Feb 07, 2021, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fintels
Funny, as i was doing a battery check, and was going to put jst connectors on all my batteries...are they that bad?
Obviously, many are fine with them. Personally, JST tend to be slippery for my fingers and I end up tugging the wires with too much effort. I like the molex a lot, but you gotta watch polarity issues with incompatible chargers and receiver leads. And be careful of those little chargers in general there’s no perfect solution I guess...
Last edited by JoeCube; Feb 07, 2021 at 12:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2021, 10:33 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
I've lost two models due to JST connectors and also recently went to the micro deans 2 pole connectors. Polarity isn't a problem once they have been soldered up - you can not plug them in wrong. The other thing that's cool with these is that the conductor snap into the plastic housing so if you suck with a soldering iron and are worried about melting the plastic - you can pull each conductor out and do the soldering outside of the plastic housing.

https://www.amazon.ca/WS-Deans-Micro.../dp/B000BOTWJU
Feb 07, 2021, 12:06 PM

Polarity

I have seen BOTH the Molex and JST connectors wired both ways (different polarity) on purchased batteries so pay attention when you receive them. I have used both connectors, I now prefer the Molex just for size considerations, but make sure they fit tightly and test thoroughly before flight.

Weird name on that battery, got any details on size and weight?

I need to go through my models and replace batteries. Been a while for some of them. I hate doing it, as batteries, in my experience, can vary a few grams either way and now the process of getting the CG back where I like it,,,Joe,,,takes some time.

As a final note, these small connectors can be troublesome and be ghostly in failures. I have had it happen twice, where the connection seems good, but is becoming worn,,,loose or whatever and during launch has lost connection for just long enough to cause the plane to do some very erratic flying, LOSS of signal,,,,do ya think?,,,Spring/pull system After investigating, the problem was duplicated on the ground after some trial and error and connectors/connections are replaced/repaired. I have also had a couple of instances where a new connector was less then stellar on connecting so it got thrown away also.
Batteries and their connections can be one of the most troublesome components of these small planes.
Cary
Feb 07, 2021, 12:35 PM
Ooh, good to know, Cary. Do you remember the brand for the molex with connector issues? Haven’t had issues with the connectors themselves yet...Testing any new batteries is always a wise move.
Feb 07, 2021, 03:23 PM
No I don't remember Joe. I think they were a bulk buy (10 pcs) for wired connectors from either HK or Banggood.
Cary
Feb 13, 2021, 11:37 PM
Made a small handful of these to attach the battery to the receiver.
Feb 14, 2021, 02:19 AM
I can probably fix that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadFlopper
No I don't remember Joe. I think they were a bulk buy (10 pcs) for wired connectors from either HK or Banggood.
Cary
And this is why I hand crimp mine onto 28 strand wire..
Feb 14, 2021, 03:10 AM
Has anyone ever attached their receiver plug somewhere in the pod so it isn’t stressed when connecting and disconnecting the battery?
Feb 18, 2021, 10:11 PM
Blind Hawk
Thread OP

New Toy

Hey Guys,

I picked up a Falcon to give a go. Got it on Tuesday, finished tonight.
Quality of the kit is very nice, comparable with other top end planes. Very complete kit, including cutting the horn slots in all the control surfaces, a nice touch! Physically comparing to the BAMF (which I've been flying the last 3 years), wing cord is a touch narrower at the root and a touch wider at the tip. The nose is longer (lots of room for gear) and slightly bigger in dia. The Falcon has a cool ballast system, you load from the bottom and the ballast sticks are in their own molded in channel. No clanging around or chance of getting caught on controls. The VT is a bit bigger than the BAMF.

Haven't flown it yet, hope to on Saturday if the weather gives a break, will give a report when I do.

Attached a few picts, I went outside the lines going with clevises on the ailerons, I really like being able to dial in your control rod length, it makes set up a snap. Otherwise the build is pretty straight forward and easy.

If you'd like to look it over, or give it a try let me know. I try it to get out most weekends and will of course be at 60A on Wednesdays as soon as we get longer days.

Rj
Feb 18, 2021, 11:01 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
I saw the prototypes in Hungary and I was impressed - this looks like a nice bird!
Feb 19, 2021, 11:47 AM
Wowsers
Feb 19, 2021, 03:20 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Rick, did you use rigid carbon tubes for pushrods, with no sleeves?
Can you show more pics of the aileron hookups.
Thanks for posting the pics!
And a super fast build.
Feb 19, 2021, 07:49 PM
Blind Hawk
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
Rick, did you use rigid carbon tubes for pushrods, with no sleeves?
Can you show more pics of the aileron hookups.
Thanks for posting the pics!
And a super fast build.
Yes, push rods from the kit with 2mm x 1mm carbon tube slid over. Similar to how we've done the BAMF's. The clevis give adjustment so you can get the ailerons "perfect", making set up a snap.

Note the "Oleg Offset" on the aileron horn end. I've never done this before but your descriptions made so much sense had to give it a go!

CG at 62.8, hoping for a break in the rains tomorrow to give it some tosses.

Rj
Feb 19, 2021, 10:48 PM
Will fly for food
Where are you going to throw at
Feb 21, 2021, 04:45 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread but figured this is the best place to find a local with a DLG to sell.

I am in Bothell, WA.

Looking for a used DLG, 1m or 1.5m.
I have a sidewinder ii, looking for something a little more modern.

It's been a while since I've flown so something beginner friendly is preferred.

Please DM me if you have anything available.

Thanks!

Quick Reply