and futaba 6xa are pretty good mid range computer radios. I went for the Hitec Flash 5X, glider package, since I do not know what to do with those big receiver, standard servos that come with the Futaba TX, if I bought it. The Flash 5x with 555 RX and HS 81s are really good and usable. I wish that they sale the Futaba 6xa alone or with better RX and servos in the package. Can't go wrong with either. Been happy with Flash 5x
Apr 24, 2002, 07:37 PM
I've got a Hitec Flash 5X and really like it.I would go with at least 5 channels on whatever radio you decide(room to grow and easier to sell).BTW the Tiger Moth is a great little flyer
steve
Apr 25, 2002, 09:18 PM
What about the Hitec Flash 4SX (either the regular version or the glider version with smaller tx/servos)?

Although, the Flash 5 has more features, are they really needed for someone starting new, and how likely is it that the additional features will be used on future models? I understand that it is difficult to tell without the cystal ball, but a 4 channel should be good for a very large portion of the numerous models available today.
Apr 26, 2002, 07:39 AM
Just an average RC'er
re: 4 channel vs. 5 channel.

A lot of people seem to be moving from the Tigermoth to the Zero. The Zero has a retract option that requires a 5th channel.

Quick Reply