Jan 06, 2021, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
Question

Graupner 35A BLHeli ESC (#S3083) Update

I'm having problems updating my Graupner 35A BLHeli ESC (#S3083) using the Firmware Upgrade Suite. I continually receive the error message "Target device ID not found" when running the Speed Controller Update window. Not sure my hardware configuration is set up correctly...
Last edited by EricVonZipper; Jan 06, 2021 at 04:54 PM. Reason: model # added
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2021, 05:30 PM
Checkout the videos on our support pages:

https://www.controlhobbies.com/firmw...te-videos.html
Jan 06, 2021, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, I did look at both of the upgrade videos for the ESC's. However, I still am getting the same result.

Earlier today, I did upgrade my MZ-24 Pro, three GR-18L and two GR-12L receivers with no issues. However, I was unable to update both the Graupner 35A ESC and my Falcon 12 receivers. I followed the video instructions on your website for the ESC and the instuctions on page 32, "Starting the Slowflyer/Gyro receiver update", for the Falcon 12 Flight Controller. Not sure why I can't get those devices to update...
Last edited by EricVonZipper; Jan 06, 2021 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added further details
Jan 06, 2021, 06:56 PM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
Eric...take a look at this video from yufasa.

Falcon 12 FW upgrade
Jan 06, 2021, 07:11 PM
Thread OP
Hey Lufo!

What software is that? I looked briefly at controlhobbies.com and graupner.com and didn't see it. I've been using the Firmware Update grStudio for all my programing. Haven't seen that software before. Looks promising...

Update:

Okay, I did find the software. I'll give it a try and see what happens..

Second Update:

The Falcon 12 Flight Controller update worked like a charm!

Still working on getting the auto detect feature to work on the ESC.

Lefo, I'll keep trying and will let you know how it works out. I appreciate all your help. I'm gonna need to add you to my 'Speed Dial"!
Last edited by EricVonZipper; Jan 06, 2021 at 08:01 PM. Reason: progess update
Jan 06, 2021, 07:32 PM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
Eric ... go to the second comment down on that vid and yufasa gives a link for the software. He is also a member here and if you PM him he may be able to answer any questions about that software.

You will need to have Java Runtime installed to use this program.

Download
Jan 06, 2021, 08:57 PM
All can be found on this page:
https://www.controlhobbies.com/software-download.html
Jan 06, 2021, 09:10 PM
Thread OP
Okay. Thanks all for your replies and assistance. Still unable to get the ESC to update using either the Firmware Updater 0.9.4.1293 or the Firmware Upgrade grStudio. Not sure what my issue is but I'll keep at it... Thanks again for your support tonight!
Jan 06, 2021, 10:44 PM
How are you powering and connecting the ESC?

You need a Y cable that connects the ESC with the 2 wires coming out of the USB board.

When you start the update power the ESC for it to be recognized.

You can then select the firmware you would like to use.
Jan 06, 2021, 11:59 PM
Thread OP

ESC Update Configuration

I've powered the ESC with a 4S Lipo (2200mah battery. I attempted to configure the USB cable, PC Board, USB interface, Y-connector and ESC as depicted in the setup shown in the two speed controller update videos on your support page.

The configuration I'm using is shown in the attached photograph and listed below. What am I missing?

Thanks, Eric

***COMPUTER END***

Computer to USB (Silver) Cable
USB cable to PC Board
PC Board to Multi-colored wire adapter
Multi-colored wire adapter to PC Interface Cable (single end of harness)
PC Interface Cable (Side 1) to Side 1 of Y-Harness Adapter - PC Interface cable (Side 2) - NOT USED or CONNECTED
Single-end of Y-Harness Adapter - NOT USED or CONNECTED

ESC Main lead (3 wire lead) to Side 2 of Y-Harness
ESC Power Leads to Lipo Battery

***SPEED CONTROL END***
Last edited by EricVonZipper; Jan 07, 2021 at 12:11 AM.
Jan 07, 2021, 12:18 AM
Ok, I need to apologize. I only noticed now that this is an ESC with BLHeli firmware on it.

For this you will need to download the BLHeli Software Suite and perform the updates. The USB board should work with the BLHeli software for as far as I remember.
Jan 07, 2021, 12:29 AM
Thread OP
Okay, good. No problem. Glad to know that I'm not completely crazy... I'll take a look at the BL Heli site and see what I can do.

Thanks!
Last edited by EricVonZipper; Jan 07, 2021 at 12:34 AM.
Jan 08, 2021, 02:16 PM
Thread OP

Graupner ESC No. 13410.82

What about the Graupner 40 Amp ESC (no. 13410.82)? Should the firmware be updated in the same fashion? I can't get the update software to recognize it either. The only documentation I have for this is the Husky 1800s manual that it came with. There is no mention of firmware upgrades in that manual.
Jan 08, 2021, 02:57 PM
That ESC cannot be updated as it was not manufactured by Graupner. Those ESC usually come with ARF products that were manufactured by a third party.
Jan 08, 2021, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Okay. I understand. Again, I appreciate the help!

Eric

Quick Reply