Jan 02, 2021, 08:54 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

VOK 2021 - deBolt Live Wire Super Cub Finished and Flown

Hal deBolt was a good friend of my dad's back in the day, and an RC hero of mine when I was a kid. I wasn't around for the early days but in the late 60's - early 70's his immaculately finished pattern and racing models were my favorites.

Over the years I've built and flown deBolt's Champ Mk III, Live Wire Trainer, Live Wire Senior, Rebel, Kitten, and P-Shooter, and I'm slowly working on an example of his "Encore" pattern model from 1967.

This VOK challenge has motivated me to build my 1957 Live Wire Super Cub kit, a close cousin to deBolt's far more popular Champ.

As with all of my vintage fleet, my model will use a more current glow engine and modern radio gear for simplicity and reliability; and finish will be silk and dope.

Plan is to build the wing and tail first before tackling the fuselage, primarily as I haven't decided yet on upright or inverted engine mounting. Both are shown on the plans, as a carry-over from his control line speed days deBolt used to like inverted, cowled engines even on simple sport designs.

Progress will be slow but steady, I usually have 3-4 projects going at once...not the most efficient way to build but that's me!

That's all for today, both wing panels joined but still a lot to do. Not the typical way I build a wing bit the way deBolt illustrates on the Champ Mk III plans and has worked well for me on all my Live Wire 3 channel builds.
Last edited by Lowrider1960; Jul 16, 2021 at 01:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2021, 08:55 AM
Thread OP
Reserved
Last edited by Lowrider1960; Jan 04, 2021 at 06:33 PM.
Jan 02, 2021, 02:45 PM
B for Bruce
Link to this build log added in the Builder's List.
Jan 02, 2021, 04:33 PM
Wasn't aware there was a LW Super Cub! And with built up tail surfaces to boot. Will enjoy watching your build.
Jan 04, 2021, 06:33 PM
Thread OP
A little more progress:

Fin and rudder are sanded and will be set aside until the horizontal stab is framed up. I do plan to use "perfect" cloth hinges.

Wing is coming along, need to carve the LE, add wingtips and then start sanding. I did add shear webs to a few bays in each panel, and inset TE stock between the upper and lower TE sheeting in the center section. Once everything is sanded I'll add a 1/32" ply strip to protect the TE sheeting from the rubber bands. I will also add glass cloth to the center section.
Jan 17, 2021, 04:23 PM
Thread OP
Spent a few minutes on the stabilizer this morning, not much too it but curious why deBolt didn't just go with a sheet balsa stab as on his Champ.

Time now to decide on upright or inverted engine before tackling the fuselage, leaning towards inverted.
Jan 22, 2021, 01:35 PM
I am enjoying your build of your Super Cub.
I had a deBolt Super Cub back in 1964. I installed my first multi-channel reed system and an OS Max 29 in it. It flew for a very short time with its end caused by a folded wing when I attempted a loop. Now, 56 years later, I am going to give it another try and build from a kit I found on ebay as soon as I clear some other projects out of the way. This one will have a strengthened wing with sheer webs and strong spars.
I look forward to your progress on one of my favorite deBolt designs.
Nice work.
Jan 23, 2021, 09:10 AM
Thread OP
Thank you Heggen, I am finishing up another project but should be back on the Super Cub in February.

I did add shear webs but in hindsight would have used 3/16 spruce for the spars as well. I am replacing much of the kit sheet balsa and die crushed parts with contest balsa, aiming for a RTF weight under 3 pounds. An OS 15 will power mine so will hopefully not be folding any wings! I will cover with silk which should help.
Jan 30, 2021, 03:26 PM
Thread OP
Slow progress but I finished up the wing (other than some glass cloth to reinforce the center section).

Wing as it sits is only 6 ounces, this is going to a very light model!
Jan 31, 2021, 01:23 PM
Brighto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider1960
Time now to decide on upright or inverted engine before tackling the fuselage, leaning towards inverted.
Mine had an upright OS .19 with the fuel tank accessible from the top of the fuselage. Flew it with a first generation Orbit(trol) and the PS-1 servos for REM. Wish I had pictures.
Feb 01, 2021, 08:51 PM
I built a LW Champ, essentially same plane, from a Midwest kit, the last production. I used an upright OS 15 FP. I really liked easy access to the engine. I flew that plane a lot. Not so sure I would have like it as much with an inverted engine.
Feb 05, 2021, 01:16 PM

Champ

Iím clearing out my garage during COVID and uncovered a World Engines Champ. Box art looks like the LW Champ I remember from years ago.

Box is nasty but contents look new.

Similar/same?
Feb 07, 2021, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Started on the fuselage, have decided to go with an upright mounted engine, OS 15 in this case. I had no issues running pumped 61s inverted back in the late 80s when I flew pattern, but that was a long time ago and now I just want to keep things simple!
Feb 07, 2021, 12:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Flyer
Iím clearing out my garage during COVID and uncovered a World Engines Champ. Box art looks like the LW Champ I remember from years ago.

Box is nasty but contents look new.

Similar/same?
Similar in name only, the deBolt and later Midwest kit versions of the Champ are stand way off and squint semi-scale renditions of a Champ, aimed more as a rugged trainer and sport flyer.

The World Engines Champ takes similar size engines and is slightly smaller but closer to a sport scale rendition of an Aeronca Champ than the deBolt design.
I have never seen one built or flown versus dozens of deBolt Champs and I came along into RC well after the design's heyday.
Feb 07, 2021, 02:24 PM

Thanks

Thanks. Complete mystery to me. The kit’s die-cut and band saw work really look like a high quality job. From looking at the plans it seems like the fuse is not solid sheet and it appears the live wire may be but I have only seen some pics of the LW. Only one of the WE kits I’ve ever seen also.

Guess I’ll try to sell it but wanted some info. Thanks for the help.
Last edited by Funk Flyer; Feb 07, 2021 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply