Sep 22, 2021, 09:58 PM
Never too light
Glad you are back on it! Was confused and disappointed where it left off.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2021, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGordon
Glad you are back on it! Was confused and disappointed where it left off.
Yeah, sorry about that.
I never mean to leave any project off.
I am just incredibly busy. I work at home, due to the Pandemic thing, and I walk by my airplane projects every day and wish I could work on them.
I...just...don't...have...time.

It took way too long to pick this one back up because I was gifted another plane and restored that.
But yes I am back on it...after a slight intermission.

That's one thing about retirement I look forward to. Having more TIME.
Sep 26, 2021, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
This week I'll be going up to Amarillo. There's a very good print shop there that can help me put together my revised plans and scan them to PDF. I'm going to make these plans available on PDF for anyone here that wants them; and I'm also going to forward them to Outerzone.
I would be very interested to see how others make out with this plane.

Once I get a set of plans I can build on top of, I will immediately start the revised wing.

Folks, sometimes new designs have issues that have to be worked out. Please know that even if I take a break from my planes, it's purely because of my lack of spare time at this period in my life. I'm working my tail off so that I can retire by the end of the decade.
I will ALWAYS come back to a new design if I've set it down for a little bit.
And I'm not at all happy with how long it takes me to complete a build, when friends like Pat Tritle can whip out a brand new prototype in a week or a little longer.

This U2 is going back on the work bench for revising so that it can fly.
Because when I took it to the flying field, something had changed and I was only getting good deflection on the rudder. All other control surfaces barely moved, and it worked fine previously. That, and the fact that I was not happy with the old wing are the reason why this prototype hasn't flown yet. But it will!
Sep 26, 2021, 11:08 PM
Never too light
Totally understand. I have a build thread I started about a month ago with the best of intentions, but lots of things keep coming up. I even have a Pat Tritle design I started well over a year ago; and he's probably designed and built a half dozen planes since then!

U2 is very interesting plane to me, a personal favorite, and so rarely modeled.
Sep 27, 2021, 06:37 PM
Thread OP
Don't feel bad. I've got a Pat Tritle Stinson Reliant that I've covered in silk.
I've been working on that off and on for pushing 2 years now.
The guilt is driving me crazy and I need to finish it, for sure.

Anyway, about the U2 plans...I will post on here when I'm ready to send out PDF files of the plans.
When the time comes, I can send you a set.
Sep 29, 2021, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
Hey folks,
I have the plans ready if anyone is interested.
Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a copy.
Sep 29, 2021, 07:59 PM
B for Bruce
Catching up on your project I noticed the issues and your idea of modifying the wing to be more friendly with the air at model size. I think that's a great idea and the change won't be all that noticable.

The pictures of the finished model with the semi profile fuselage looked great! I didn't think the profile idea would work that well but you sure proved me wrong. I guess it's a skinny enough design and with the air scoops adding to the image it looks good. And that setup with the new wing changes should give you a nice flying and nice looking model. I'd love to see it so PM sent!
Sep 30, 2021, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
Bruce, thank you for the complements.
I have emailed you the plans.
Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I've also emailed a set to Pat Tritle. No idea if he'll opt to build one or not, but I can almost guarantee he'd cut a few ounces out of it.
Sep 30, 2021, 02:10 PM
Hi Tony,

I'd love to see the plans. Thanks!

Andy
Oct 01, 2021, 01:07 PM
Thread OP
Andy the plans are sent.

Pat liked the plans. He commented that the wings should be stronger than previously, although maybe not any lighter. He felt it would be a good flyer, but advised me to not try to save anything on the old wing. Cut it flush with the fuselage and work out what's left (probably with a dremel).

At least then, I'll be able to salvage the rest of the plane.
Oct 01, 2021, 02:20 PM
Got them, and they look good. You should post them in the thread.

I can't wait to see the video for this one!

Andy
Oct 01, 2021, 02:54 PM
B for Bruce
I got my copy too. There's a lot to like and very little to complain about!

You widened up the tips a lot. But not by enough that we can avoid the need for a couple of degrees of washout. One thing that does look right is how you altered the airfoil from some upsweep on the lower leading edge at the root to no upsweep at all at the tips. This builds in some desirable washout of its own. So well thought out on that side. But I'm thinking that we might need a touch more like 1.5 to 2° in addition. Your thoughts? It's easy enough on long wings like this to heat in a little later so I'll start with a "flat build" and covering job and we'll see.

For some time now I've wanted to try a model where roll control would come from spoilers out near the wing tips. Your U2 might be just the right test subject. And if it doesn't work out I'd just make a second set of wings with regular ailerons.
Oct 01, 2021, 07:27 PM
100% aileron differential will give you the spoiler action.

Andy
Oct 01, 2021, 08:25 PM
B for Bruce
That's true. But I'm hoping to try a method that will also fit as a roll control for vintage free flight gliders. Some of them that didn't have enough dihedral or have the wrong sort of dihedral like gull wings with not enough dihedral in the outer panels. I've always thought that this could be an option that could be accomplished with minimal added structure. So I'd like to try fairly minimal short chord spoilers out near the wing tips. As in two rib bays in span and maybe 10% of the chord in width.
Oct 02, 2021, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
Sure you could add more washout, Bruce. Yes I did allow for a little, but you can warp the ends for a bit more.

Keep in mind folks that this wing is not yet tested, although it should be accurate.
I did attempt to get started on AutoCAD, since I had a 2005 copy on CD Rom. And it uploads too. The problem was that you apparently can't have AutoCAD on a computer that has internet ability, because AC2005 sensed that and would not allow me to open without first registering. I will have to dedicate a computer that never gets on the internet.

So the airfoil this time is Clark-Y. But it is thinned around the perimeter 1/16 inch to allow for the sheeting and the cap strips. I had to use Adobe Pro to create my rib patterns, which is a lot tougher because the measuring tool in Adobe is really clunky compared to AutoCAD.

Anyway, I'll be building my new set of wings over this next week also, and I'll cut the old wings off flush with the fuselage and carefully excavate the remains of the wing center section out of the wing saddle.

Andy, how do you attach a PDF file to a post on a thread? You mentioned that. I didn't know that was possible.

Quick Reply