Jun 16, 2021, 07:48 AM
Is there any offer from EU warehouse?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2021, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webvan
Yes, on the SE 2020 it's a "non-factor"...#12 is fixed indeed ;-)

Since we're discussing the 2020 and your list, about #11 I was asking in the 2020 v2 thread if anyone was having any luck with getting the "Smart Track" features working properly with the latest App/FW versions on the 2020 as I have no luck getting it to keep the target acquired for any usable length of time and was told that there were no answers because it was likely no one used them...I know you use "Smart Track/Lock" at least. Is that still working for you ?

I would add a #15 to your list : working panorama modes (no crazy tilting when panning in the wide mode), adding a 360 mode, allowing for manual exposure in panorama mode (vertical is not affected by tilting but is useless as it exposes for the sky). The DJIs are light years ahead in that area and nailed these modes when they came out on the Spark in late 2017.
Panorama and tiny planet is the only reason I keep my Spark around.
Jun 16, 2021, 01:29 PM

My own Mini box

I got one of the early Mini's, before any accessories were available. I went to harbor freight and picked up a plastic .30 cal ammo box, bought a piece of foam padding, and created my own carry box- less than $10.
Jun 16, 2021, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharps45
I got one of the early Mini's, before any accessories were available. I went to harbor freight and picked up a plastic .30 cal ammo box, bought a piece of foam padding, and created my own carry box- less than $10.
Posted this vid to YT of this mornings flight playing with fixed wing mode.

Fimi Mini fixed wing flight (2 min 37 sec)
Jun 16, 2021, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
The quads you listed would fit my needs well. I just want to fly a bit in the park with my kids and also have waypoint so I have something to chase with another quad or fpv plane. But I really want sub 250, at least 20min real flight time and maybe 2km of reliable range[/COLOR] in high noise area. Cam/gimbal is not super important but I'd like to be able to control the camera's pitch.
So basically your 'needs' could be met with the SJRC F11 4K Pro at $170 (single battery version). But some of those 'wants' do bump you past the DJI Mini SE and up into the $400 dollar range with only a couple of choices: Fimi X8 Mini or DJI Mini 2 ($429+tax with shoulder bag at Costco right now). Or perhaps you're enticed by the price-performance of the Hubsan Mini Pro, and prepared to wait for trusted reviews starting with 'QC Guy' on YouTube.

So basically you're in the same boat with all of us!!
Jun 16, 2021, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharps45
Posted this vid to YT of this mornings flight playing with fixed wing mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgUa2TK3wu8
Thank you so much for sharing this. Great job!

I hate to nitpick Fimi but I agree with JNoake that fixed-wing mode seems to slide around the corners due to a lack of sufficient/realistic bank.

EDIT: Well now that I've seen DJI's attempt at 'FPV mode' I think Fimi is doing just fine with it!
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; Jun 19, 2021 at 05:46 AM. Reason: link to DJI's FPV mode demo
Jun 17, 2021, 07:34 AM
I'm going to wait and see on the Hubsan mini.
Jun 17, 2021, 05:45 PM
Quote:
I'm going to wait and see on the Hubsan mini.
Their 'rollout special' wasn't too impressive!
Jun 17, 2021, 06:12 PM
I'm not bothered about the crash at the end. I'm more bothered that they haven't given one to a real reviewer yet. It was more or less the same thing with the Fimi Mini. Remember that cell phone reviewer got one of the first ones and tried to hover it on a table and crashed it.

The hubsan flight time was impressive though.
Jun 17, 2021, 08:16 PM
I do wonder why Fimi and Hubsan would early-release their drones to incompetent reviewers. It makes me wonder if those drones are stolen during early-production, as opposed to intentional releases. But Hubsan's own staff evidently lacks basic flying skills; unless we're convinced that a low battery makes a drone that irratic indoors. How does that translate into proper firmware testing, etc?

It will be a miracle if... ... ...
Jun 18, 2021, 09:42 PM
I'm not making any excuses for that hubsan mini demo but he had to force it up with full throttle to keep it from landing, even before the 40min mark. You might say it's a dangerous feature to allow this kind of thing as it's bound to end in a crash once the batteries are empty. The again if you were low on battery and had 10 more feet to go for dry land, you would love this feature. It's a gamble.

On the Hubsan demo, he should have landed right after the 40min mark. Folks would have been just as impressed and they'd have gotten more buzz on folks wondering how much longer it could have gone if he hadn't landed. Leave them wanting more ;-)
Jun 18, 2021, 10:24 PM
Quote:
I'm not making any excuses for that hubsan mini demo but he had to force it up with full throttle to keep it from landing, even before the 40min mark.
My take from the demo was that Hubsan's published specs for the Mini Pro of 37 minutes hovering in still air was spot on. (40 minutes flying at 6m/s in still air.)
Jun 19, 2021, 03:50 PM
Received my Mini FIMI yesterday, it really flies nicely, and is more punchy than my mini 2 : i like that! the app is really complete, pictures are nice, videos are ok (a little darker on the sides but i didn't try to play in the settings yet)

I'm just waiting for FIMI to release the batteries (standard and PRO) to get some more
one little drawback: too bad there isn't a little switch on the radio to change flight modes like on the DJI mini 2

great little quad! thanks FIMI
Jun 19, 2021, 08:13 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsfromheaven
We can probably assume a method similar to the X8 SE. But you'll have to beg Fimi support for older firmware for now...

Historical repositories will emerge over time but the latest firmware here:
https://www.fimi.com/download-fimi-x8-mini.html

Follow the instructions here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=6593

BTW, sorry to see the quality control issue you've encountered. Is it going back to B&H soon?
Thanks, good to know. Mine is finally on the way back to BH photo and video for refund yesterday. I kept it for a while longer.

I will say one thing, I did not have the reported disconnect issues. Mine had excellent range.

One thing did happen on my final flight with it, figured I'd just share this video real quick. I'm pretty sure it was the wind, but still, the gimbal went a bit freaky.

X8 Fimi Mini Last Flight Before Return to B&H (11 min 17 sec)
Last edited by JohnCC; Jun 20, 2021 at 01:08 AM.
Jun 23, 2021, 08:07 PM

Quality Control issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
[...]
Mine is finally on the way back to BH photo and video for refund yesterday. I kept it for a while longer.

I will say one thing, I did not have the reported disconnect issues. Mine had excellent range.

One thing did happen on my final flight with it, figured I'd just share this video real quick. I'm pretty sure it was the wind, but still, the gimbal went a bit freaky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ajgnvHePGQ
I think the disconnect issue with Marcus (Idaho Quadcopter) is an un-connected or un-grounded antenna (shield accidentally soldered to the core). So I think it's a one-off, but it smacks of quality control issues that should be caught before shipment.

Yep, I've had that same 'flail-recover-flail' gimbal behavior one time with my X8-2020. I assumed it was because I did a hand-startup and launch without providing any steady ground time before launch. After all, I was surrounded by sand on a beach. That and other isolated incidents with steady but 45 degree horizon-tilt, became the motivation behind item #4 in this list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsfromheaven

Ya know, there is a scenario where this drone is worth $399, while arguably deserving to outsell the Mini 1 hence forth. But it currently defies logic based on our experience with Fimi. Perhaps Xiaomi can shake up the team as follows...

Key:
Highly likely
Hopefully but not assured
Not likely
Perhaps in order of importance:
  • 4. a level of refinement that gets it airborne in the same time as a Mini 1 or 2 from a hand-launch,
So based on your experience (X8 Mini) combined with my own (X8 SE 2020), I'm not so sure that the X8 Mini will prove to be 'refined' enough to handle hand-startup and hand-launch without leading to major gimbal issues.
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; Jun 25, 2021 at 01:59 AM. Reason: wording

Quick Reply