Dec 19, 2020, 08:16 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Rave

Hangar 9 P-51D Mustang Sport 40 ARF (PTS)

Hello good people,

This model is perhaps the perfect Glow -to- Electric Conversion Project I have ever encountered. It is just too bad that this model has been discontinued.

Conversion Summary:

1. I am using a more Rearward Center-Of-Gravity location than what the manual calls out for and it has flown without any issues and without any bad habits. Flap use did NOT exhibit any ballooning or pitch upwards manners.

2. Tried the Du-Bro Plastic Spinner and resulted in horrible vibrations. Tossed out that Du-bro Spinner and purchased the E-Flite 2.5-inch diameter ALL ALUMINUM Spinner and NO MORE vibrations.

3. I decided to use the Electric Retracts from the recently released E-Flite P-51D 1500mm Mustang “Lou IV” finish. These retracts assemblies carry the E-Flite Part Number EFLG01251. Since Horizon Hobby doesn't seem to advertise detailed measurements (Strut Length data, tire diameter, etc. etc..), it was not a perfect Turn-Key Installation. Both the Stock Tires and those Tires from the Electric Retracts are just too large in diameter to make them work on the Hangar9 P-51 PTS 40. The Wing Tube is in the way for starters to be able and enlarge the tire opening on the wing assemblies. Instead of returning these Retracts, I decided to use hobby skills that I have acquired from my other Glow -to- Electric conversion experiences and have been working on internal wing mods to make these work. For tires, I found the Du-bro 2.75 inch diameter (Rubber, Low Bounce) tires to be the perfect fit for the stock pre-cut opening on the wing assemblies.

4. This model did NOT require any dead weight up front to satisfy the Center -Of- Gravity location, apart from the selected Motor and keeping the selected Electronic Speed Controller and external BEC within the Chin Scoop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Details - Sort of.....

This is where my adventures started:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...stang-Red-Tail

Here's an old Article on this model:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...etracts-Review

I have recently converted a long discontinued HANGAR9 P-51D Mustang (PTS) of 58 - 1/4 inch wing span (Balsa & Light Plywood) to Electric Power. This HANGAR9 model is the (PTS) = Progressive Trainer Series. It is very light for it's size and in my opinion the construction is very similar to many of 3D airplane models with wing tube securing and the FUSE with lots of covering instead of solid sheeting all around allowing it to be super light.

My goals were to continue to keep it as light as possible all the while keeping the Center-Of-Gravity target in mind and I settled with the SUPPO 3520/6 Motor (840Kv), HobbyWing 80-AMP ESC, Castle Creations BEC PRO and swinging the APC 12 X 10-E and using nothing larger than 4-Cells, 4,000mAH, 35C, Lithium Polymers. ( Both the ESC & BEC PRO sitting in the Chin Scoop for maximum Air Flow). Additionally, it was fitted with the E-Flite 2-Blade ALL ALUMINUM Spinner (2.5 inch diameter). It zooms with zest appeal and even with the heavy fix gear and heavy HANGAR9 Rubber Tires.

For some reason the previous owner decided to install high Speed Digital (Tower Pro) servos for Flap function and during my maiden flight one of these high speed digital servos on Right Wing Flap Function decided to blow (miniature shot gun blast) and it burned a hole through the side servo casing. This was before my External BEC was wired in the model and I lost the Receiver (Command & Control) of the model and it crashed landed and broke off the Right main fix landing gear mount. I am presently considering to install the E-Flite 1.5m Mustang's Retracts as I was able to obtain the dimensions from Jason U., from Horizon Hobbies Technical Dept and the Retracts are a dead-on for my discontinued HANGAR9 Mustang model.

I just fell in love with the HANGAR9 version with the bright Silver Covering and invasion stripes and don't mind those inaccurate details at all as it satisfies my overall goals to the mark.

HANGAR9 is shy of 5 - 1/2 lbs. Fully Flight Ready so, it is definitely light for its size.

EDIT: The following Video shows the Right Fix Main Gear coming off. Just have not found a strong adhesive to keep the mount secure on landing stresses. I almost always get at least one flight as the take-off doesn't result in too much stress on the JB Wells. HA!

3rd flight of my HANGAR9 P-51D Mustang (58 - 1/4 inch wing span):
3rd Flight of the Hangar9 P-51 RED TAIL PTS 12-15-2020 (7 min 8 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2020, 10:38 AM
Arrowhead
I agree 100% with that sentiment! Easy conversion, sturdy construction, benign flight characteristics. Great everyday bird. I have the E-Flite T-34 PTS as well, and would not trade it for anything.

I see now that Seagull seems to have continued the PTS concept; they have a small P-47 and a new small P-51 that come with the removable NACA extensions.
Dec 19, 2020, 03:40 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

Retract Mods coming along nicely!

Now got to do the Left Main Gear!

Hangar9 P 51D PTS Electric Retract Modification 12 19 2020 (1 min 40 sec)
Dec 29, 2020, 08:15 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

Electric Retracts Complete!

Finally finished my Electric Servo-less retract modifications on my Hangar9 P-51D Mustang RED TAIL PTS (Progressive Trainer Series).

Hangar9 P 51D Mustang PTS Glow to Electric Conversion Retract Demo Video 12 29 2020 (5 min 20 sec)
Dec 30, 2020, 01:25 PM
Arrowhead
Nice work, Pitts! Looking forward to your flight report.

One thing I thought of with the conversion to retracts is the loss of the forward rake on the gear. Ground handling (especially on grass) is going to require a lot more up elevator.
Dec 30, 2020, 08:47 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Nice work, Pitts! Looking forward to your flight report.

One thing I thought of with the conversion to retracts is the loss of the forward rake on the gear. Ground handling (especially on grass) is going to require a lot more up elevator.
Believe it or not, the results provided good amount of forward rake. The model tracked very well on the ground and even on the rather bumpy Taxiway heading to the main Textile Runway. Of course I didn't ride on the Right Rudder like I needed to, however, this model has a large amount of wing area (exactly 626 sq.-in.) and the take off was the width of the Runway as it veered to the Left and it was airborne in less than 50 feet which is the width of the runway.

My satisfaction was beyond my expectations as the retracts securing was ROCK SOLID in my efforts with patiently cutting and custom fitting all the HARDWOOD within the wing assemblies to make a very good and solid installation of these retracts. The Du-Bro 2.75-inch diameter low bounce tires did their job as the model NEVER bounced at all and in the following Video you will see a picture perfect Touch & Go (aborted landing) and the landing itself which was a tight turn correction and resulted in a ONE WHEEL landing and again, NO BOUNCE.

I am thrilled and super happy with the results!

Here's the Video: (Make sure you select 1080P HD and FULL Screen!)

Hangar9 P 51D Mustang PTS Glow to Electric Conversion Retract Flight Successful 12 30 2020 (6 min 1 sec)
Dec 30, 2020, 10:11 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
The resulting Rake Forward was realized with a good amount of it and never did the model at anytime even gave the tendency to nose over, even going off the textile runway and steering the model back (while on Grass) to the hard and smooth runway surface.

Dec 31, 2020, 05:03 PM
Arrowhead
Congrats! Now I'm even more keen to convert mine.

I'm envious of you guys in Florida - green grass at the end of December! Sheesh.
Dec 31, 2020, 06:21 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

Underside Covering came loose - 2nd Flight from 12-30-2020

Okay good people,

Some additional data point(s) on what happened during my model's 2nd flight from 12-30-2020 (No Video).

After perhaps 4 minutes in the flight we all observed something hanging from underneath the Right Wing near the flap section. The model did NOT get affected in anyway and continue to fly normally and majestic manner. I immediately called out an emergency landing to all there and came in nice and smooth so, yet another landing with great results.

As it turns out the air pressure came in at the wheel well and forces the 9-year old covering at the rear of wheel well area to rip off the wing with a uneven manner. The rip covering was just flapping shy of the flap on the Right wing area.

I passed by near the RC Club to a buddy's house who recommended for me to Glue the covering back on the wing instead of using the Hobby Iron as any heat will shrink the covering and alignment will not be the same. I went to Walmart locally and found a 3M product that can be used for our Balsa and Light Plywood models with this exact covering such that there are no harmful chemicals that will eat the covering. It was not cheap but, it did the trick and the underside of the Right Wing is back in action.

Lessons learned....... try to seal the edges of the rearward wheel wells, especially considering the age of the model before you go fly with retract openings!

A few pictures of that issue.....
Last edited by PittSpecial; Dec 31, 2020 at 06:33 PM.
Dec 31, 2020, 06:35 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Congrats! Now I'm even more keen to convert mine.

I'm envious of you guys in Florida - green grass at the end of December! Sheesh.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, if you do go at it (retract modification) go slow and nice and easy. Measure and measure again to be sure what you will be cutting really needs to be cut.

I will be here in case you do and I will be happy to give you pointers.

Just PM me.
Dec 31, 2020, 06:57 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

Results on using the 3M Adhesive Spray

Well guys,

The ripped covering is back solid on the wing and thanks to the 3M Adhesive Spray!

Of course, I still need a small area near the wheel well and I have some trim sheets and/or Oracal 651 Vinyl Sheets.

https://www.orafol.com/en/americas/p...termediate-cal

Picture shows the results.....
Jan 02, 2021, 10:34 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

7th Flight of my Glow -To- Electric Conversion!

Guys,

My Glow -to- Electric Conversion Hangar9 P-51D Mustang RED TAIL PTS has reached it's 7th flight from today. Early this morning i logged it's 6th & 7th Flight for 7 minute duration each flight using the 4-Cells, 4,000mAH, 35C , Lithium Polymers.

Please believe me when I tell you that it is not because I now own this model and have worked my ASHE on it to modify it to Electric Servoless Retracts, however, this is by far the best RC Airplane model that I presently own in this category. It's flight manners are just majestic, super responsive and the best for last which is it's Landings, just pure majestic slow down with partial flaps and it kisses the ground and stops right at mid-runway so, everyone can see it.

Today's comments from those that have not seen it fly before have been that the model whistles past thereby, sounds & looks very realistic plus the very good airspeed I have it with the 2-Blade APC 12 X 10-E propeller. Someone else that have seen it fly, another Instructor like myself caution me during a fast low pass that he heard something coming off and it was just the high speed and wing pressure getting into the wheel wells and the Rear Exit FUSE hole (Cooling) flapping the covering at that location due to the in-rush of air going through the FUSE. After that I maintained the model at highway speeds and resisted the urge to apply more than 3/4 throttle, especially during a Cuban-8 or loop maneuver.

Super early this morning and before leaving to my RC Club, I wasted no time and secured the covering near the Wheel Wells, especially those at the rearward location as this area gets blasted with high wind pressure. I used ORACAL (High Durability) Permanent Adhesive Vinyl Covering (used for Professional Signage and other uses). This really locked in the covering edges very well and never did I see anything come off this time!

https://www.airmark.com/products/ora...caAkOmEALw_wcB

A few Pictures Post Flight from today's Sortie(s):
Jan 02, 2021, 11:21 AM
Arrowhead
So what you’re saying is, you’ve been literally flying the covering off!

Don’t blame you! The PTS birds are fantastic everyday flyers. The T-34 that E-Flite had, same thing. Whenever I see either plane come up in the classifieds, I’m tempted to grab a spare. And I’m really tempted to try the P-47 version that Seagull makes, just to round out the collection.
Jan 02, 2021, 05:26 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
So what you’re saying is, you’ve been literally flying the covering off!

Don’t blame you! The PTS birds are fantastic everyday flyers. The T-34 that E-Flite had, same thing. Whenever I see either plane come up in the classifieds, I’m tempted to grab a spare. And I’m really tempted to try the P-47 version that Seagull makes, just to round out the collection.
You are so correct! This is the first time I have owned such a Baby Doll of a model.

Never paid any attention to it because everyone said to me, "Ha, the Progressive Trainer Series," HORIZON really messed up on that one"

Had I known back then what I know now, I would have at least two operational in my fleet and one in reserve at a minimum!

Yes, perhaps the Glow version didn't perform as expected for so many trying to learn in a JUMP START manner into a Warbird instead of a gradual manner like everyone else but, this model in the hands of the correct skill level is just amazing. The Low High Speed Passes are breath taking and everyone stops what they are doing to watch.

I did see one at the Face-Book Market but, the gentleman was just too far away.
Jan 02, 2021, 05:34 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
And I’m really tempted to try the P-47 version that Seagull makes, just to round out the collection.
Yes indeed! I am assuming you are talking about the 63 inch wing span with a whopper of 728.5 Square-Inches of wing area?

https://sigmfg.com/products/seagull-...7g-thunderbolt

It is pretty much on the boarded line in using the power system that I selected for the H9 P-51D RED TAIL PTS as it says that it tips the scale at almost 10 lbs., worse case. If there is anyway I can look at it in person before I attempt in buying it to see if there is anyway I can balance it out with the same SUPPO 3520/6 (840Kv) and the Hobbywing 80-AMP ESC riding at the Chin Scoop for maximum weight distribution up front such that the Center-Of-Gravity be right on the mark without adding DEAD Weight, I would buy it in a heart beat.

Perhaps a trip to GravesRC is in order.

This is why I would NEVER go GLOW!

Demise of a Seagull P47-G (3 min 26 sec)
Last edited by PittSpecial; Jan 02, 2021 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply