Feb 23, 2021, 01:00 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the tip Mgnostic. I'm stalled on the Pfalz build at the moment, not likely I'll finish her this winter. It's not like I don't have anything to fly this spring.

Phil
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2021, 08:09 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
I’m a fan of the Pfalz D.III - it is a nice looking plane. They mostly left the factory in an overall silver-gray color, but some of the Jastas painted them in interesting colors. Brian’s fine D-IIIa model looks striking in the Jasta 18 colors of Max Hitschler- that’s one of my favorites!

Another one that is unique, and not too hard to do is Hans-Georg von Der Marwitz’s D-IIIa from Jasta 30. He was known for painting all his aircraft an overall “burgundy” color. ( You get to open a bottle of wine to color match!). Coupled with the Jasta 30 orange diamonds, it makes for a striking scheme that isn’t too hard to do…

I did it up in a build of a 1/72 scale plastic model- I like how it came out…..
Oct 30, 2021, 08:40 PM
Thread OP
Your 1/72 model looks great. I'll probably do a silver grey number with some distinguishing markings as in the attached pics. I kind of like the captured version with the Buddhist swastika.

I'm set to continue where I left off last spring.
Oct 30, 2021, 08:49 PM
Thread OP
The Ambroid is around 35 years old, too thick to be of any use but for an occasional whiff which really takes me back.
Dec 03, 2021, 09:30 PM

Great planes on this thread .....

..... so I will subscribe. Laramie.
Dec 04, 2021, 06:38 PM
Thread OP
Ok, so I've been mucking about looking at the motor mount. I'm figuring to use a Park 450 instead of a 480 since space in the nose is at a premium, the 480 would've been over kill anyway. Going to fabricate a firewall that will mount on F2, and the space between F1 and F2 will be a cowl. I wish I had seen this eventualty at the beginning of the project, it would've saved me some trial and error.
Dec 04, 2021, 07:59 PM
Thread OP
Correction, the firewall will be at F3, the cowling will be from F2 to F1.

Another correction , since the first former is number 0, the motor will be mounted to F 2 after all.
Last edited by phillip57; Dec 05, 2021 at 09:55 PM.
Dec 05, 2021, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57
Correction, the firewall will be at F3, the cowling will be from F2 to F1.
Just curious, what are you doing for a battery hatch?
Dec 05, 2021, 09:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgnostic
Just curious, what are you doing for a battery hatch?
Don't know yet, depends on how it's looking for balance. Fuselage bottom or under the faux engine behind the motor.

Phil
Last edited by phillip57; Dec 08, 2021 at 12:30 AM.
Dec 07, 2021, 09:09 AM
phillip57,

My Pfalz is the one back on post #2. I used the same motor and actually put the battery under the dummy engine. This was fabricated in such a way that the base plate for the engine slid forward and was held by a tab and a screw, of course the battery was underneath, you will need forward ballast so might as well make it useful.
Dec 07, 2021, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by destrat
phillip57,

My Pfalz is the one back on post #2. I used the same motor and actually put the battery under the dummy engine. This was fabricated in such a way that the base plate for the engine slid forward and was held by a tab and a screw, of course the battery was underneath, you will need forward ballast so might as well make it useful.

I realize with the 450, I'll have to concentrate on forward balast, bringing the battery and servos forward.
Last edited by phillip57; Dec 09, 2021 at 01:02 AM.
Dec 08, 2021, 12:07 PM

Very nice old Plalz Dlll.

with a very nice motor installation, but that conical front fuselage does lend itself well. Laramie.
Dec 08, 2021, 12:18 PM

Duco cement .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57
The Ambroid is around 35 years old, too thick to be of any use but for an occasional whiff which really takes me back.
..... available at my local Ace Hardwere store, is what took its place. Just out of curiosity, how did you keep it 35 years & it didn't dry solid as a rock? Mine totally dried in just, like 3 or 4 years! Laramie.

Quick Reply