This thread is privately moderated by Miami Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 02, 2021, 03:28 PM
Alt+24=↑ Alt+25=↓ Use num keys
Thread OP
Discussion

Things That Happen in Movies But Not in Real Life

I'll start with a couple of examples:

In movies, guns don't recoil or hurt people's ears. (Think of Terminator 2 when they were shooting a shotgun inside an elevator.)

In movies, lightning flashes and distant explosions are immediately accompanied by sound when there should be a delay.
Jan 02, 2021, 07:53 PM
Meow-meow Godwin
On computer screens, text still appears at about 10 characters per second, accompanied by either a mechanical teletype sound or electronic chirps. If computer brands are shown at all, they are invariably Apple.

Procedural police dramas show techs gathering evidence without gloves, shoe protection or hair protection. And the labs for examining such evidence are dimly lit by blue lights under the cabinet doors by the kickplates.
Jan 02, 2021, 08:03 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Cars that drive off cliffs explode on impact.
Jan 02, 2021, 08:23 PM
Thread OP
Speaking of computer screens, when they show them in movies the screen always spells out in simple language what the computer is doing.
Jan 02, 2021, 08:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
Cars that drive off cliffs explode on impact.
I think the explosion virtually always happens after the car has come to rest at the bottom. It seems the car never explodes on the way down no matter how many rocks it bounces off of, and that's probably because the steps are

(1) Push the car off the cliff and film it as it drops to the bottom. Don't move the camera.

(2) Go set the charges.

(3) Come back and roll the camera.

(4) Boom!
Jan 03, 2021, 10:20 AM
Giant, monster sharks roar under water...
Jan 03, 2021, 08:32 PM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Dogs talk,, it's all fake I tell you
Jan 13, 2021, 03:53 PM
Lone Star Flyer
I seem to remember a horse drawn wagon exploding in flames as it falls from a cliff, but I can't remember the movie.
Jan 13, 2021, 03:53 PM
Lone Star Flyer
Laugh tracks.
Jan 13, 2021, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkitexas
I seem to remember a horse drawn wagon exploding in flames as it falls from a cliff, but I can't remember the movie.
The horses exploded, not the wagon.
Last edited by RMurf101; Feb 01, 2021 at 06:59 PM.
Jan 20, 2021, 10:42 PM
Sport bike riding off with the sound of a Harley v-twin.

Hearing a car take off, engine revving, shifting 4 times and they aren't even out of the driveway yet. I don't hit 4th gear at 4000 RPM in my driveway.

Clearly hearing the clutch disengaging and gears shifting but the actor's hands never leave the steering wheel.

I actually saw the opposite in Hanna on Prime I think. They took off in a van, showed 3 pedals and the foot work of taking off and the sound was an automatic. Never saw that before. It's always the sound of a manual with the car an automatic.

That said, you can not just dump the clutch and slam the throttle from idle with no feathering whatsoever. It will stall.

Multiple assailant fight scenes against 1 person. They always take their turn. Such polite fighting, LOL.
Jan 21, 2021, 08:29 PM
Still gassin' it.
The inevitable trail of fuel being ignited, the flamefront propagates so fast that it even catches up a jet airliner taking off... despite jetfuel being virtually inignitable with lighters or matches...

In car-scenes, where the good guy flips a cigarette butt in the trail of gasoline leaking from the fleeing perps vehicle, ditto: Flamefronts propagate with approx 5 mph at best on surface burning gasoline, and gasoline cannot be ignited by a cigarette butt... Not even if you blow at the glowing end.
Jan 22, 2021, 01:55 PM
Single-task at best...
Squealing tyres on a gravel driveway...
Feb 01, 2021, 09:26 AM
You can't take the sky from me
An ugly girl turns into a hotty with just a wardrobe change and a little makeup.
Feb 03, 2021, 05:31 PM
Someone cutting their way through a thick jungle coming across an airplane and can repair it within a few hours and fly it out to save themselves. I think I saw that in an Indiana Jones movie years ago.

And how about this one:

Top Gun (1/8) Movie CLIP - Watch the Birdie (1986) HD (2 min 43 sec)

Back when I was active duty on the USS Midway, I watched this scene early on in the movie and turned it off within ten seconds of the pic being taken. The entire movie was nothing but unrealism, but you'd only know it if you actually experienced carrier "life".

Quick Reply