Jan 04, 2021, 06:57 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

RadioMaster TX16S compatibles with AS3X/SAFE receiver???

Hi,
I am returning to the hobby after a 15 yr hiatus and everything is different. I want the best bargain for the money. I was interested in this RadioMaster XT16S transmitter. But I was concerned whether it was compatible with airplanes that had the AS3X/SAFE receivers. It’s been such a long time since I’ve flown. I wasn’t a great flyer when I left 15yrs ago. I ordered a RTF plane that has the transmitter and receiver with AS3X/SAFE already installed. However as I progress to a 2nd or maybe 3rd plane, I would still like to have the AS3X receiver but I prefer the RadioMaster XT16S transmitter because of price/ features. Are they compatible to giving me the full performance including range?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2021, 12:02 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator
Hi,
I am returning to the hobby after a 15 yr hiatus and everything is different. I want the best bargain for the money. I was interested in this RadioMaster XT16S transmitter. But I was concerned whether it was compatible with airplanes that had the AS3X/SAFE receivers. It’s been such a long time since I’ve flown. I wasn’t a great flyer when I left 15yrs ago. I ordered a RTF plane that has the transmitter and receiver with AS3X/SAFE already installed. However as I progress to a 2nd or maybe 3rd plane, I would still like to have the AS3X receiver but I prefer the RadioMaster XT16S transmitter because of price/ features. Are they compatible to giving me the full performance including range?
The AS3X/SAFE receivers have the DSMX protocol , so they will bind to any transmitter with the DSMX protocol . However , the proper programming ( with a non Spektrum transmitter ) may be difficult or impossible .
Jan 04, 2021, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
I read that RadioMaster TX16S has the ability to bind to DSM receivers. I was wondering after binding would you still have full functionality including SAFE including range.
Jan 04, 2021, 04:14 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I read that RadioMaster TX16S has the ability to bind to DSM receivers. I was wondering after binding would you still have full functionality including SAFE including range.
Yes , binding is establishing a communication link between the transmitter and receiver ..... not a problem .

The problem may be : getting the RadioMaster TX16S programmed correctly for proper SAFE/AS3X function .
Jan 04, 2021, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
Yes. That’s my concern. I was hoping someone had successfully done this.
Anyone????
Jan 04, 2021, 04:56 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Yes. That’s my concern. I was hoping someone had successfully done this.
Anyone????
I have not attempted that with a RadioMaster , but I have attempted it with a HobbyKing Orange TX ( DSMX/DSM2 ) . The Orange TX bound to two SAFE/AS3X planes , but I could not get the programming set up correctly for proper SAFE/AS3X function .
Jan 18, 2021, 11:31 AM
Here's a couple videos I found on YouTube.

How to Set Up DSMX BNF Planes with the RadioMaster TX16S (Tutorial) (6 min 30 sec)

How to Set Up Flight Mode/Panic Button Switches for SAFE/AS3X Planes w/ the RadioMaster TX16S (4 min 36 sec)

Radio master TS16X with Timber X (23 min 4 sec)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jan 23, 2021, 12:08 PM
I have about 16 or so planes all with AS3X and SAFE working on a TX16S. Learning OpenTx will be the tricky part, but the hardware works.

Edit: the screen on the radio looks great. In the pic I posted it still had the shipping protective film on the screen and looks hazy.
Last edited by ooOoo; Jan 23, 2021 at 12:50 PM.
Jan 23, 2021, 12:59 PM
The E-Flite X-Vert has some oddball stuff that needs programmed for the motor arming and throttle cut, and I got my radio to work with it also.
Mar 31, 2021, 12:41 PM
Can anybody provide a procedure to bind RadioMaster 16S for eflite AS3x/Safe function? I'm having no luck binding to my Conscendo Evolution 1.5m to get both AS3X and Safe functions switchable. I can bind to get one or the other utilizing the bind plug but cant get both functional with a single bind.
Mar 31, 2021, 12:57 PM
Al
Al
Low level Blabber
Hmm does it require the spektrum audio interface to program it?
Mar 31, 2021, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Gagnon
Can anybody provide a procedure to bind RadioMaster 16S for eflite AS3x/Safe function? I'm having no luck binding to my Conscendo Evolution 1.5m to get both AS3X and Safe functions switchable. I can bind to get one or the other utilizing the bind plug but cant get both functional with a single bind.
Look at channel monitor on the radio. Flip the switch you use for SAFE. What values does it switch between?
Apr 01, 2021, 09:58 AM

Safe switch TX16s

I assigned ch5 to safe. When I switch it I get +100 and -100
Apr 01, 2021, 10:02 AM
Seems like the programming is good.

I’ve bound mine to many of the 636 receivers by installing the bind plug, plug in battery, remove bind plug and then bind. I haven’t used Spektrums newest receivers yet if that’s what you have in yours.
Apr 04, 2021, 01:41 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Just a comment so please no execution !!

OK - OP wants to set up AS3X / SAFE on a Multi Protocol radio ... whether Radiomaster or Jumper or Radioking etc. makes little difference as they all use similar module and OPENTX.
I've read elsewhere that basic SAFE can be setup using the DSMX protocol via the module.

For subsequent models - why restrict to SAFE equipped models ? The Radiomaster / Multi module radios will give advantage to use literally any Rx and Gyro out there (as long as you don'y buy the LITE version Tx's !!). I think the only main line Rx that is not covered at present is the later FrSky Access ... but I am led to believe - that's only a matter of time !
Latest blog entry: Life goes on and new boat

Quick Reply