New Spektrum Generation 2 Smart Chargers and Batteries

These new Generation 2 Spektrum Smart Batteries and Chargers are packed with tech to make charging and using your batteries simpler and safer.

Splash

The Next Generation of Smart Batteries and Chargers is Here

The advantage of innovative, hassle-free Smart battery and charging technology reach new levels with Smart Generation 2. You can charge and balance G2 LiPo packs through one Smart connection – balancing information uploads automatically to G2 chargers through the same unique IC data wire that carries the battery’s charging parameters. No separate balance lead is needed! With the new G2 Auto Charge feature, accurate charging begins the instant you plug in the pack. G2 chargers also include an improved user interface, charge time remaining clock and IC3 and IC5 output ports – no separate adapter needed to charge any Spektrum Smart battery. Smart G2 30C and 50C LiPo batteries have thicker metal side plates for improved heat dissipation and cell protection and come programmed for faster auto-discharge to a safe 3.9V storage voltage.

Smart G2 LiPos — Even Simpler and Safer to Use

Drivers and pilots enjoy even more Smart advantages when using Spektrum™ Smart G2 30C/50C LiPo batteries to power their vehicle or aircraft. New “Generation 2” features make these powerful LiPo packs even simpler and safer to use together with your Smart charger. For example, Spektrum™ Smart G2 technology makes it much easier to balance charge your LiPo batteries. Balancing information travels through the unique data wire of each Smart G2 battery’s innovative IC3® or IC5® connector. As a result, only a single connection is needed — no separate balance lead is required.

Smart G2 batteries come from the factory programmed to discharge automatically to a safe storage voltage of 3.90V after 72 hours of inactivity. The benefits include longer battery life, better performance over the life of the pack, and the peace of mind that comes from knowing your Smart battery is maintenance-free. You can change the battery's Auto Storage settings based on your own preferences. G2 batteries also offer a storage discharge rate that’s three times faster than the previous G1 Smart batteries. Smart G2 30C soft-case LiPo packs also include thicker internal metal side plates. These plates improve heat dissipation and provide more protection for the cells against punctures during rough landings or in similar impact-prone situations.

As with other Smart batteries, you'll never have to set your own charging preferences for a Spektrum™ Smart G2 battery until you want to. When a Smart G2 LiPo battery is connected to a Spektrum™ Smart charger, its unique charging parameters and health information upload to the charger from the battery’s integrated memory microchip. Through the charger you can view and set preferences such as charge rates, so all that’s required to charge the pack is connecting it to your Smart charger. Smart technology takes care of the rest.

Smart Generation 2 Chargers — “Smart” and State-of-the-Art

The S2200 2-channel Smart G2 AC Charger and the S1400 1-channel Smart G2 AC Charger — from the new “Generation 2” of Spektrum™ Smart electronics — brings today’s most advanced and user-friendly charging technology to RC pilots and drivers of all skill levels. The S2200 features 200W power per channel or 380W on one channel for fast charging. The S1400 delivers 400W of power to fast charge your batteries while at the field or at home. Both chargers give the ability to charge batteries on either the IC3® or IC5® integrated output ports and delivers a versatile and truly hassle-free charging experience. Generation 2 chargers works with virtually any RC battery and is backwards compatible with EC3™ and EC5™ connectors. Use it together with Smart G1 or G2 batteries and you’ll be amazed by its incredible functionality and performance.

Generation 2 Smart Chargers makes battery charging the easiest it has ever been. Its Auto Charge feature recognizes your Smart battery’s parameters, such as chemistry type and charge rate, and begins safe, correct charging automatically when the charge lead is connected. A clock on the charger’s screen counts down the time until your Smart battery is fully charged and ready to use. Balancing Smart G2 batteries is just as simple. G2 chargers will balance your Smart G2 LiPo packs through the same, single IC connection used for charging. No separate, confusing balance leads are required. Smart G2 AC Charger’s updated interface features fresh, intuitive menus, icons, and navigation tools. It’s clear, easily understandable indicators of Smart battery history and performance provide the information you need to make the best decisions about your batteries when putting gear together for a day at the field or track.

Check out the New Generation S2200 G2 Smart Charger Here

Check out the New Generation S1400 G2 Smart Charger Here

Check out the new G2 Smart Batteries Here

Last edited by Jason Cole; Jan 07, 2021 at 09:16 AM..
Jan 07, 2021, 10:39 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Posted this elsewhere, and reposting here:

I love the promise of the SMART line and own SMART batteries and a SMART charger. I also own a bunch of non-SMART batteries and multiple non-SMART chargers.

But the G2 batteries are a non-starter for me. Batteries must be chargeable on any proper LiPo charger. I'm not replacing my current field charger (which charges the G1 batteries just fine) to support new packs which are not smart enough to be chargeable on a standard LiPo charger.

It's cool tech, but you'd have been better off extending the G1 battery line (there's a ton of gaps, my last battery purchases weren't SMART solely because of the lack of small 3S/4S packs in your current line) and introducing the G2 chargers than coming out with new batteries that the majority of your customer base can't charge on at least some of their chargers.

Frankly, I'm quite disappointed in the G2 batteries. Good ideas broken by proprietary charging.
Jan 07, 2021, 10:40 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Also, check the SMART G2 FAQ here:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/dema...SZrw884khv8isU
Jan 07, 2021, 10:59 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
The G2 batteries do seem like the future though. I love the auto discharge particular. Will save lots of time and hassle from manually having to manually do that. People will likely upgrade in phases instead of all their packs at once.
Jan 07, 2021, 11:24 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
The G2 batteries do seem like the future though. I love the auto discharge particular. Will save lots of time and hassle from manually having to manually do that. People will likely upgrade in phases instead of all their packs at once.
Auto-discharge is already here with the G1 batteries. That and charge-autoconfiguration were the selling points for SMART batteries.

The G2's can self-discharge faster. G2 brings the ability for the battery to balance itself, as well as the ability to update the battery firmware.

The best feature on the G2's is no more need for balance cable extensions if running a battsafe or similar charge setup.
Jan 07, 2021, 10:19 PM
I still prefer to have a balance connector on the battery packs. Occasionally, I wind up with a battery pack that has a cell or two that are way off and balancing would take forever. So I can use a special setup to charge the low cell or cells to bring them up to be close in voltage to the other cells. Then balance charge like normal.

I have their Gen 1 charger and some Gen 1 battery packs. I see no motivating reason to spend more to upgrade yet again.
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 07, 2021 at 10:20 PM. Reason: add more info
Jan 07, 2021, 10:20 PM
Check out the G2 launch video here:
Spektrum Smart G2 Family (4 min 53 sec)
Jan 08, 2021, 10:54 AM
You can use the gen 1 charger to charge gen 2 batteries if you update your charger with the firmware update. I do hope the keep the gen 1 line around for a long time as many have already complained about losing the balance lead. They try to say they are taking the guess work out for beginners but are most new people buying $250 dollar chargers or using the wall chargers that comes with the bnf or rtr packages.

They also put thicker plates on them to make them discharge faster so not sure on the weights. They still haven’t even posted weights and size on gen 1 batteries on Horizions site.

It’s a cool Idea but traxxas has had this out for a while called IQ tech. The only thing that I saw people running into with those is the center wire unsoldering inside and leaving the battery dead.

I like the smart gen ones and will continue to buy those over these.
I’m sure these will sell, but not at the rate I think they were hoping. Go read the comments on some product videos on YouTube out there it doesn’t seem to promising for this line.
Jan 08, 2021, 12:04 PM

Old FMA Cell Pro 4 did / does the SAFE recharging of a VERY LOW cell automatically

Companies are always trying to get people to use ONLY THEIR line of things. Not good for customer. You are OWNED by the company. If they go out of business ? You are DEAD with all their products. I have seen that many times in the electronic field.

Batteries & recharging them are not complicated. Sales companies just claim that it is difficult and dangerous..
Jan 08, 2021, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowstick09
You can use the gen 1 charger to charge gen 2 batteries if you update your charger with the firmware update. I do hope the keep the gen 1 line around for a long time as many have already complained about losing the balance lead. They try to say they are taking the guess work out for beginners but are most new people buying $250 dollar chargers or using the wall chargers that comes with the bnf or rtr packages.

They also put thicker plates on them to make them discharge faster so not sure on the weights. They still haven’t even posted weights and size on gen 1 batteries on Horizions site.

It’s a cool Idea but traxxas has had this out for a while called IQ tech. The only thing that I saw people running into with those is the center wire unsoldering inside and leaving the battery dead.

I like the smart gen ones and will continue to buy those over these.
I’m sure these will sell, but not at the rate I think they were hoping. Go read the comments on some product videos on YouTube out there it doesn’t seem to promising for this line.
The Spektrum Smart Generation 1 batteries are staying in the line up. They are not going away.
Also, don't forget that Gen1 chargers can be used with Gen2 batteries.
Jan 08, 2021, 09:45 PM
In the video, he says "No confusing balance leads are required" .........It's like saying "Are you tired of making a PB&J and having to open 2 jars? We have combined Peanut Butter & Jelly in 1 jar....think how much time you will save!
Jan 09, 2021, 01:21 PM
Fire Marshall Bill
I like my balance leads. Need something to power nav lights/afterburner lights etc in some of mine, plus using any of several balance/meters I have. But I have had 3 Spektrum batteries go bad in record time because the balance leads are not secured well enough. So perhaps it is just as well Spektrum eliminate them.
Jan 09, 2021, 03:27 PM

Those battery sockets ?

What a jammed full bunch of TINY balance pins right next to a main battery terminal . OOWWWWW

Quick Reply