Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Mad_angler1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 01, 2021, 06:17 AM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Mad_angler1's Avatar
Thread OP
Video

FAA Remote ID is Here - Everything You Need To Know


FAA Remote ID

In this video I cover ins and outs of the new Remote ID that a come into force and that all drones and model RC will need to comply with over the next few years.

I explain the full situation in this video and what you need to do to comply.

FAA Remote ID - A Complete Overview For Drones & Model RC (14 min 17 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2021, 12:44 PM
Registered User
PilotAndy1994's Avatar
Don't know, don't care...They ain't getting a dime from me. I fly for free out here in god's country....The feds can go pull their bottom lip over their head, and swallow.
Jan 07, 2021, 09:43 AM
Registered User
Dan Richardson's Avatar
Very well done video, appreciate especially the forecasting of things to come as it really does not look so bad. Basically: register vehicles w/FAA, add module, then fly.

Time will tell however as to the cost impact of the modules and other upgrades needed to comply.
Jan 10, 2021, 08:51 PM
FG
FG
Registered User
FG's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotAndy1994
Don't know, don't care...They ain't getting a dime from me. I fly for free out here in god's country....The feds can go pull their bottom lip over their head, and swallow.
I'm gonna agree with you from a Canadian perspective. TC Canada can do the same.

I was part of a club out west last year and because of the time it takes to drive there and back its hardly worth it for me. (most of the time I'm flying alone at the field anyway). I was flying a Larger Electric Helicopter (flying rogue) most of the summer anyway. So that said I SOLD it (because of the size and dangerous factor of it flying rogue), and bought a 230 S RTF V2, (already have a Blade 450). This way I can fly in the local school yard just down the street from my house. It has an upper and lower football field. Big enough for me to fly my smaller ships in. That said, if you look at the TC Canada Aero-drome map where I live they purposely included the local Centenial (4) diamond baseball fields in the Aero-Drome circle so that nobody can go fly in it. I know they did this on purpose. But as far as I'm concerned, ***k em. I'm gonna fly there anyway. My Heli's are under 250g's.
Last edited by FG; Jan 10, 2021 at 09:58 PM.
Jan 10, 2021, 09:48 PM
Registered User
I really don't think that you 230 and 450 are under 250 grams. The 180 is of 200 grams. You got basically 32 months. After all new helis will come with there little black box.



Quote:
Originally Posted by FG
And bought a 230 S RTF V2, (already have a Blade 450). I'm gonna fly there anyway. My Heli's are under 250g's.
Jan 10, 2021, 09:50 PM
Registered User
FAA Remote ID Final Ruling - Is it Truly Final? (20 min 11 sec)
Jan 10, 2021, 10:12 PM
FG
FG
Registered User
FG's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky732
I really don't think that you 230 and 450 are under 250 grams. The 180 is of 200 grams. You got basically 32 months. After all new helis will come with there little black box.
I'm basically done with big Heli's now. I bought the 230 S V2 second hand from a guy on kijiji. Its not the *new* version with SMART. The Blade 450 obviously doesn't have anything black box related. So I'm good in that respect. My Carbon Cub Z SS is the PNP version with an older AR6200 RX in it. The ID doesnt affect us Canadians unless we buy newer equipment after the 32 months I assume...? The way I see it is regardless if were in Canada or the US or where ever the ID boxs are gonna be in any electronics purchased after such and such a date. It's up to the individual countries to get em hooked up as to be seen online or GPS or how ever they work. So far I haven't heard anything about TC Canada instilling this amendment to the already existing rules. Rest assured, Canadian modellers arn't gonna be happy and or take it lightly. This whole thing is gonna dwindle the hobbyist numbers thats for sure. What I don't understand is why do they want to clear the airspace...? Are they doing this so drone delivey companies can make $$....or are we expecting an alien armada to come to our salvation...? lol.

*YES* I understand the air traffic safety priority.

**Just watched the whole video. All I can say is "WoW" ! You have to be kidding me...? Even if it's not a Drone (airplane with ID, helicopter with ID), you can't fly it till it connects with a location station. So if it doesn't connect your SOL and can't fly. Ok thats just BS. Even though I'm in Canada, I'm kinda glad now that I'm downsizing and can fly closer to home outside the Aero-Drome Circle I mentioned before. I'm sure its eventually coming to Canada the ID locating stuff. Unreal, just unreal.

Quote:
People think the FAA is behind this...they are not.

There is now money to be made in the same airspace hobbyists have been safely flying for generations. $$$ tells the FAA the time of the RC hobby is over, then it is up to the FAA to write-up "rules" to end the RC flying hobby as we know it.

It's very simple really...
Quote:
To protect big business from colliding with flying toys. Period. Billionaires protect billionaires & their giant corporations
Last edited by FG; Jan 10, 2021 at 11:05 PM.
Jan 11, 2021, 10:33 AM
Registered User
Dan Richardson's Avatar
What am I missing, re-watched the nice video from MadAngler and have read the available source documents (from FAA and others), just don't see much more than: register vehicles w/FAA, add module to "drone" (mostly software addition to existing hardware likely), then fly. I didn't read anything about connection requirements prior to flying, that was considered previously, but is not in the "current" requirements.

I know the Devil is in the details and all of this is total BS to begin with, but considering what cold have happened already, this is nothing!

That being said, I don't accept that this is the last word from the RC Community, nor should it be left to the government and/or big business to decide. Get out and vote, petition, etc.
Jan 12, 2021, 09:37 AM
Registered User
PilotAndy1994's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FG
I'm gonna agree with you from a Canadian perspective. TC Canada can do the same.

I was part of a club out west last year and because of the time it takes to drive there and back its hardly worth it for me. (most of the time I'm flying alone at the field anyway). I was flying a Larger Electric Helicopter (flying rogue) most of the summer anyway. So that said I SOLD it (because of the size and dangerous factor of it flying rogue), and bought a 230 S RTF V2, (already have a Blade 450). This way I can fly in the local school yard just down the street from my house. It has an upper and lower football field. Big enough for me to fly my smaller ships in. That said, if you look at the TC Canada Aero-drome map where I live they purposely included the local Centenial (4) diamond baseball fields in the Aero-Drome circle so that nobody can go fly in it. I know they did this on purpose. But as far as I'm concerned, ***k em. I'm gonna fly there anyway. My Heli's are under 250g's.
Right. Unless you have a large crowd of people flying near or with you, you should be fine. Hell, even the cops watched me fly my carbon Z cessna doing wild aerobatics in a big field right next to a busy highway. They got a kick out of it. Most law enforcement will be clueless about it. Unless we have a big incident that gets media attention, cops won't know the difference.
Jan 12, 2021, 11:51 PM
FG
FG
Registered User
FG's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotAndy1994
Right. Unless you have a large crowd of people flying near or with you, you should be fine. Hell, even the cops watched me fly my carbon Z cessna doing wild aerobatics in a big field right next to a busy highway. They got a kick out of it. Most law enforcement will be clueless about it. Unless we have a big incident that gets media attention, cops won't know the difference.
Exactly !

Update: Omg I how did I miss this. I just watched a video about GM inventing personal air Taxi service with 4 rotor vehicles. So in reality this is why the FAA ultimatley wants to clear the air. For personal passenger air drones (flying cars call it what you will), Businesses to deliver product by automated Ai controlled drones. Drone air traffic. No room for model toys anymore. Watch out guys. Model manufacturers will one day stop producing our model aircraft. Mark my words....there's gonna be a day when you will only see model aircraft in a historical museum. People will look at it as a by gone era in thier grandfathers day or great great grandfathers day. It all makes sense now as to "Why"...? Remote controlled modeling will become a thing of the past. And its gonna happen faster than we want to let it happen. Were doomed. They'll have to pry my Tx and aircraft out of my cold dead hands before I'll give it up.
Last edited by FG; Jan 13, 2021 at 01:00 AM.


Quick Reply
Message:
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion FAA drone remote ID/Location transmitter. John Gallagher Sailplane Talk 707 Mar 22, 2021 03:24 PM
Discussion FAA Remote ID ends the FPV hobby as we know it rockyboy2 Life, The Universe, and Politics 96 Mar 12, 2020 10:39 AM
Question How Will Spektrum/Horizon Handle the New FAA Remote ID Rules? GRW3 Radios 46 Jan 06, 2020 04:01 PM
Idea We need an "Everything you need to know about 7.2 batteries" sticky Steve Bad Dock Talk 16 Mar 12, 2018 11:42 AM
Discussion FAA to seek remote ID of "drones" kallend Model Aircraft & Drone Advocacy 79 Jul 20, 2017 03:08 AM