Aug 04, 2005, 12:16 PM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm1
Well I kid you not. I was just sitting at my desk and had just punched in the USPS tracking # for my Hacker Motor when I hear the beep of a small horn outside ... IT'S THE MAIL LADY WITH THE HACKER !

Man am I ready now or what. I did not expect this motor until next week as I had just mailed my check to SA on Friday of last week in the afternoon.

Thanks SA for the very quick turn around. May have the Cap up early next week now !!

Mike
Great dealing there Mike....man do you have efficient mail service over in your part of the Woods or what?

Glad you have the power system...it looks sweet!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2005, 11:21 PM
Warbird crazy!
Wow Mike, by next weekend we could have some awesome Cap 3D vids . Can't believe how much you have accomplished in less than a year !

John and Christo
Aug 06, 2005, 10:10 AM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rc
Wow Mike, by next weekend we could have some awesome Cap 3D vids . Can't believe how much you have accomplished in less than a year !

John and Christo
Not sure my wife would call it an "accomplishment" ?!?
Aug 07, 2005, 09:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rc
Wow Mike, by next weekend we could have some awesome Cap 3D vids .

John and Christo
Well not real sure about the "next weekend" part. Even though I have finished most of the covering ( I only lack the bottom - left it undone because it will make it easier to install the radio gear) and have completed the canopy, decals, etc. I think the Cowling will hold me up.

First of all, I got carried away with the glue. I got lulled into thinking that "Testers none toxic glue" ment glue that will not melt plastic. Wrong . I have fought with this for 2 days now, It has been salvaged, but the cowl will definately be the least attractive part of the model. Melting plastic can be slowed and stopped by placing the part in the freezer for 12-24 hrs.

There is some good info in the Cap part 4 & 5 thread on gluing the cowl together. While I loosely followed these suggestion, I just used too much glue.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=8#post4131723

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...light=cowling+

I would guess it will be flight ready by next weekend, but I am not going to push it. I would like to have it in the air no later than a week from tuesday.

Mike
Aug 09, 2005, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Got most of the problems worked out with the cowling. Ended up using Wood Filler - yes thats right, to fill the seam and it has turned out fairly good.
Aug 09, 2005, 12:35 PM
Thread OP

Now on to Bigger things - or liter as the case may be

Complete the Cap Airframe and all covering except the bottom (for install of electronics). With all surfaces hinged, tail wheel bracket installed, etc, Went to the United States Post Office last night to use their scales.

Covered Fuse with:...............................8.7 oz
- Blind Nuts installed
- Tail Wheel bracket
- Battery hatch and 2 magnets
- epoxy/ply reinforced motor mount
- No wheels/Canopy/Cowel
- No servos
- Bottome not covered

Canopy............................................ .. .9 oz
Cowling........................................... ... 1.8 oz
Wing no servos.................................... 6.2 oz
LG block and Wheels (no wheel pants) .... 2 oz

Total Empty Weight............................................ ......... 19.6 oz

Hacker A30-10XL with mount screws....... 6.4 oz
Hacker A30 prop adaptor and spinner....... 1 oz

Castle Creations Pheinox 45 ESC............. 1.4 oz
HiTec 555 RX...................................... .81 oz
HS-81MG........................................... 2.8 oz
3s2p Worley Lipo................................ 12.5 oz
Misc parts and connectors (est.)........... 1.5 oz

Total Ready to Fly Weight............................................ . 46.01 oz

That ought to do it ! Hope to have it in the air tomorrow

Mike
Aug 09, 2005, 12:46 PM
Account closed
Lets say it will tip that digital scale at your local Post Office at 50 oz. total flight weight....that's a hair above 3 lbs. like the Great Planes Super Sportster (48 inch wing span) EP!

However, you have 50 inches and more wing area. Plus, a much more powerful (Power to Weight) brushless motor.

You will have lots of fun with this model!
Aug 10, 2005, 07:06 AM
Hi Mike...........Great job so far!! What props are you planning on testing with that hacker??

Doug
Aug 10, 2005, 07:18 AM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalanced prop
Hi Mike...........Great job so far!! What props are you planning on testing with that hacker??

Doug
Doug,

I received a PM from Mike indicating that the Hacker A30-10XL did not feel it had a greater punch as that of the trusty Endoplasma 16-turn Brushed Buggy motor....perhaps Mike does not realize that the outrunners are smoother in operation as those inrunners. They seem to be quiet and smooth and therefore may appear that it does not have enough power...

Mike,

Get yourself....buy or borrow a Hobby Tach and Watt Meter and check out the Prop RPMs to see what you have exactly. My heavy World Models Sky Raider MACH-II with the "new" (yes, I went to the dark side - brushless) Himax HA3618-3033 and swinging the APC "E" 11 X 8.5 with 9-round cells, GP-3300mAH, Ni-MH's allow for at least 8,003 RPMs at the Propeller. This measurement was performed with a 3/4 charged pack and I am sure that the actual Prop RPMs are better than 8,300 RPMs at the prop. with a full charged 9-cell pack. Recall that my MACH-II tips the digital scale at a little over 4-1/2 lbs.

Therefore, measure that Hacker A30-10XL with the prop of your choice and those 9-cells or Li-POLYs with a Watt meter and a hobby TACH to see what you are actually getting. Anything with at least a 11 or 12 inch prop. and close to 8,000 RPMs would make that Cap fly just great!

Carlos
Aug 10, 2005, 07:35 AM
Account closed
Recall arenablimp post at posting #42

Now for the Hacker:
A30-10XL 6.4oz

Power by Apogee 2480 3S2P (4960mAh) at top of charge.

13x8 7600rpm 10.1v 42A 430w
12x6 8400rpm 10.7v 32A 345w
Last edited by guapoman2000; Aug 10, 2005 at 07:45 AM.
Aug 10, 2005, 10:48 AM
Thread OP
My bad, The Hacker has much more thrust/power than the Endo. As carlos noted, it is just quiter and smoother as direct drive.
Aug 10, 2005, 11:35 AM
Thread OP
First flight was as good as I could have expected. The plane handled very well and needed little or not trim. This is much more plane than I have ever flown and took some getting use too.

First flight I flew a lipo battery that was long and so it was hard to get the CG. I flew it a little tail heavy. Second flight I used 9 round cells, GP3700 and it flew more like what I was use to. track a little cleaner. I would guess because CG was favoring nose heavy plus the add 10 oz.

But land was easier and more forgiving with the Lipo. I would guess the plane weighed around 46-48 with the Lipo.

3rd flight I decided to do some mild acro. Loops even on low rates (15 degrees) were tight and very straight. Hammer head/wing overs were nice.

It started making a noise in the third flight. motor would all the sudden just kick or lose power and then power back up. Did not seem to be getting hits, no other surface was being effected. Landed and the ESC was very hot after about 5 minutes. Do not know if this is what was making it drop power suddenly, but will not fly it again until I check with Castle Creations.

Current set up is a Hacker A30-10xl / CC Pheonix 45 / 12x6 prop / 3s2p 4100 Lipo.

Here are some flight line pics.

Mike
Aug 10, 2005, 11:42 AM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm1
It started making a noise in the third flight. motor would all the sudden just kick or lose power and then power back up. Did not seem to be getting hits, no other surface was being effected. Landed and the ESC was very hot after about 5 minutes. Do not know if this is what was making it drop power suddenly, but will not fly it again until I check with Castle Creations.

Current set up is a Hacker A30-10xl / CC Pheonix 45 / 12x6 prop / 3s2p 4100 Lipo.

Here are some flight line pics.

Mike
Mike,

Becareful....did you contact Castle Creations or Hacker about the timing issue? If not then, your chip set "BEC" might get overheated and you may lose your model as the worse case. I am sure the PHX-45 does not have the same problems as the PHX-25 as far as operating small, low Kv, Outrunner brushless motors but, you should contact them just in case.

Carlos
Aug 10, 2005, 10:24 PM
Warbird crazy!
Major congrats Mike on the maiden. She is a beaut!

What a feeling that must be to have your first kit look and fly like that . Looks like the wing area will handle quite a weight swing.

I'm sure you will get the ESC problem sorted out and be back in the air in no time. Great job .

John and Christo
Aug 11, 2005, 07:08 AM
Way to go Mike!! Maiden flight and the plane is OK BTW the plane looks GREAT!

On your third flight, what battery pack were you using? Any chance you were hitting LVC? Is your LVC set for hard or soft cutoff. All my CC 45s get pretty hot in the air but they have never kicked off unless they are getting to LVC.

Congrats again!!!!!

Doug
Last edited by unbalanced prop; Aug 11, 2005 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply