3D Printed Pneumatic Engine Powered Plane

OK, this is pretty cool. YouTuber Tom Stanton put together a great video shown below of his experiments with making a 3D printed pneumatic engine for an airplane.

Splash

3D Printed Pneumatic Engine

OK, this is pretty cool. YouTuber Tom Stanton put together a great video shown below of his experiments with making a 3D printed pneumatic engine for an airplane. The video is very well done and it's a fun watch to see his progression on the design and attempts to get it flying.

The pneumatic engine is made of mostly 3D printed parts and the airplane uses 3D printed ribs in the wing. The video was released earlier this month and has already been seen over 1.5 million times. Check it out below.

What do you think he could do to improve the design?

Pneumatic Plane (11 min 45 sec)

Dec 31, 2020, 12:28 PM
hello

very exciting

Stl of motor available for experiment ??

thank
Dec 31, 2020, 12:49 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
You’d have to contact him. I didn’t see a link to any files.
Dec 31, 2020, 02:54 PM
STL Files were featured on main page of thingiverse like couple weeks ago:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4663285
Dec 31, 2020, 06:10 PM
thank
Dec 31, 2020, 07:04 PM
My cat moderates better
If it's the video I saw a few weeks ago I suggested to him that he should perhaps look at using a rotary valve for controlling the airflow into the cylinder and a plain old spring & ball system to control the pressure/flow.
Jan 02, 2021, 10:10 AM
Keep Flying
That was very interesting, i rarely sit threw a whole 12min u tube video.lol im a lot older maybe that's it , but i will go to Bardwell "yes i know im going to learn something today" if i hear that one more time lol but skip threw his 20 min til i find what i need..he has a great channel, i just cant sit threw it all...
But this is amazing,,i guess your an engineer or something of that level..you have more patience ,brains and talent then i will ever have for building models LOL...i really enjoyed how you made the 3d models and demonstrated how the engine worked... what would i suggest you to it,, go to a local model shop and buy a 6ft wingspan balsa hangar 9 p51 or something of that order and go out and have a blast,,but as my wife says if everyone thought like i do we all be still living in caves ..Lol ... so good luck on your on your project and i hope to see one day models with motors being driven by compressed air.

Ron
Jan 02, 2021, 02:13 PM
AMA: L68621, FCC: WA2LLX
There seems to be a larger field on the other side of the fence with nothing to crash into...maybe it's private property.

Anyway this is pretty cool! I'll get started on my quarter scale Airbus Industries Super Guppy fuselage transport plane. That big fat fuselage could hold lot's of compressed air.

Nice to see young people with some smarts doing interesting things!

John
Jan 02, 2021, 11:53 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Brilliant!
Jan 03, 2021, 10:09 AM
Goes to eleven!
Very cool project!!

Keep it up - will subscribe!

Joe

Quick Reply