What the Heck Wednesday - Failed Take Off

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a nice looking giant scale F4U Corsair on a grass runway failing to get safely into the air.

Splash

What the Heck Happened?

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a nice looking giant scale F4U Corsair on a grass runway failing to get safely into the air. The pilot sets up on the center of the runway and prepares for take off. I'm not sure if this was the maiden flight or not, but with the pilot walking out to the runway to get behind it for the takeoff leads me to believe it might be the first flight.

You can see he holds the elevator up to pin the tail down for steering control, but it doesn't appear he lets it relax back to neutral as the planes accelerates. The plane pitches up at likely minimum take off speed and appears to stall and torque over to the left hitting a wingtip first and slamming the nose into the ground. Extra points for the back flip to wheel landing, but what really went wrong here? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Jan 06, 2021, 09:31 AM
Stall
Jan 06, 2021, 09:33 AM
Classic taildragger mistake, not enough ground speed, too much up elevator and no right rudder at lift-off. Really sad to see that beautiful bird roll over and crash.
Jan 06, 2021, 09:49 AM
Friend of Foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by onio condor
Stall
indeed it was, been there done that. Not fun.

First word after crash........Scheisse!!!!
Latest blog entry: New Toughjets ducted fan jet
Jan 06, 2021, 09:54 AM
Horror. A fantastic Moki motor in there.
Jan 06, 2021, 10:29 AM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
There’s a video of a full size Corsair doing the same off an aircraft carrier.

RF
Jan 06, 2021, 11:14 AM
Pile-it
He ran out of talent right before take off.....
Jan 06, 2021, 11:19 AM
DFS#000178
Yet another case of more money than brains. Seems to be a big problem with these big expensive warbirds.

He held almost full up elevator the entire time. One of two things was happening.

1) He was legitimately trying to hold the tail down to build up ground speed. In this case he utterly failed at 'reading' the airplane and held the tail down way too long.

2) He was hoping that the plane had enough engine to haul itself into the air before the wing was ready to fly.

Either way, someone needs more time on an Apprentice, I think.
Jan 06, 2021, 11:27 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flyer
There’s a video of a full size Corsair doing the same off an aircraft carrier.

RF
The full-scale Corsair had nasty stall and spin characteristics. One of the fixes was a wedge-shaped block of wood on the leading edge of the right wing to 'encourage' it to stall at the same time as the left.

The Corsair at the Palm Springs Air Museum still has it on there.
Jan 06, 2021, 11:54 AM
no one mentioned that he took off with flaps. without elevator compensation that can get exciting. coupled with insufficient airspeed and insufficient aileron it's all over pretty quick. i don't think right rudder or lack of had anything to do with it.
Jan 06, 2021, 12:00 PM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterX
no one mentioned that he took off with flaps. without elevator compensation that can get exciting. coupled with insufficient airspeed and insufficient aileron it's all over pretty quick. i don't think right rudder or lack of had anything to do with it.
Very few warbirds need flaps on take off, I never use them on take off except for one very heavy seaplane I have,, he just needed to let that roll out more
Jan 06, 2021, 12:22 PM
Scott
That one looked pretty cut and dried. Didn't let it build enough speed on the ground, coupled with no rudder. Like most warbirds I will assume that it was probably on the heavy side, a lightly loaded sport plane would have probably survived that takeoff attempt.

Scott
Jan 06, 2021, 12:23 PM
AMA 537620
Prop is still good at least.
Jan 06, 2021, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterX
Poor guy. This video has been out in the public domain for quite awhile.

I'm not seeing the flaps deployed. The plane has gear doors, which provides the illusion of flaps deployed.

We don't know if plane is balanced properly. My money is on an improperly balanced plane and/or not enough airspeed. I agree with the previous comment that the tail was not allowed to come up naturally before allowing the plane to lift into the air.

Oriole.
Jan 06, 2021, 01:37 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioleRC
I'm not seeing the flaps deployed.
Oriole.
Last edited by davecee; Jan 06, 2021 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply