Dec 24, 2020, 11:18 AM
Go Gondos
Thread OP
Build Log

Mig-3 by ESM

I was lucky to find the discontinued ARF two years ago,,, nice guy met me at the Last Toledo show,,, Has sat since while I slowly finished other projects,,, was up for sale,, you could have owned it, but no,, nothing but dreamers and tire kicker ever showed interest

I had a water heater line go a couple nights ago, caused some minor basement flooding,,, bottom of the box got a little wet, I had to toss it,, so that puts her to the front of the build line

Always loved the lines of the mig-3 since back in the mid 90's warbird racing days when I scratch built one based on the Romin Research plans,, sadly I never took pictures of that one

Anyway,, mocked her up to get some inspiration
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2020, 01:50 PM
Lucky man you are!!
Dec 24, 2020, 02:37 PM
Go Gondos
Thread OP
Yes,, I am thankful
Dec 24, 2020, 02:52 PM
Go Gondos
Thread OP
Decided to start in the tail and work my way forward,,

Noticed something interesting,, the covering is clear iron on,, then painted after,,, this is great because I plan to do a scheme modification and some weathering,, I should be able to paint right over this with very little prep,, might go with a winterish camo like the second one in the picture below

Things I don't like,, CA hinges,, C'mon man,, no way,, Robarts going in

The bell crank has to go, Lost my World Models Zero to a similar system that failed,, even though this is pull pull,,, naah don't think so,, started adding servos in the tail for elevators Hitec 5645mg should do the job just fine

as you can see,, screwed up already,, miss calculated how large the hatch can be

Servo and mounting hatch is a tight squeeze,, but I got her in there,, the other side should go more smoothly

Will need to fill that little gap between the hatch and cut out before I repair the covering,,, no biggie,
Dec 24, 2020, 03:53 PM
I will follow your project!!
Dec 24, 2020, 06:04 PM
Go Gondos
Thread OP
Cool,, Glad you're on board Jiri,,, Did you make the Spinners VQ now Legend sells for these?
Dec 25, 2020, 03:15 AM
ESM kits were/ are great flying! I had their Stuka, Dauntless and La-7.
I did spinner for the La-7, but I am not sure about the right shape for MiG-3
Dec 25, 2020, 04:05 AM
I looked at the spinner. If you will not find any designed for MiG 3, you may use some for P-40. The shape is very similar.

What engine will you use?
Dec 25, 2020, 06:48 AM
Go Gondos
Thread OP
Yes, the p-40 shape looks to be very close, I already have bought a Dave Brown spinner,, was just curious and if I go with a 3 blade, that would be an option

Engine most likely will be a DA50s
Dec 25, 2020, 10:15 AM
Are you going to convert it to a 3 piece wing? Who’s retracts...
Dec 25, 2020, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Yes, the p-40 shape looks to be very close, I already have bought a Dave Brown spinner,, was just curious and if I go with a 3 blade, that would be an option

Engine most likely will be a DA50s
I have a DLE55RE in my first that flew the plane fantastic... I also found a NIB not too long ago, I will put a DLA-64 in that when I get to it.
Dec 25, 2020, 11:24 AM
Go Gondos
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mptolomey
Are you going to convert it to a 3 piece wing? Who’s retracts...
I thought about it,, but probably not, 80" span is no big deal for me

I plan to use a set of Robart 630 series I hav that are already converted to EP with Lado actuators, just will need straight struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mptolomey
I have a DLE55RE in my first that flew the plane fantastic... I also found a NIB not too long ago, I will put a DLA-64 in that when I get to it.
Cool,,
Dec 25, 2020, 11:37 AM
Go Gondos
Thread OP
Cleaned up the gap on the one hatch and got the other done this morning

I don't like the gap and the fact where the tube goes through is just thin fiberglass,, made a couple ply plated to reinforce that area,, going to be tricky getting them back there, but I can get my hand back there,
Last edited by scale_only; Dec 25, 2020 at 12:16 PM.
Dec 25, 2020, 12:09 PM
This thread is like a torture for me! I wish to find some other ESM kits NIB.

I had ROTO 35 in my ESM La-7. Perfect for scale flying! TOW was about 7,5kg and after remake 8,3kg.
Dec 25, 2020, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prekin
This thread is like a torture for me! I wish to find some other ESM kits NIB.

I had ROTO 35 in my ESM La-7. Perfect for scale flying! TOW was about 7,5kg and after remake 8,3kg.
I was lucky to find a NIB ESM P40 last year, halfway though that build with a Roto 85FSI

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=281245

Quick Reply