Mar 26, 2021, 06:22 PM
Points against the MM2 - NFZ's, 120m altitude limit, CE mode, lack of waypoint mode. It remains to be seen which if any of these will apply to the Fimi.

But I would actually agree, the MM2 looks like a better bet for most people unless the Fimi comes in at a significantly lower price.

@stevea3342, I don't think it's a case of the battery technology/chemistry not existing, but it looks like the battery suppliers must have let Fimi down. LiIon cells can offer significantly higher specific energy density, but even the MM2 went back to LiPos, presumably to improve the top speed and wind ability.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2021, 06:32 PM
If NFZs and waypoints are what we want, this could be a great drone in the mid to upper $3xx. Ridiculous to release it at 258g when we all know they could use another couple months to refine the firmware and let battery availability catch up. Maybe spend a few more days on the horizon software lol.
Mar 26, 2021, 09:21 PM
Banggood has it listed for 449? Way to mark it up so you can give a discount later. Always with the games. The only people excited so far are people that make money from their Fimi-Mini-is-Announced YouTube videos.

https://www.banggood.com/FIMI-X8-Min...4&rmmds=search

At least Banggood is listing it as 258g in the product description at the top of the page even though the rest of the pages mixes in standard/pro weights.
Mar 27, 2021, 05:06 AM
Reach for the stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
Banggood has it listed for 449?
Yes and who would want to deal with those clowns and that headache. You can just get a MM2 locally $449 and be done with it. It's by far the best single stop drone solution out there right now.
Mar 27, 2021, 08:56 AM
FIMI X8 Mini Camera Drone 250g-class drone
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002315441435.html

FIMI X8 Mini Camera Drone 250g-class drones 8km 4k professional mini drone Quadcopter with camera gps remote control helicopter

Main Features:

1.250g-Class Ultralight Design: Featuring a 250g-class ultralight and foldable design, the palm-sized FIMI X8 Mini lets you feel free to fly, wherever you are. Use its multiple shooting modes to capture unique moments from the sky!

2.Choose Between Two Batteries: The weight of the drone with the Standard Battery is 258g approx; The weight of the drone with the Pro Battery is 245g approx

3. 8KM Transmission Range: A newly upgraded TDMA image transmission system ensures stabler transmissions and optimized sensitivity. With an 8KM transmission range, the landscape is always with you. The further you can fly, the farther you can see.

4. 30-Minute Flight Time: Small but powerful, with 30 minutes of battery life, the FIMI X8 Mini lets you create the blockbuster of your dreams.

*Equipped with the Standard Battery, the drone can fly up to 30 minutes. (in a windless environment and at a speed of 6m/s)

*Equipped with the Pro Battery, the drone can fly up to 31 minutes. (in windless environment and at a speed of 6m/s)

5. Type-C Fast-Charging Battery: The Type-C charging port on the battery allows for 9V/3A rapid charging. Charge your backup batteries without a hassle while flying the drone.

6. Stabilized 3-Axis Mechanical Gimbal: The FIMI X8 Mini combines a lightweight 3-axis mechanical gimbal with the latest

professional control algorithm for a much better accuracy of 0.005°. Excellent performance means stable recording!

6. 4K HDR Video: The camera features 4K/30fps video and a highly dynamic range, meaning clearer footage. Videos are shot in the H.265/HEVC codec, with F-log and DNG image format supported. Enjoy a professional-grade visual experience, whether you are sending a video to a friend or editing your next blockbuster.

7. Direct Flight with Your Smartphone: The drone can connect to your mobile phone via Wi-Fi even without the remote controller. The high bandwidth, low latency, and strong anti-interference 5.8GHz high-frequency signal creates up to 100m of real-time HD image transmission. Quickly record any beautiful moment you don't want to miss.

8. Level 5 Wind Resistance: With its small magnetic gap motors and high-efficiency silent propellers, the X8 Mini can resist Level 5 winds, offering a better thrust-to-weight ratio and faster response speed. Experience a seamless flight whether you are on top of a windy mountain or walking along a beach. The handy remote controller is light and easy to carry. The upgraded receiver lets you enjoy stabler image transmission.

9. Smart Tracking Modes : Powered by AI technology, the drone can always precisely lock on a target.

10. One-tap Video: With a single tap, take cinematic shots with the FIMI X8 Mini.

11. Powerful Flight Plan Shooting: The powerful flight plan shooting function is not only designed for path planning, but also for task planning.

12. Timelapse: The X8 Mini, with its professional imaging and flight control system, allows you to create high-quality and stable time-lapse videos.

13. Livestreaming: Share live aerial videos with friends via social platforms.

14. Panorama: One tap creates awesome panoramic pictures.

15. Night Shooting: Powered by the Hisilicon professional AI algorithm for noise reduction, the X8 Mini preserves vivid details beyond what can be detected by the eyes. Just imagine taking your drone to explore colorful nighttime scenes!

16. SAR(Search and Rescue Mode): With 3x digital zoom, GPS positioning, light weight and 8km transmission, X8 Mini must be a great assistant in search and rescue task.

17. APP: With its totally redesigned UI, the app is more intuitive to use. It offers a plug-and-play feature connecting the remote and your mobile device via the OTG cable, so there are no more complicated settings.

18. Precision Landing : The X8 Mini utilizes the downside camera to recognize the launch pad and it can land right on it.

19. Multiple Safety Functions for a Safe Flight

A variety of intelligent safety functions ensures a safe flight at all times.

Package include:

aircraft with camera*1

remote controller *1

propeller*8

battery*1

screwdriver*1

gimbal cover*1

cable*3

instruction*2

screws*4

usb-cable*1
Last edited by Jagerbomb52; Mar 27, 2021 at 09:16 AM.
Mar 27, 2021, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
Points against the MM2 - NFZ's, 120m altitude limit, CE mode, lack of waypoint mode. It remains to be seen which if any of these will apply to the Fimi.

But I would actually agree, the MM2 looks like a better bet for most people unless the Fimi comes in at a significantly lower price.

@stevea3342, I don't think it's a case of the battery technology/chemistry not existing, but it looks like the battery suppliers must have let Fimi down. LiIon cells can offer significantly higher specific energy density, but even the MM2 went back to LiPos, presumably to improve the top speed and wind ability.
Nitpick: there are apps for the Mini and Mini 2 that allow waypoint missions by using what's commonly called "virtual sticks". Basically the app on the phone controls the drone like a human would, by sending stick movements (and closing the loop with the data from the drone)

Real waypoints, instead, are uploaded in the drone and the mission can keep going on even if the remote signal is lost (even if these days, with remotes routinely able to control a drone a few km/miles away it's less of an issue)

But, yes, you are correct: the Mini and Mini 2 are the only DJI drones with no SDK, so no waypoints and no third party support, at least for now
Last edited by robca; Mar 27, 2021 at 01:04 PM.
Mar 28, 2021, 07:45 AM
No idea why Fimi thought it would be a good idea to have a 'normal' battery that brings the weight over 250 grams Why bother?

I do like the looks of that orange one
Mar 28, 2021, 08:08 AM
You can only assume it's due to some supply problem, and it's quite an embarrassment.

Mind you, people talk as if there are regulators and enforcers on the prowl who can tell the weight of a drone just by looking at it.

I wonder how many MM flyers in Japan use the regular battery rather than the smaller, lighter one used for the Japanese market, where the weight threshold is less than 250g?
Mar 28, 2021, 08:48 AM
I think they are without shame releasing this at 258g instead of waiting for the correct battery to be available. If dji did this with the MM2 they would have been a laughing stock.

Look, I want the fimi mini to be excellent but we can't even be sure if or when the pro battery will be released. True, no one is going to weigh it but this release strategy doesn't make sense either.

When the pro batteries are available they'll probably be put in ready to fly kits and not sold separately for a while either.
Mar 28, 2021, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
I think they are without shame releasing this at 258g instead of waiting for the correct battery to be available.
Where are you living? Under a rock? When has any China company had any kind of shame LOL
Mar 28, 2021, 12:41 PM
Haha, I'm sorry I sound like a troll here as I'm very likely to get one of these once there is a pro package and assuming their nfz stuff is China only like the other Fimi's.

I guess we're used to the carnival like price games they play on the sales sites but they are pushing the ridiculousness of this launch to new levels.
Mar 28, 2021, 01:30 PM
I think I know why I'm sio grumpy about marketing and auw weight. Same week as the fimi mini we have tbe zohd Talon 250g

PNP empty weight: 220g (no rx)
Recommended takeoff weight: 240-320g

Where can I get some of those 20g batteries?
Mar 28, 2021, 01:57 PM
I have been interested in FIMI for some time now but I am not impressed with any of the cameras so I am hoping they actually have improved this one.
Mar 28, 2021, 02:32 PM
It's just a bug...
If this is the same NFZ than the X8, that is not active but existing, it will just be the one from ICAO database. It just lists the sites points and elevations, all have the same class.
There's no notion of polygon area or size of site. You can find it in the X8 from its firmware using SQLLiteDB: https://ln.sync.com/dl/236daa400/m84...ff7ej-345fwv7s
Mar 29, 2021, 05:54 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robca
But, yes, you are correct: the Mini and Mini 2 are the only DJI drones with no SDK, so no waypoints and no third party support, at least for now
Not true my friend, Mavic Mini, MA2 both have already released their SDK and third party support is available with waypoints and such added for free or a few dollars. Given time frame I would say Mini 2 is due next month (April) for it's SDK to be released.

As for this offering, as until it gets into the public and real world tests...it's vaporware at this point, not a challenger at any level given cost and given that the MM has been out for a year and a half and now the Mini 2, there is very little market left, even the MA2 has a upgrade already pending with the "S" model...that ship sailed months ago to have and want a sub 250.
Last edited by Repaid1; Mar 29, 2021 at 06:04 AM.

Quick Reply