to remove ads between posts
Jun 05, 2005, 10:17 PM
AustinTatious
phil barnes 1st

Paul anderson 2nd

Joe wurts 3rd
Jun 05, 2005, 10:38 PM

Poway

Tough conditions today. Thermals were spotty and you only got one chance if you guessed wrong (which I seem to excel at). Watching those top ten pilots in the flyoff was amazing, and after I shake off my poor performance, they will serve to inspire me to practice even harder.

The contest ran nearly flawlessly, was attended by folks from Brazil, Japan, New Zealand, France. Don't know the final tally on the East Coast vs. West Coast rivalry, but being from the West, I'll say we got two of the top three spots

Nice to meet you Austin. Hope to see you and your Lone Star contengency next year!

Clay
Jun 05, 2005, 10:43 PM
There are always some problems, I felt sorry for the folks that had to re-fly their round because the PA system went down.
Jun 05, 2005, 10:50 PM
AustinTatious
Yes, Clay nice meeting you as well. i will surly return and hopefully next time fly to my full potential. It was a great learning experience.
Jun 05, 2005, 11:12 PM

Pictures

Hi Guys,

IHLGF is a really nice experience for me, although I flew sucks
Here are some pictures I took..

-Kai
Jun 05, 2005, 11:44 PM
Lift is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious
phil barnes 1st

Paul anderson 2nd

Joe wurts 3rd

Anybody know what planes they were flying at Poway?
Jun 06, 2005, 12:24 AM
Incredible contest. By far the most fun I've ever had flying gliders. It was great to meet so many of you guys in person. In fact, Kai@UCSB's Photon and my Gee had a very unique meeting about 75' up, resulting in locked tails, a slow downward spiral, a last minute seperation, and, luckily, no damage to either plane.

Will post some pictures tomorrow.
Jun 06, 2005, 05:34 AM
Got Vandal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven
Anybody know what planes they were flying at Poway?
Phil Barns- Taboo GT and XP4 variant
Paul Anderson- 6 channel Raptor and 5 channel Photon
Joe Wurts- 6 channel Encores

Had a great time. Amazing pilots.

Also nice to meet you in person Austin, you flew a great contest.
Jun 06, 2005, 10:42 AM
AustinTatious
Quote:
Also nice to meet you in person Austin, you flew a great contest.
Ha! Id say i Flew IN a great contest, however , I personnally did not fly near as well as I am capable of. If I had done well but still had a bad score I woudl not feel the frustration i do now. Ohh well I guess Ill have to do better Next year!
Jun 06, 2005, 11:11 AM
jrerickson
Hey Austin,

Don't be so hard on yourself! You flew really well, especially for the first time at Poway. I know a couple of times it was just because you hadn't flown the tasks before and you got mixed up on the difference between longest flight and total time.

Poway is a great contest and on any given day there are at least a couple dozen guys who could win. To make the top ten is a great accomplishment. I think all of it is relative. I kept kicking myself for some decisions I made in the fly off, yet I know there are a lot of other pilots that would have been very, very happy just to get into in the fly off.

Good to meet you in person and hope to see you and the Texas crew at the contest next year.

John Erickson
Jun 06, 2005, 11:37 AM
John, we all winced with you with as we saw you coming back from that long run towards the road after not finding the lift you were looking for in the fly-off rounds. Gutsy move, too bad it didn't work out.
Jun 06, 2005, 12:08 PM
jrerickson
Brian,

That was the flight that kind of did me in. If I could have hung with everyone else I think I could have placed as high as 4th. Oh well, it was worth the try. I honestly thought I read the air right, but the conditions were so tough that unless you were just on that little bubble of warm air, you were shot.

At Poway you know you are going to end up way downwind and low in the afternoon; there is a serious pucker factor about when and if you can come home. I thought this hobby was supposed to be relaxing :-)

Wouldn't trade it for a thing!

John Erickson
Jun 06, 2005, 01:58 PM
Paul Anderson
Joe wurts also flew a blaster in at least 1 round. And I flew an XP-4 for the early rounds, then switched to the Photon or Raptor later in the afternoon when the winds picked up.

Paul Anderson

Quick Reply