Dec 25, 2020, 11:03 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Simple Tracked Chassis

I am interested in a tracked vehicle that is simple and not based on Arduino or Raspberry Pi , etc. I don't want guns or arms or anything too complicated to start with. Every time I see something interesting, usually on Banggood, they either don't give you links and/ or files or, if they do, the links don't work! The other videos I've seem, that do have links, are a series of a link to a link to another link and code and files to download, but I know nothing and it looks a little daunting.
I have found many tracked chassis with 2 motors. The new DumboRC 6 channel transmitter and receiver have a mixing channel/ feature. They also make a dual ESC that can power two motors for exactly this kind of purpose, but after only 1 year from the intro, they are hard to find now. Anybody got any ideas on how to get into this without being overwhelmed? Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2020, 09:37 AM
If you have a 3D printer:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2753227
I have built one of these. It went together very well.
Dec 28, 2020, 03:13 PM
Thread OP
There are MANY designs and remixes of 3-D printed tanks on there. I initially looked at this one:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2414983

There are something like 53 remixes of it! He uses 96 3MM screws and nuts to put the track segments together - he's hardware crazy!
That led to NoTanks:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2789361

And its many variations/ remixes.

When I look at the chassis that can be bought with motors, I can see why guys got into 3-D printing their own. The purchased ones are small. If you go bigger, the price goes up exponentially. The thing that I think is crazy is printing out 96 links and putting them all together when you can at least buy the tracks and sprockets already made.
I don't have a printer of my own. I would either have to camp out at a local library that has one or send it out to be printed by a guy on RC Groups to get it done.
I do like that version of a 3-D printed tank you did. Instead of doing the Raspberry Pi and other stuff I don't know, I was think more of the car-based stuff. I've see the Tamiya twin motor/gearbox set up on others. I'm not sure which brushed ESC's to use. I would try the new DumboRC 6 channel transmitter and receiver. It's too bad, but Dumbo has/had a 10A double ESC that is not only meant for a 2 motor vehicle, but also includes a tap for a buzzer and another one for LED lights. Unfortunately, after only 1 year of being around, it's very hard to find now. I know a lot of the components are available from places like Banggood and AliExpress, but when yuo have a part you need or a build you'd like to do, the wait time from China has gotten ridiculous. Keeping purchases here, in the US, is also a goal, if possible.
Last edited by kodak_jack; Dec 28, 2020 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply