This thread is privately moderated by Cox PT-19, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 02, 2021, 05:28 PM
Kim
Thread OP
Discussion

"Rusty's Medallion"

"Rusty's Medallion"

We've lost several friends from our little circle of flyers this past year, making me redouble my efforts at having a good life and appreciating it at the same time. The clock is ticking folks...get out and do stuff.

My friend, Rusty Knowlton passed away a few months ago, and was a walking example of squeezing all the living possible from one's existence.

We met in person one time three years ago, but were constantly in touch, before and after, through the Cox Engine Collector Forum, and his weekly/bi-weekly live forum, "At the Bench", over on the Stunt Hangar site.

A memorial has been organized by the C.E.F. in honor of Rusty...a "Traveling Engine Event"...with three engines mailed between members who will run, fly, or display them for posting on the Forum, along with any thoughts or memories they may have about our ole bud.

I was recently honored and somewhat shocked to receive a package of Rusty's gear from Will Davis, a mutual friend. One of the items was a Cox "Medallion" .049 engine, and it was instantly assigned duty in the nose of my "Scout" project. With as few changes as possible, it'll be bolted to the little plane, with some sort of notation on the model's side.

The "Medallion" series of Cox engines are considered (by me at least), to be the "Gentler Tee Dee's"...not as powerful---though close--but easier to start and a little less picky about their settings. Kinda like the difference between a high-strung thoroughbred and a friendly work horse.

As I like to do these days, I set up a test stand to check the little engine's health, and it came to life almost immediately, with just hand flips to wake it up. It'll be ready-to-rock when it's put on the nose of the Scout.
Here are some photos of it's run, along with a few memories of my ole bud, Rusty:
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply